January Transfer Window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not across all our FFP numbers but I think the intention was always to sell an asset this window, maximising their use between summer and now, in this case AG and with FFP accounts running to June 1st and the transfer window opening June 10th, there was never any intention to buy anyone unless it was on an obligation / option to buy. With a threat of relegation, that is a tricky agreement to strike regardless.

I’m going to say this. Considering who we could afford and who we can currently attract, any addition would have cost over the odds and likely made little difference to the rest of our season. IF we find a way to stay up, we may look back at this window as a very good one where we saved money, improved our FFP standing and didn’t agree to ridiculous option to buy agreements that would’ve simply delayed our issues.

Very few players we’ve been linked with and very few of those who have been signed by the ‘bottom half of the table teams’, will have any impact whatsoever in my opinion - because that’s the way the numbers work. Most have never played premier league football and most we have never even heard of. The percentage of first year successes from outside the prem is really low.

Yes one or two might have a few good games but we’ve played this lottery before and more often than not we lose. I understand survival is so important and now might be the time to gamble but I’m convinced that we would just be delaying the inevitable and ending up with more panic buys, average players moving for the money, on long contracts.

We need the current squad to keep us up and that wouldn’t have changed with a couple of average / untested signings. The first 11 on paper isn’t great but it isn’t the worst either but we do need some good fortune for sure. Let’s hope the boys get on a run soon and deliver the wins we need.
You an employee?

The question should be why we didnt have money avilable after a 40m+ sale. We haven't been extravagant in the last couple of years, not even close to the level of spending of perceived rivals like W Ham and Villa

Also a clear example of why late business is bad business and that criticism for failing to ever act early is fair.
We messed up so much by over spending, 40 million in the bank will massively help ease ffp issues and probably meaning that we can spend a few bob in summer, now it’s Dyche job to to keep us up.

The question should be why we didnt have money avilable after a 40m+ sale. We haven't been extravagant in the last couple of years, not even close to the level of spending of perceived rivals like W Ham and Villa

Also a clear example of why late business is bad business and that criticism for failing to ever act early is fair.
If we put 2+2 together it's one of two things (or maybe a bit of both)

1 - the stadium is absolutely rinsing us and we need funds to ensure that there's money in the bank for that. To fulfill our agreement with Lang O'Rourke there'll have to be a certain amount available at any one time.

2- Usmanov's assets being froze really damaged Moshiri's investment in the club. He is going to sell up sooner rather than later and why throw good money after bad?

For me this is now simple
  • If Thelwell was given funds to sign players, as per Moshiri's interview and he hasn't, then he should be sacked, as it would be utter negligence
  • If he isn't sacked, then he was never given any funds and he should resign as this will make him look so so bad, so I hope he get's some pride and tells them to stick the job

We've been throwing bids in all over the shop apparently.

If you can bid that, you should be able to bring some in who make a difference in a club destined for relegation.

Years gone by when we didn't have a pot to piss in we'd be pragmatic an make some signings. Even as recently as Gray and Townsend...

I do feel sorry for you guys, the Board is making a complete mess of things. But I don't think it is incompetence, yes they are not the best strategic thinkers on the planet but they are not stupid people and they can see that relegation is a serious concern now, particularly with Saints, Leeds and Bournemouth pushing the boat out in this window. The issue must be money, or lack of money and it appears much more serious than I had thought. Moshiri appears desperate to complete the stadium at all costs as he sees that is his best chance of getting some cash back. It is grim but on a positive, it does look like his ownership of EFC will be coming to an end

From being respected many but hated by others, to being gently mocked, to being mercilessly ridiculed, to having a new manager unanimously pitied by the media after he is shafted within 3 days. All in the space of about 2 years.

Longer term decline obviously, but the slide in competence and reputation even since Carlo is unforgivable, and irrecoverable.

Status
Not open for further replies.