Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
League One
Lincoln City - Callum Connolly played full match and was booked in 1-3 away defeat to Wycombe Wanderers

OS Match Report
"A move through midfield featuring Callum Connolly, Michael O’Connor, Walker, Grant and Harry Toffolo was close to fashioning the first chance of note for City but the home side cleared."

Fan comments
"Connolly 3 - a poor replacement on the day for Morrell"
"Connolly 4 - Played like a fifth defender, reluctant to take players on, needs far more fight."
"Connolly 6 Game largely passed him by but I like the look of how he makes himself available for a pass"
"Connolly - 5.5. Hardly in the game first half."
"Connolly - 5 - very disappointing. Didn’t need 2 CM’s today and he didn’t really add anything to our performance."

Championship
Derby County - Kieran Dowell started and was substituted in the 52nd minute of a 3-0 away defeat to Brentford

OS Match Report

Fan comments
"Dowell isn’t what we need and isn’t playing in his correct position"
"Dowell has been disappointing"
"Dowell is spit. seriously awful, no way near good enough and thats that."
"Dowell isn’t doing it right now"

Pre-match Cocu comments re Dowell

Hull City - Matthew Pennington started and went off injured (calf) in the 17th minute of a 1-1 away draw at Millwall

League One
Lincoln City - Callum Connolly started and was substituted in the 75th minute of a 2-0 home win over Fleetwood Town

OS Match Report
"the striker was back at it again within 60 seconds, Callum Connolly playing the ball beyond the Fleetwood defence, WALKER raced away to slip the ball home between the legs of Gilks and into the net."
"Grant whipped in a wonderful inswinging ball but Connolly was inches away from connecting with."
"Fleetwood were growing in confidence and it took a well-positioned Connolly to get in the way of a right-wing cross from the men in yellow."
"Grant took over and he slipped the ball along the edge of the box to Connolly who shot over the top."

Twitter stuff
Tyler Walker scores two in less than two minutes!!! The first was a superb diving header from Harry Toffolo's cross, and doubled City's lead shortly after following Callum Connolly's through ball allowed Walker to slot underneath Gilks with his left.
45' Grant's inswinging free-kick is inches off the diving head of Connolly and it's out for a goal kick.
69' So close! City counter, as Walker sets Anderson, who squares back, but Walker can't get a clean enough connection on the strike, with the touch taking it away from Connolly who joined Walker in the area.
74' OVER! Vickers sprays 70-yard ball to Akinde who brings it down expertly, and the ball eventually reaches Connolly who drives over from 20 yards.

Fan comments
"Connelly did very well, made the second goal, looked a very good signing."
"I thought Connelly slotted in like he had been here for ages. Very assured. He’s going to make it hard for O’Connor to get back in."
"Didn't even notice Connolly, which is a good thing in his position IMO. Kept things ticking over, nice and simple."

German Bundesliga
Schalke 04 - Jonjoe Kenny played full match and was the first Schalke player to score this season in a 3-0 home win over Hertha Berlin

OS Match Report
"Schalke looked to play down the right-hand side with Jonjoe Kenny particularly prevalent in attacks, although the hosts couldn’t force out any clear-cut chances in the first half an hour."
"Amine Harit played a lovely ball to Jonjoe Kenny, who then gave it to Daniel Caligiuri. The 31-year-old’s cross was then turned home by Hertha defender Niklas Stark (38’)."
"The closing stages of the game were dominated by a wonder goal in the 85th minute by Jonjoe Kenny. Schalke’s players combined with a beautiful passage of play ending in the penalty box, as Bastion Oczipka’s low cross found Jonjoe Kenny who fired across the goalkeeper with a sensational effort that left goalkeeper Rune Jarstein with no chance."

Twitter stuff
Jonjoe Kenny! What a hit! The Everton loanee scored a belter as Schalke beat Hertha Berlin 3-0... Young English players doing damage in the Bundesliga!
#Wagner on Kenny's goal: "The lads said in the changing rooms that only an Englishman can score a goal like that!"

Fan comments
(Pretty unanimous MOTM for most fans.)
"I'd say the lad is a pretty complete package. Technically good, good skills, tactically good, good fitness. Unbelievable."
"I didn't think Kenny would perform so well. Had a few problems in the U21, but he somehow got rid of them here. Of course, this has its downside as well, because we won't be able to keep him if he plays consistently like that."
"Good lad. I'm impressed. Shows that sometimes football can be simple. Always available for a return pass."
"Everton loaned Sidibe with an option to buy. Hopefully he'll make it and Coleman will get better again. Then we could have a realistic chance of getting Kenny to make a firm commitment. Never mind. First of all enjoy this season with such a strong right-sided defender."
"Just fits in. A fighter, running and competing. BUT also very calm on the ball, good passes, very composed at the back. You have to hope that Sidibe improves with Everton so that Kenny can stay here."
...and much much more in that vein.

Josh Bowler and Joao Virginia were unused subs.
Nathan Broadhead, Korede Adedoyin and Fraser Hornby were not in matchday squads.

I live in Derby. Went to Derby v Forrest womens yesterday at Pride Park and got chatting to the stewards. General consensus is that he's a good player, just getting played out of position and having to cover ground playing as a DM, next to an ageing Tom Huddleston.

....we know a players performance can differ over a long season, let’s hope he stays consistent and is able to secure a permanent move.
Do you not see him as a potential Coleman replacement?

Ofcourse he has to prove he is good enough, and I dont want to get carried away thinking a player is better than they are because they are from our parts. But I'd love to see him succeed at Everton.

Do you not see him as a potential Coleman replacement?

Ofcourse he has to prove he is good enough, and I dont want to get carried away thinking a player is better than they are because they are from our parts. But I'd love to see him succeed at Everton.
The more you look at it, the more it makes sense that this is a loan move designed to do exactly that - get him ready to fill that spot next year.

This is what we want to see, but rarely do even from our most highly regarded.. a young player on loan absolutely smashing it. Funny it only seems to happen in Germany so far..
And ironically a couple of seasons ago we took on loan a then highly rated German youngster. , Donkor, who did nothing and was sent back. Maybe it’s a combination of them picking the right players, giving them a chance and both management and fans being patient with the youngsters.

Dowell on the bench for derby. Not going to come on aswell. Few derby lads in work who are season tickets say he’s crap. Think they are comparing him to mount. Think it’s safe to say we should let the Ormskirk Ozil flower in league one next season.

...i’d be chuffed if Kenny or Dowell ended up being successful players at Everton, I truly would. You know I’ve followed these youngsters for many years and read your updates as a matter of required reference.

The bottom line, though, is the Manager wants the players he feels he needs. He wants the players he needs to use. The very best Everton youngsters don’t go on loan, they come straight into the fold. Kenny did that, he came straight in. He’s a first team squad player who was sent on loan.

He was sent on loan because the Manager wasn’t going to use him. He was sent on loan because the Manager wanted better. That’s the reality. Kenny has already made it in the game. I like the fella, but looking at the evidence, it’s hard to see him playing here in the future.

I’m being logical, but i might be wrong.
I very rarely disagree with you Eggs, but, Jonjoe has played under three different managers,came into a struggling team, wasleft to fend for himself instead of being guided by senior players, they were struggling themselves, Jonjoe had more good games than bad ones but never had a consistent run of games, in fact after a poor game versus Newcastle, when he was picked about ten minutes before the game started after Colman took ill when due to play, Jonjoe never got many minutes in the team, if any.

Jonjoe has had the bottle to go to Germany and pick up on his career, I’ve watched him since he was sixteen and he has improved every year, IMO, there is little difference now between him and Seamus, who I like, don’t know about the new full back, who is a French international but is coming back after a bad injury, but I’m backing Jonjoe to come back and become a permanent member of the Everton squad. It remains to be seen if young players are going to get a real chance at Everton which seemed to be the future way of working under Brands, but looks like it has stalled a bit with the way Silva operates. I hope I am wrong about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.