Naismith's Barkley Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do your footballing achievements stack up compared to Steven Naismiths, mate?

Dont know how that's relevant. But even if I was a more talented team mate of Barkley's than Naismith with more honours I think I'd do well to not pass comment on what he has to do and not do to get better.

Dont know how that's relevant. But even if I was a more talented team mate of Barkley's than Naismith with more honours I think I'd do well to not pass comment on what he has to do and not do to get better.
You said Naismith 'has no right assessing Barkley' because he's less talented.
You seem to do a lot of assessing of things Naismith needs to do to get better...

I read it differently from you @davek.

I read it as telling the fans not to heap too much pressure on the lad when he has a poor game. Or are you saying Naismith cannot acknowledge that young players sometimes have poor games and that fans expect too much from young players?

I didn't read it as criticism of Ross, just that fans get a little excitable and we should temper our expectations while he's so young for the good of everyone.

Seemed sensible to me.

It was patronising nonsense from a player with a thimbleful of talent about what he sees as the wrong decision making of a lad he has no right assessing.

To pull that 'he'll learn' stuff off you have to have a) a colossal talent yourself, or b ) have a cv as long as your arm. He's got neither.

He was way out of order.

You're turning this into something that it isn't! I can't see the problem with an experienced player passing on knowledge to a youngster! I bet Cristiano Ronaldo used to get pointers from less talented players when he was a youngster at Man Utd! It's absolute nonsense to say that you must have an awesome CV to give advice to a promising youngster at your club lol

I read it as Nais saying that if Barkley has an off game that doesn't mean he's the Emperor's New Clothes.

You see it here when Lukaku doesn't play well with the Altidore/Heskey comparisons.

As to his pass completion he comes alive around the penalty area so aren't you going to get a worse completion rate

Saying that Barkley needs to pick and choose better the times he gets on the ball and tries something is being critical. How can it not be? Why else would advice be given if not to correct something?
I said "as critical as you are taking them" - you are right it is a critique but a very mild one and just feel you are making a relatively trivial comment into a big deal. There were plently of times in that interview that Naismith gives fulsome praise about Barkley, personally don't have a issue with him also stating he still has things to learn. Especially as that message is designed to take pressure off Barkley rather than pile it on.

I read it differently from you @davek.

I read it as telling the fans not to heap too much pressure on the lad when he has a poor game. Or are you saying Naismith cannot acknowledge that young players sometimes have poor games and that fans expect too much from young players?

I didn't read it as criticism of Ross, just that fans get a little excitable and we should temper our expectations while he's so young for the good of everyone.

Seemed sensible to me.

It was advice. I accept that and stated I recognised it as such earlier. My point is it was way out of order, in a patronising tone that he hasn't earned the right to speak in, AND it was well wide of the mark and would be counterproductive to Barkley's game if he was to take notice of Naismith.

That's all I've said. That's legitimate isn't it...to offer a criticism of the critique itself?

You're turning this into something that it isn't! I can't see the problem with an experienced player passing on knowledge to a youngster! I bet Cristiano Ronaldo used to get pointers from less talented players when he was a youngster at Man Utd! It's absolute nonsense to say that you must have an awesome CV to give advice to a promising youngster at your club lol

Yes, players who'd won everything in the game. That's not Naismith is it?

As parents we give advice to our children based on our own experience, Not because we won best parent in the world for the last three years.

I said "as critical as you are taking them" - you are right it is a critique but a very mild one and just feel you are making a relatively trivial comment into a big deal. There were plently of times in that interview that Naismith gives fulsome praise about Barkley, personally don't have a issue with him also stating he still has things to learn. Especially as that message is designed to take pressure off Barkley rather than pile it on.
My issue is this: I'd be embarrassed to be offering advice on stopping a neighbour's windows getting smashed if I had a greenhouse in my own back garden that's smashed to bits.

Hold on, Naismith cautioning anyone about losing the ball, let alone Barkley.

Last 5 games both Barkley and Naismith have been involved in:

Naismith 159 successful passes out of 215 made (74%)
Barkley 194 successful passes out of 224 made (86%)

Does Naismith really feel he's entitled to offer advice on retaining possession? The feller is the worst in possession in the whole team.

Laughable.

Really, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more wasteful player than Mcgeady.

Status
Not open for further replies.