Youth - When are we going to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see more of them get a chance as well

But to be honest, I've got to the point now where I get genuinely worried when a young lad gets a chance, because he'll always be held to ludicrous standards and will be quickly deemed as "not good enough" after a couple of kicks of the ball from the usual gallery of geniuses in the worst element of our support

We're the worst supporters in the League when it comes to young players. We don't back them and don't support them when they need it most

Just look at the threads for all the young lads who get chances in the first team

Page after page after page after pager after PAGE of people knocking them. How is anyone supposed to succeed in that sort of environment?

At the end of the day, we get the club we deserve

This is what Brands promised to do at the start but rarely does, I firmly believe we should introduce some young players even if its only from the bench to give them experience, after all how are we ever to know how good they really are. I have seen a few u18 and u23 this season and although I don't think any of them are yet ready to claim a full debut I think a couple of them should be introduced slowly.

Yes definitely mate. It's an enormous jump. I'd like to see more lads given the chance but I don't think any of the under 23's are banging the door down. It's been a fantastic team effort to win the league, which is a great fillip for Unsworth, but what you really want is the team to be carried by 1 or 2 players who you can identify as potential first team stars.

I actually think our under 18's-16's have better potential players. I like Kyle John, Anthony Gordon, Bobby Carroll and the lad Hunt a lot (though he's not as highly thought of). It will be interesting to see how Simms does when he steps up.

Ultimately most of the young lads will have an opportunity next pre-season. If they look strong they will get a chance in and around the first team set up to train and it's up to them to take it.

This was my thinking, I am not aware of any truly standout players though, a few well regarded but no more. I am sure you have far better knowledge than I do.

This is what Brands promised to do at the start but rarely does, I firmly believe we should introduce some young players even if its only from the bench to give them experience, after all how are we ever to know how good they really are. I have seen a few u18 and u23 this season and although I don't think any of them are yet ready to claim a full debut I think a couple of them should be introduced slowly.

Yeh, last 10 - 15 mins just for them to get up to speed with it all. Arsenal have done it so well.

Tom Davies was the stand-out star in the U23's and did really well when he came into the team. Then the club changed managers several times, he was played in several different positions and was constantly in and out of the team.

Now you all give him a dog's life and think he's plop.

This current U23 team doesn't have that stand-out player to promote. Lucky for them.

Tom Davies was the stand-out star in the U23's and did really well when he came into the team. Then the club changed managers several times, he was played in several different positions and was constantly in and out of the team.

This current U23 team doesn't have that stand-out player to promote. Lucky for them.

its up to davies to stand up and be counted, esp if hes so talented.

im sure his, like most others pro careers , will have managers coming and going every 12 months or so, so he better get used to that

its up to davies to stand up and be counted, esp if hes so talented.

im sure his, like most others pro careers , will have managers coming and going every 12 months or so, so he better get used to that

Can't really stand up and be counted when he gets a few games (often out of of position) before being put on the bench for another six weeks.

In the last few seasons we have really let down a lot of our young players as a club. If Davies, Lookman or Calvert-Lewin were at Bournemouth say, they'd all be much, much further on in their development.

They're all still kids really, except a few who are on the verge, and some who won't make it. I remember watching the team that first came over to play in the Dallas Cup in 2015 (?) (not the team that won in the next year). They were loaded with kids, many of whom still have a future in the club:

Everton squad to travel to the Dallas Cup: Bainbridge, Birch, Brewster, Donohue, Dowell, Dyson, Graham, Green, Henen, Hewelt, Langton, O’Loughlin, Robinson, Walsh, Connolly, Davies, Holland, Kenny, Ledson, Yates.

Six of the group – Connolly, Davies, Holland, Kenny, Ledson and Yates – will fly out to join the squad before the opening game after completing international duty with England.

That was 4 years ago, and who still has a chance to enter the first team long with Davies and Kenny? Jedi and Connolly? The 2016 team had Beni, but probably nobody else close to the first team.

They're all still kids really, except a few who are on the verge, and some who won't make it. I remember watching the team that first came over to play in the Dallas Cup in 2015 (?) (not the team that won in the next year). They were loaded with kids, many of whom still have a future in the club:

That was 4 years ago, and who still has a chance to enter the first team long with Davies and Kenny? Jedi and Connolly? The 2016 team had Beni, but probably nobody else close to the first team.

Not every player in the academy will make it at Everton but you have to field 11 of them on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.