• Naw

Votes: 483 66.6%
  • Cheese on wor toast

Votes: 39 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
every ounce of humble pie needs to be swallowed here and the club needs to try everything they can to get Benitez. He is the right man to build a sustainable success over 5 + years, challenging the board and still seems capable of spotting real talent
What a strange idea. If you look at his record he is not a long term manager. The closest to this is at Liverpool, and he was certainly a divisive figure there. He seems to get involved in power struggles wherever he goes:

1993–1995Real Madrid B
1995–1996Real Valladolid
1996Osasuna
1997–1999Extremadura
2000–2001Tenerife
2001–2004Valencia
2004–2010Liverpool
2010Internazionale
2012–2013Chelsea (interim)
2013–2015Napoli
2015–2016Real Madrid
2016–2019Newcastle United
2019–Dalian Yifang

You should tell that to the Inter Milan owner then:

Speaking about Hodgson's time at Inter, club president Massimo Moratti said: "Roy Hodgson was an important person in the development of Inter Milan to the point we have reached today.

“He saved us at the right time. When he came we were in trouble and things appeared dark. He didn't panic, he was calm and made us calm. Disaster was averted at the most important time. Everyone at Inter will remember him for that and his contribution.

“He is considered by us all as an important person in our history. He left an endowment to this club that's important in our history."

He was such a failure they made him manager twice!
Where was the success?

I rest my case.

Sunderland stayed up the season before so its not like they were nailed on to go down. Better teams than Sunderland have been relegated. He may have stood a chance if he didn't basically say they had no chance as soon as he got to the club. He knew what he was doing, downplay the club and then look like he was working miracles when he kept them up. Of course he failed to do so.
Let’s be serious here - that squad was gutted. In the summer they lost their best player MVila (a loan player) as they would not stump up the fee. They also stayed up because of Kone, Kirchhoff and Khazri. Kone almost came here (a bullet dodged) and then went on a season long strop as he never got his move. He also needed Kaboul to steer him through games, but he left for Watford.

Kirchhoff was a career permacrock who played once or twice the whole season and Khazri was just terrible and lazy. These were all Big Sam signings by the way.

Somehow they were still in touch in January, so the board sold their most valuable player in Van Aarnholt to Big Sam’s Palace and replaces him for half the price with Bryan Oviedo.

add in the various injury crises and I don’t know who could have kept them up. They were still good enough to beat Marco’s Hull, a result which ended their survival hopes though!

Let’s be serious here - that squad was gutted. In the summer they lost their best player MVila (a loan player) as they would not stump up the fee. They also stayed up because of Kone, Kirchhoff and Khazri. Kone almost came here (a bullet dodged) and then went on a season long strop as he never got his move. He also needed Kaboul to steer him through games, but he left for Watford.

Kirchhoff was a career permacrock who played once or twice the whole season and Khazri was just terrible and lazy. These were all Big Sam signings by the way.

Somehow they were still in touch in January, so the board sold their most valuable player in Van Aarnholt to Big Sam’s Palace and replaces him for half the price with Bryan Oviedo.

add in the various injury crises and I don’t know who could have kept them up. They were still good enough to beat Marco’s Hull, a result which ended their survival hopes though!

All I am hearing is excuses. He took a team in crisis down. That is in recent times, he struggled in Spain and did somewhat OK at West Ham.

It's been a long time since his glory years (if high-ish finishes are deemed as glory, I would take them now I suppose...)

Well he hauled them out of relegation places and got them to a European final. He was successful enough that Allegri trusted him enough to make him Director of Football.
Hodgson still won Zilch, keeping a club from relegation is his limit, not a big deal getting to a Europa final, Steve McLaren another Dinosaur failure did the same as did another football relic Martin O'Neill.

Where's all this pro-Benitez stuff coming from? He's a manager who can do well with very good players -- we are clearly not that. His football is way outdated. A slightly classier version of Allardyce. He's a tinkerer too. At the RS he was always making 2 or 3 changes every game. His claim to fame there was the CL in 2005 - the biggest ever, never to be repeated, fluke on a football pitch, and one in which his doomed team selection was saved when Kewell had to go off injured early on.

Golden generation? Our squad is inferior to that of 10 years ago.
2 world cup winning teams at under 17 and under 20, European under 18 champions.

England have the best crop of youngsters on the planet born from 2000-2004 according to the German FA, no wonder Bundesliga clubs are snapping up young English talent.

Moyes will never be a candidate for the job as long as Brands is there. Brands wants a coach who plays offensive and expansive football, while also focusing on younger players. If we want a coach who is able to organize a team and achieve a secure position in the middle of the table while the crowd falls asleep in the stands and repeat this every year, well, then Roy Hodgson is the man.

I don’t think it would be a positive move to appoint Moyes in 2019. But it is isn’t as simple as saying he used to be ok and now he’s rubbish. At times he was great for us and did a great job. At times he was also disappointing and the side lacked belief when it really mattered.

Who knows what those 04-05, 07-08 or 08-09 Everton teams could’ve done if he’d have had the money to spend that Koeman and Silva have had. We’ll never know.

This has just added "Has poor judgement" to the list.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, on the jobs he took since united.

But the players he signed on a budget would suggest he has good judgement to me.

Showing your true colours mate. You probably want moyes back, Arteta as number 2, Cahill carrying the kits. Bill cutting the oranges at half time. And Baines playing his guitar.

Eh?!, was I hiding my true colours?....
I don't want Moyes back, I don't know who I want as next manager at this point... Someone with more of a track record this time anyways, but don't see any standout (realistic) candidate...

Moyes will never be a candidate for the job as long as Brands is there. Brands wants a coach who plays offensive and expansive football, while also focusing on younger players. If we want a coach who is able to organize a team and achieve a secure position in the middle of the table while the crowd falls asleep in the stands and repeat this every year, well, then Roy Hodgson is the man.

Bloody hell mate if that was the case Silva should have been sacked after about 5 games last season lol

He deffo doesn't play offensive and expansive football and hasn't brought through anyone from the youth

Hodgson still won Zilch, keeping a club from relegation is his limit, not a big deal getting to a Europa final, Steve McLaren another Dinosaur failure did the same as did another football relic Martin O'Neill.
In those days it was the UEFA Cup, which was arguably the most competitive competition. I don’t see how squad building is not an important skill. He laid the foundations for people who came afterwards.

People forget Inter wanted him to stay at the club, but he wanted to go to Blackburn.

How is ONeill a relic, etc Getting Celtic to that final was a massive achievement. They pushed Mourinho’s Porto all the way.

You should really look more at the broad history of football, and relative success

All I am hearing is excuses. He took a team in crisis down. That is in recent times, he struggled in Spain and did somewhat OK at West Ham.

It's been a long time since his glory years (if high-ish finishes are deemed as glory, I would take them now I suppose...)
What is wrong with calling a spade a spade? He was poor at Man Utd, had a good first season at Sociedad (beating treble-winning Barcelona) and was poor the second, had an impossible job at Sunderland and did well at West Ham.

Status
Not open for further replies.