Naismith's Barkley Warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even on that narrower issue of taking other opposition players on and losing it, it's wrong to try and censure Barkley. Just looking through the stats for the same period and it shows that he carries the ball forward about 30 times in 5 games and is successful in roughly just over half. That type of play is not a feature of Naismith's game (he barely goes on a run with the ball once in games on average). He's basically asking Barkley to limit his own game in that respect, and it makes no sense. That's the nature of this talent, and you'll never get 100% success doing it - not even Messi will nail the majority of his own forward forays.

I'm not ignoring Naismith's own attributes here. I'm merely underlining the point that limited players have no business using some BS conceit around their own 'experience' to offer a gifted player advice. I'm sure Barkley will cast those words aside. He needs to too. What we dont want is the tethering of his ability to suit some ridiculous critique from a man who should try and put his own house in order.
Agree that ability is one of Barkley's major strengths and you'll never get it perfect, but there is a time and a place to do it which is I think what Naismith is getting at. Iirc other players have said similar things including Jags and Distin.

Imo his words weren't intended to be as critical you are taking them and don't see a problem with any of our players pointing out he isn't the fully developed player yet but each to his own.

Hold on, Naismith cautioning anyone about losing the ball, let alone Barkley.

Last 5 games both Barkley and Naismith have been involved in:

Naismith 159 successful passes out of 215 made (74%)
Barkley 194 successful passes out of 224 made (86%)

Does Naismith really feel he's entitled to offer advice on retaining possession? The feller is the worst in possession in the whole team.

Laughable.

Naismith attempts forward passes and link up passes in and around the box though, Dave. So he's always going to have less pass completion.

Even on that narrower issue of taking other opposition players on and losing it, it's wrong to try and censure Barkley. Just looking through the stats for the same period and it shows that he carries the ball forward about 30 times in 5 games and is successful in roughly just over half. That type of play is not a feature of Naismith's game (he barely goes on a run with the ball once in games on average). He's basically asking Barkley to limit his own game in that respect, and it makes no sense. That's the nature of this talent, and you'll never get 100% success doing it - not even Messi will nail the majority of his own forward forays.

I'm not ignoring Naismith's own attributes here. I'm merely underlining the point that limited players have no business using some BS conceit around their own 'experience' to offer a gifted player advice. I'm sure Barkley will cast those words aside. He needs to too. What we dont want is the tethering of his ability to suit some ridiculous critique from a man who should try and put his own house in order.

It's not like he's having a go at Barkley though, he's trying to protect him by saying that people shouldn't be expecting too much of him at a young age! So you are kinda missing the point here!

No one is doubting the fact that Barkley is a massive talent, and much more talented than Naismith, doesn't mean to say that a young player can't take advice from an experienced one though!

Guys guys I'm surprise to say this but i agree with davek despite his rage he has point but I think there is too much hype and expectations of barkley these days and that I am more annoyed with Martinez telling the world he is gonna be the world class than Naismith telling everton fans to take it easy and chill!

Davek chill!

It's not like he's having a go at Barkley though, he's trying to protect him by saying that people shouldn't be expecting too much of him at a young age! So you are kinda missing the point here!

No one is doubting the fact that Barkley is a massive talent, and much more talented than Naismith, doesn't mean to say that a young player can't take advice from an experienced one though!

He isn't missing the point mate, he is trying to twist a run of the mill interview into a stick to beat naismith with. Yes it's pathetic but he knows exactly what he is doing.

@davek how do you measure success though? You obviously don't value naisys medal haul, what about the likes of Coleman who has failed to win any major honour in the game? I would say the likes of these guys are well placed to offer advice based on playing the game consistently against the best players in the world.

He isn't missing the point mate, he is trying to twist a run of the mill interview into a stick to beat naismith with. Yes it's pathetic but he knows exactly what he is doing.

@davek how do you measure success though? You obviously don't value naisys medal haul, what about the likes of Coleman who has failed to win any major honour in the game? I would say the likes of these guys are well placed to offer advice based on playing the game consistently against the best players in the world.

The toys in kinder eggs are more valuable than a medal from the joker league of Scotland.

Coleman isn't trying to tell anyone how to play their game as far as I'm aware.

Agree that ability is one of Barkley's major strengths and you'll never get it perfect, but there is a time and a place to do it which is I think what Naismith is getting at. Iirc other players have said similar things including Jags and Distin.

Imo his words weren't intended to be as critical you are taking them and don't see a problem with any of our players pointing out he isn't the fully developed player yet but each to his own.
Saying that Barkley needs to pick and choose better the times he gets on the ball and tries something is being critical. How can it not be? Why else would advice be given if not to correct something?

I think this situation probably came about by a journalist asking naisy about ross and asking him to comment, I don't see naisy as the type of lad to critique other players, that's our job :)

It was patronising nonsense from a player with a thimbleful of talent about what he sees as the wrong decision making of a lad he has no right assessing.

To pull that 'he'll learn' stuff off you have to have a) a colossal talent yourself, or b ) have a cv as long as your arm. He's got neither.

He was way out of order.

It was patronising nonsense from a player with a thimbleful of talent about what he sees as the wrong decision making of a lad he has no right assessing.

To pull that 'he'll learn' stuff off you have to have a) a colossal talent yourself, or b ) have a cv as long as your arm. He's got neither.

He was way out of order.
How do your footballing achievements stack up compared to Steven Naismiths, mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.