Z-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z-Cars was a BBC drama series centred on the mobile uniformed police in the fictional town of Newtown, based on Kirkby. It began in January 1962 and ran until September 1978.

The Z-Cars theme tune is based on the traditional folk song 'Johnny Todd' - 'a child's rhyme and game, heard and seen played by Liverpool children'.

Johnny Todd he took a notion
For to sail the ocean wide,
And he left his true love behind him,
Weeping by the Liverpool tide.

The original television theme was arranged and conducted by Norrie Paramor with his orchestra. The Z-Cars theme tune was arranged for commercial release by Liverpool musician Fritz Spiegl and Bridget Fry, and performed by John Keating and his Orchestra. A later, much more syncopated arrangement of the theme replaced the original on a later television series which was also written and conducted by Norrie Paramor.

it's been my ringtone for a while now and still smile when I hear it he he!!

I went to see Everton in Sydney a few years back and was running late cos of car parking issues. I was walking towards the stadium with my wife when we heard Z-cars start and even she said said [Poor language removed], come on we're late as we started running towards the gates! It brought a tear to my eye and always reminds me of being home and lucky enough to get to Goodison Park

by the way, I don't mind Bob Dylan's version of Johnny Todd too (the clip has been removed from youtube tho sorry!)

oh and I managed to find the original 7" single on ebay a while back too and got it for a few dollars from a man in the UK delivered to Australia he he he

Reactions: obc

For some strange reason Watford started running out to Z Cars for a while in the 80s or 90s.

I wonder what that was all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.