Ramadan Mubarak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramadan Mubarak to all. Here’s to a peacful and generous Ramadan.

Seems more noise about this than not previous seasons, and I’m pretty sure when Gana was here last time his performances were not affected (in fact I think he played really well) during Ramadan.

The lads will be allowed to drink etc, there’s no way they can do the job they have without hydrating.
From an Everton point of view I think there is more noise because it effects our whole midfield. Last year it only effected Doucoure who was crap anyway.

I don't think it makes a big difference really though, it's nothing new to them and you would assume they know how to deal with it.

Ramadan Mubarak to all. Here’s to a peacful and generous Ramadan.

Seems more noise about this than not previous seasons, and I’m pretty sure when Gana was here last time his performances were not affected (in fact I think he played really well) during Ramadan.

The lads will be allowed to drink etc, there’s no way they can do the job they have without hydrating.
That doesn't tally with the Doucoure story from last season where he needed to be informed by the ref that sunset had arrived, at which time he ran over to the touchline next break in play to guzzle a load of water.

I've been having blood tests regularly since 2006 which require me to fast for 12 hours prior.

I can't say it's been any sort of a problem besides missing the pleasure of my morning coffee.

I am allowed a little water, but I've never bothered and never felt any physical discomfort with the whole thing.

That doesn't tally with the Doucoure story from last season where he needed to be informed by the ref that sunset had arrived, at which time he ran over to the touchline next break in play to guzzle a load of water.

They have done this throughout their whole life, it won't be an issue.

Not to mention a lot of athletes do intermittent fasting these days with no adverse affect on performance.

I've been having blood tests regularly since 2006 which require me to fast for 12 hours prior.

I can't say it's been any sort of a problem besides missing the pleasure of my morning coffee.

I am allowed a little water, but I've never bothered and never felt any physical discomfort with the whole thing.
Yes, but did you train like a professional athlete and play intense games of football during it?

What do you think all the nutritionist's and sport scientists are there for. It will be managed, just like it always has been since the beginning of Muslims doing sport.

The nutritionists are there to manage as best they can.

I mean, you're not suggesting that a month long fast with half of each day not taking on fluids is something that can be controlled without a loss of function are you? That's not what the orthodox scientific thinking is on this.

The nutritionists are there to manage as best they can.

I mean, you're not suggesting that a month long fast with half of each day not taking on fluids is something that can be controlled without a loss of fucntion are you? That's not what the orthodox scientific thinking is on this.
Yes Dave I am saying that, I think it has been proven over and over again, season after season with every Muslim athlete who is devout on the planet.

Yes Dave I am saying that, I think it has been proven over and over again, season after season with every Muslim athlete who is devout on the planet.
Science says it has its effect. Doesn't really matter what the anecdotal evidence says...which is laced through with subjectivity.

neither of us are qualified enough to make this call but I have season upon season of evidence that Muslim players play fine through Ramadan.
I think there's a lot of cultural claptrap involved in such pronouncements from players. They're hardly likely to say their performances have suffered from it, and others aren't likely to question that for fear of being seen to pass judgement on a religious issue.

All that said, from what I've read on the subject Ramadan includes the option for those doing the fast to hydrate if need be, so it's down to the individual players. I'm just saying that given we know Doucoure didn't take up that option last year, and that Gueye sounds like he's of a similar mindset, we could have a problem with energy levels in midfield - and Onana is fasting also. There's nothing controversial in that - and the science tends to reinforce that position.

Garner will definitely see game time over the next month and probably Davies too. That would be my guess.

I think there's a lot of cultural claptrap involved in such pronouncements from players. They're hardly likely to say their performances have suffered from it, and others aren't likely to question that for fear of being seen to pass judgement on a religious issue.

All that said, from what I've read on the subject Ramadan includes the option for those doing the fast to hydrate if need be, so it's down to the individual players. I'm just saying that given we know Doucoure didn't take up that option last year, and that Gueye sounds like he's of a similar mindset, we could have a problem with energy levels in midfield - and Onana is fasting also. There's nothing controversial in that - and the science tends to reinforce that position.

Garner will definitely see game time over the next month and probably Davies too. That would be my guess.
But this is not a new thing, it's been going on for years and years and years. If a manager thought a players energy levels aren't what th3ey should be, they wouldn't play them. As it is there are probably thousands of Muslim athletes who carry on during Ramadan.

I just find it really weird why it's being highlighted as something new which we've never experienced before. The players themselves aren't kids, I'm sure they know their bodies.

Anyway no point carrying on, we've stated our views and we disagree.

But this is not a new thing, it's been going on for years and years and years. If a manager thought a players energy levels aren't what th3ey should be, they wouldn't play them. As it is there are probably thousands of Muslim athletes who carry on during Ramadan.

I just find it really weird why it's being highlighted as something new which we've never experienced before. The players themselves aren't kids, I'm sure they know their bodies.

Anyway no point carrying on, we've stated our views and we disagree.
The novelty is that it's our ENTIRE starting centre midfield that's impacted.

If this was just Doucoure again there'd be no kerfuffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.