Young Player of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could pick any of McCarthy, Lukaku & Barkley imo.

McCarthy has been the most consistent, but DM is also one of the easier roles in the modern PL team, and I feel that he still needs to add some goals and assists to his game.

Lukaku has been exceptional for us, really. Couldn't have asked for from a loan player. His physique gives us so much up front, but his work rate is oustanding good, too.

Barkley has made a great impact and he's dazzled us numerous times with his precocious talent. Of course he's also had his share of difficult matches, but tell me what rookie hasn't. He's scored goals and made assists, and has orchestrated so much of our attacking threat this season.

Other young players like Deleufeo, Stones & Oviedo have been exceptional too, but won't have played enough games to be considered above the those 3, imo.

You could pick any of McCarthy, Lukaku & Barkley imo.

McCarthy has been the most consistent, but DM is also one of the easier roles in the modern PL team, and I feel that he still needs to add some goals and assists to his game.

Lukaku has been exceptional for us, really. Couldn't have asked for from a loan player. His physique gives us so much up front, but his work rate is oustanding good, too.

Barkley has made a great impact and he's dazzled us numerous times with his precocious talent. Of course he's also had his share of difficult matches, but tell me what rookie hasn't. He's scored goals and made assists, and has orchestrated so much of our attacking threat this season.

Other young players like Deleufeo, Stones & Oviedo have been exceptional too, but won't have played enough games to be considered above the those 3, imo.
I think you are making light of McCarthys contribution here by saying its easy to be a DM. There is less of technical demand, but being exceptional in that position is incredibly difficult I reckon. You have to be very good to stand out. And he has.

but DM is also one of the easier roles in the modern PL team

I'd like to see this discussed more. Seems like it may be relatively easy to be DM on a sitting team, but DM role in an attacking team has got to be much harder, right? Even then, you can class Barry's role and McCarthy's role as completely different, with Barry performing more like a Sweeper/CB* than LDM through large portions of the Fulham game.

*Granted, this was largely ineffective early because the FBs were so high up the pitch, but still a large difference even between the two "DM" roles.

McCarthy.

Difficult to pick a top 3 though. Barkley and Lukaku are the obvious choices, but it seems criminal to leave off John Stones. I guess he gets left out by time though.

Oviedo would have been in with a shout if he hadn't gotten injured I think. It's nice that Deulofeu isn't even in my top 4 and he's as good as he is. Bright future if we can keep a hold of Romelu, but I suppose it's pretty nice either way.

McCarthy for me no contest, he'd be my player as well, although if Coleman won it I'd be made up, he's been amazing!

Barkley and Stones both standouts too and Rom but McCarthy's consistency this season has been incredible..

I'd like to see this discussed more. Seems like it may be relatively easy to be DM on a sitting team, but DM role in an attacking team has got to be much harder, right? Even then, you can class Barry's role and McCarthy's role as completely different, with Barry performing more like a Sweeper/CB* than LDM through large portions of the Fulham game.

*Granted, this was largely ineffective early because the FBs were so high up the pitch, but still a large difference even between the two "DM" roles.

I may be being a bit unfair to McCarthy, but it seems to me that DM is a position that we've made good on from players who aren't that actually that talented - eg, Lee Carsley is far from the most gifted player we've ever seen, but he was one of our most effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.