2023/24 Sean Dyche

Unless he evolves, it’s possible, we will just have to wait and see.
Has he evolved at all in his complete managerial career?

Admittedly I've not followed it avidly but he always seems to set teams up in a very pragmatic, must not lose , fashion rather than trying to attack.

That's fine you know what you get with him.

Needs must at the moment but I can't say I enjoy his brand of football.

Admittedly ice not followed it avidly but he always seems to set teams up in a very pragmatic, must not lose , fashion rather than trying to attack.

He’s never been at a club the size of Everton where he can and will eventually be expected to play a possession based attacking game. Time will tell if he can adapt.

Let's wait and see if we get a points deduction first. He is the perfect man for us at present and by hook or by crook we now have a spine of good young players to build a team with and some good experienced ones who actually put a shift in too. He has exceeded what I thought he would be able to do with what he inherited. He deserves a chance to develop it.
Yeah I accept that

He’s never been at a club the size of Everton where he can and will eventually be expected to play a possession based attacking game. Time will tell if he can adapt.
I’m not sure that is the expectation at Everton certainly at a professional level (whilst it maybe with some of the fan base) - the last time we truly had a possession based football style was 13-14 under Martinez which then went sour in his next two seasons which put people off, but since then, not so much. Even in Moyes’ 11 years, early Moyes was industrial football until around 2008. Prior to Moyes it certainly wasn’t possession based, so not sure there is an expectation.

I’m not sure that is the expectation at Everton certainly at a professional level (whilst it maybe with some of the fan base) - the last time we truly had a possession based football style was 13-14 under Martinez which then went sour in his next two seasons which put people off, but since then, not so much. Even in Moyes’ 11 years, early Moyes was industrial football until around 2008. Prior to Moyes it certainly wasn’t possession based, so not sure there is an expectation.
I think the game has moved on and it’s pretty obvious that the successful teams play possession football. Everton will need to develop this style to compete, that’s my opinion. Whether that’s under Dyche or another manager, time will tell.

He has improved every single attacking stat since taking over from the imbecile
Aye he has, but as @jazzy quite rightly mentioned the benchmark was pretty darn low. Credit where credit is due, we're on a good run of form at the moment.

It looks as if he's finally found his favourite XI (Patterson for Young would be better), with a decent balance of being resolute at the back and making more chances.

If this can continue throughout the season and we gain safety relatively early, then he'll have done his job. Whether he's got the ability to push us further, let's see.

I think the game has moved on and it’s pretty obvious that the successful teams play possession football. Everton will need to develop this style to compete, that’s my opinion. Whether that’s under Dyche or another manager, time will tell.
Agree that successful teams play possession based football, but that has really always been the case. Just don’t think while we are where we are, there is an expectation. If we are to be successful then we will have to change, I agree there.

Admittedly I've not followed it avidly but he always seems to set teams up in a very pragmatic, must not lose , fashion rather than trying to attack.

….I actually don’t mind watching Dyche Everton. Unlike the ‘hoofball’ stereotype, we get plenty of players forward. We lack quality to exploit situations, just as we saw at West Ham when Harrison broke and had DCL and Doucoure as options ahead of him.

I want to watch an Everton that create and for the first time in a long time I’m getting that with Dyche. I like him, he’s uncomplicated and players seem to buy into what he wants.

Dyche is a safety first manager.

That is absolutely fine for our current situation .

However if ultimately we want to see a progressive , attacking team Dyche isn't your man.
Dyche could well be capable of building that, but he is doing absolutely the right thing now which is making us solid and creating chances.

I think he’s smart enough to know that he will need to develop a side that can also play attractive passing football if he wants to be here long term.

….I actually don’t mind watching Dyche Everton. Unlike the ‘hoofball’ stereotype, we get plenty of players forward. We lack quality to exploit situations, just as we saw at West Ham when Harrison broke and had DCL and Doucoure as options ahead of him.

I want to watch an Everton that create and for the first time in a long time I’m getting that with Dyche. I like him, he’s uncomplicated and players seem to buy into what he wants.
If anything he had too many of the midfield committing / pressing forward in the earlier games this season. The team looks much better balanced at this moment, Onana and Garner in central midfield have been the key to this. The only slight misgiving I have is whether we have the quality / inventiveness / cleverness to unlock teams who will come to Goodison sit in and hit on the counter.

Dyche is just in the middle, a good enough manager to get a team working and to stabilise it but no, we aren’t going to see him evolve into anything better.

He was at Burnley for long enough and they never moved beyond trying not to be relegated as their reason for being. It’s sadly where we are now, he’s fine if all we want to do is stave off relegation but if you want to kick on, you’ll need someone else.