2018/19 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange reasoning, how do you figure his value rises?

I think he meant his value to us, is rising. Not his actual market value.

The reason is because we are essentially pinning our entire hopes of fixing a leaky defence on a kid from the Colombian and Brazilian leagues, who had 4 decent games at the World Cup (against Japan, Poland, Senegal and England, no less) and once or twice kicked a ball in a Barcelona shirt.

The lad will need time. Not expectations of Van Dijk after a long lay off and adjustment to new team mates, manager, style of play, not to mention country, culture, language and home.

Can he organise a defence? Is he a leader? For me these questions are just as important as his ability. If the answer is 'no' then we'll continue to have issues.

He's certainly a character though and seems popular with the other players already, so who knows.

This feller and Gomes need to show themselves.

You mean, this fella and Gomes need to be passed fit by our medical staff?

Mina's training. Silva said in his presser that he was being considered for Arsenal. Obviously they didn't think it was worth the risk.

Silva also said Gomes will be due to be back in training after the Fulham game.

You mean, this fella and Gomes need to be passed fit by our medical staff?

Mina's training. Silva said in his presser that he was being considered for Arsenal. Obviously they didn't think it was worth the risk.

Silva also said Gomes will be due to be back in training after the Fulham game.

Nearly October.

Mad thing is, I've got no doubt you're right. Football is mental.
Alexis Sanchez being on £400k a week and not being arsed in the slightest is mental..
I just assumed Mina must have been with us about 10 weeks and must be on about £100k a week..

Logged on to see if any news of Mina's fitness but got quite interested in reading everyone's comments.

As a Colombian who has followed his career, I think he will be fantastic and possibly exactly what you need. I value his leadership so much that it is perhaps an even greater attribute than his skill – which is not to say he is a slouch. If he has a weakness it is pace, but I wouldn't call him slow (just not as fast as Davinson). He is incredible in the air, on both attacking and defensive set pieces. Can pass the ball and bring it out of defense in a cultured way, won't waste it. Huge presence. Confident. Scores goals. Lots of them for a defender!

Anyone who says his 3 World Cup goals were out of character hasn't followed his career. Yes 3 in 3 is absolutely incredible for any player, nevermind a defender. But his record for country is 6 in 15 (better than most strikers), and 6 in 28 for Palmeiras isn't bad. Colombia resorted to set pieces after James got injured, knowing his prowess; and it worked.

What hasn't been mentioned as much is that Colombia only conceded 1 goal in the those three matches he played in – the penalty against England which had nothing to do with his defending. He and Davinson Sanchez are excellent.

As far as the Davinson comparisons – Mina is not as fast, but he has greater presence, confidence, is more vocal. Together they will be one of the best pairings in World Football by the next World Cup barring injury.

The only blip on Mina's career was his introduction at Barca. He didn't adapt. Arrived in January after about a year of negotiations. The manager had requested someone with European experience to come in and challenge for a starting spot immediately and instead got Mina from Brazil, which did not please him. Mina didn't get a chance for a few month, becoming demoralized... and then played poorly when finally called upon. You can argue the pressure got to him; but he has approached every other challenge (scored on his debut for Colombia; took like fish to water at Palmeiras one of Brazil's biggest clubs; 3 goals in 3 World Cup games) with confidence and the environment at Everton should be just right for his first real run in European football.

I think he is a top, top signing, will improve those around him, and you will get a lot of money for him when he leaves. Man United could have used him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.