Yak and Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope we go out and take the game to them from the kick off,as we are due a decent result away to city;)

Dilema. City are far more comfortable counter-attacking. That fact would normally point to a 4-5-1 (4-1-4-1 if you like). that would mean dropping Johnson. Now the consensus seems to be that AJ is a confidence player. Given that it's bound to be sky-high at the moment, dropping him could have a more long term detrimental effect on our season than even losing to Citeh.
The other alternative is dropping 'teenage' sensation Yakubu. Don't think so.:)

Dilema. City are far more comfortable counter-attacking. That fact would normally point to a 4-5-1 (4-1-4-1 if you like). that would mean dropping Johnson. Now the consensus seems to be that AJ is a confidence player. Given that it's bound to be sky-high at the moment, dropping him could have a more long term detrimental effect on our season than even losing to Citeh.
The other alternative is dropping 'teenage' sensation Yakubu. Don't think so.:)

call me out of my mind... but why not try johnson on the wing? pienaar left, AJ right, cahill arteta and carsley sort it out central. lord knows johnson's got the speed for it, i think it'd be worth a shot.

we should all remember our amazing play was against SK Brann, norwegian champs sure but essentially a smaller team nonetheless, i'm a bit worried about our boys getting overconfident, spaces won't open up like that against city.

if someone had told me Andy Johnson would score 2 goals from outside the box in a season, let alone in one game, i'd have called them insane.

Would stick with the 4-4-2, but i wouldn't play cahill in the midfield. Don't think he's got the passing ability to be able to do it in the Prem in a four man midfield....... but give him his due he played well the other night, all be it against poor opposition.

..............howard............
neville..jags..yobo..lescott
pienaar.manny.cars.arteta
.......yakubu.....aj...........

would pick fernandes purely because of his ability to pick a pass over cahill. I get the impression manny is trying too hard to prove himself this time round..... to many fancy flicks going wrong and trying the killer passes when he's in his own half. Moyes needs to have a word ...... keep it simple till hes in a position to hurt the opposition with his creativity ;)

Thursday night was not the first time i've seen Andy Johnson shoot and score from distance, he scored a few like that for Palace, so he clearly has that ability in his locker.DM's team selection for Monday must be giving him a huge headache and tactical dilemas.He'll bring Yobo back and put Jo at left back, but i'd rather see us start with a 4-4-2 and revert to 4-5-1 to defend our lead in the game,we've got to keep Richards and the honey monster busy from the kick off, putting one man up against that pairing will be counter productive in my opinion, it's the time of the season when you make things happen as opposed to waiting and hoping they'll happen.

Come on Moysie, be brave.

Last edited:
Dejan. When Ivan De la Peña broke into Cruyff's Barcelona team, he was trying it on every pass. The lad had the ability to deliver that perfectly weighted defence splitting pass. However, trying it every time, in much the same way as Manny is obviously counter productive. firstly coz nobody can do it every time; and secondly coz the defences were on to him and closed down the gaps ( also preparing for a counter attack as it catches you on the back foot). Cruyff told him to hold it back. Play it simple, and use the killer pass one out of ten times. thus using the element of surprise.
I certainly think Manny's got the ability to be a world beater in that department but needs more discipline and patience in his desicion making. I love to see him stroking it around on the deck. Those through balls take out a whole opposition defence when well delivered. But they can do the same to your own defence if a fast team like City cuts it out and catches you on the break.

I think the lads look great together, Id like us to go into the game 4-4-2. But i doubt we will, moyes likes the 4-5-1 an we play our better football in that system.

I hope Manny has a better career than De la Pena. He looked like he could have been a world beater when he first birst onto the scene.
Couldn't agree more Bruce. I do think Manny is more disciplined in holding his position than De la Peña was at the same age. Just see a similarity in the desire to split the defence with every pass. To be fair, Manny doesn't overdo it as much as De la Peña did

Status
Not open for further replies.