Wools - Why are you an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad, he moved over to Jersey when he was young. Used to work at Cammell Lairds welding ships and submarines. Told me all the stories when I was growing up and I've been blue addict since.

Until this year Jersey haven't had a team in the English league, so previously no local team to watch. Have started in the Combined Counties Division One, have won 27 out of 27 and already promoted but not even sure if that will happen now... the only english team still with a 100% record. Weird going to watch a team you know will win lol

Coming from St Helens I was born into a mainly rugby league loving family so Everton wasn't exactly pushed on me as a child, however, when I was 7 and first got into football, my three best mates at the time all supported the other lot so being a rebellious little so and so I chose Everton just to be different to them. That's how this 'wool' started following the club.

That was 1983 and with the glory years just around the corner, there was a lot worse times to become an Evertonian.

Went to my first game in 84 and have had a season ticket 25 years now and will have one for the rest of my life.

My Dad was a scouse who moved to St Helens in 1960 he was a mad Liverpool fan and he had two nephews Jackie Spriggs and Raymond Spriggs. Jackie was a Red Raymond a blue, but he was the only blue in my Dads wider family of reds and there was loads of them. I decided in 1968 at 7 I was an Everton fan but had only ever been taken to Anfield until in 1970 my Uncle Ray got us derby tickets when Waddle scored and the reds won 1-0. Goodison was twice the stadium of Anfield and we had Bally. If I am honest up until the death of my Dad in 86 it was usually Anfield one week and Goodison the next, hence I don't hate them and never honestly have. I stopped going as a regular around 1995 but still love the club but not Kenwright

From North Wales, now Canada. My dad took me to my first game in April 1963. The famous game where the Alex Young scored to beat Spurs 1 - 0 and we went top of the table. My dad was not happy because he was a bit of a Spurs fan. I wasn't really a fan of anyone at that time, maybe Wolves. I was after that game though. 67,000 at that game and i was hooked. Went with some friends later in the season to see us beat Fulham 4 - 1 to become champions. Became a season ticket holder a few years later. Feel very lucky and priviliged to have watched the holy trinity in their pomp. No regrets, love the blues.

Rites of passage for those from the affluent slopes of the Wirral.
Get a couple of seasons under your belt watching Rovers then when you're able to look after yourself you were allowed to go across the water.
Had two uncles, one Blue, one Red who both said they'd take me when I was old enough.
I was taken by the Everton uncle then it was a case of "once a Blue always a Blue".
Unlucky me eh? If I was one of triplets born to Raquel Welch I'd be the one that was bottle fed!

My Dad was a scouse who moved to St Helens in 1960 he was a mad Liverpool fan and he had two nephews Jackie Spriggs and Raymond Spriggs. Jackie was a Red Raymond a blue, but he was the only blue in my Dads wider family of reds and there was loads of them. I decided in 1968 at 7 I was an Everton fan but had only ever been taken to Anfield until in 1970 my Uncle Ray got us derby tickets when Waddle scored and the reds won 1-0. Goodison was twice the stadium of Anfield and we had Bally. If I am honest up until the death of my Dad in 86 it was usually Anfield one week and Goodison the next, hence I don't hate them and never honestly have. I stopped going as a regular around 1995 but still love the club but not Kenwright
I knew Ray Spriggs, top Evertonian in the 300 club, knew his football, I worked with his brother Alfie, don’t think he was all that interested in football, Jackie was a keen Labour man.

Status
Not open for further replies.