2023/24 Sean Dyche

….I don’t get this ‘he needs a run of games’. Footballers have opportunities to stake a claim for a place and if they fail to take them, then they don’t get selected. Patterson has had plenty.

Like most posters, I want Patterson to be the future but I’m nervous when he plays and Dyche must think the same. Coleman will be back soon, Patterson will be no3 in the queue and that is down to him. If that situation remains, I can actually see a RB on the shopping list next summer.
Do you think Youngs performances this season have been better than Patterson’s?

….I don’t get this ‘he needs a run of games’. Footballers have opportunities to stake a claim for a place and if they fail to take them, then they don’t get selected. Patterson has had plenty.

Like most posters, I want Patterson to be the future but I’m nervous when he plays and Dyche must think the same. Coleman will be back soon, Patterson will be no3 in the queue and that is down to him. If that situation remains, I can actually see a RB on the shopping list next summer.
I completely disagree.

Players , particularly young players need a run of games to build confidence. I think he is a very good attacking full back who will get better.

We look a lot more structurally sound now than we ever did under Benitez or Lampard. He's pretty much doing what we wanted him to when he came in. Settle the ship, make us hard to beat and work hard. Tick.
All of that and it makes such a difference having a focal point up front who can keep the ball and score as well. DCL being fit is huge, hope he stays fit or we are in trouble.

Dyche is a safety first manager.

That is absolutely fine for our current situation .

However if ultimately we want to see a progressive , attacking team Dyche isn't your man.

However if ultimately we want to see a progressive , attacking team Dyche isn't your man.
What kind of criteria do you use to define this type of football?

Personally, I think Dyche has implemented a lot of what I expected, but I think we also play very aesthetically pleasing football at times.

I completely disagree.

Players , particularly young players need a run of games to build confidence. I think he is a very good attacking full back who will get better.

…..points and wins are too important to select footballers who are a risk, in the hope they improve. Patterson has had ‘runs of games’, he has to earn game time. You can’t give youngsters runs of games to determine if they are good enough, they have to show they’re good enough when they get an opportunity.

I’d love Patterson to be the real deal but i can see why Dyche isn’t convinced. Terrific cross gave Danjuma a goal recently but I’ve been generally disappointed with his attacking play, he looks more of a defender to me but one that struggles to cut out crosses.

Let's wait and see if we get a points deduction first. He is the perfect man for us at present and by hook or by crook we now have a spine of good young players to build a team with and some good experienced ones who actually put a shift in too. He has exceeded what I thought he would be able to do with what he inherited. He deserves a chance to develop it.

…..points and wins are too important to select footballers who are a risk, in the hope they improve. Patterson has had ‘runs of games’, he has to earn game time. You can’t give youngsters runs of games to determine if they are good enough, they have to show they’re good enough when they get an opportunity.

I’d love Patterson to be the real deal but i can see why Dyche isn’t convinced. Terrific cross gave Danjuma a goal recently but I’ve been generally disappointed with his attacking play, he looks more of a defender to me but one that struggles to cut out crosses.
I’d say Young is a bigger risk at right back than Patterson. I think this season performances at both right and left back have shown Young to be a huge risk defensively. If he is used it should be as cover for Harrison, he’s looked a lot better at right wing, with someone, a right back, behind him. As far as Patterson “Proving Himself”, he played a number of games last season and his run of appearances was only interrupted because of injury, not because of poor performances.
I do agree though he hadn’t been as effective offensively as I’d hoped, but I feel this will come, he has good qualities in an attacking sense.