Wolfsburg Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
flying Birmingham>Hanover on day of game, looked the cheapest/closest to Wolfburg when the draw was made....obviously it's not cheap anymore, but still the closest! Didn't fancy the hassle of getting train back to Hanover afterwards, so booked hotel opposite Wolfsburg train station....you never know the numbers travelling, so could be chocka like at the Lille metro last week. Despite there being 2 or 3 trains scheduled for post-10pm after the game, would you be guaranteed getting on it? It's got me thinking about reverting to a (cheaper) Hanover hotel and doing that, but after a full day on the ale, I'm liking my current plans I reckon...hello everyone by the way, i'm new round here.

Within seconds of the draw being made I'd booked us on flights from Manchester to Hannover. Flying out on the Wednesday and returning on the Friday. They'd sold out on the same day I think, but you can probably fly from somewhere else like Birmingham.

Wolfsburg is basically the German equivalent of Hemel Hempstead or something like that. New town built by the Nazis. Nothing to see or do there.

We're staying in Hannover for the two nights and getting the train to Wolfsburg and back on the day of the game.

Think most blues I've spoken to are choosing between either Berlin or Hannover.

Within seconds of the draw being made I'd booked us on flights from Manchester to Hannover. Flying out on the Wednesday and returning on the Friday. They'd sold out on the same day I think, but you can probably fly from somewhere else like Birmingham.

Wolfsburg is basically the German equivalent of Hemel Hempstead or something like that. New town built by the Nazis. Nothing to see or do there.

We're staying in Hannover for the two nights and getting the train to Wolfsburg and back on the day of the game.

Think most blues I've spoken to are choosing between either Berlin or Hannover.

What times your flight out of Manchester, we're on one at 1345 to Hannover. It's not sold out either, just checked then...

Last edited:
What times your flight out of Manchester, we're on one at 1345 to Hannover. It's not sold out either, just checked then...

Ah, they must have put an extra flight on since.

On the day of the draw, the only flight out of Manchester was with Flybe, departing at 17.50.

I assume they've put another one on because of demand.

EDIT - Just realised that there's a few seats (expensive) on the original flight now as well. Maybe cancellations or they held some back.

Manchester - Dusseldorf - Thursday 7am
Train to Hannover - Nice Hotel facing the station
Train to Wolfsburg
Back to hotel in Hannover - Messy night out

£200 all in

We're staying in Hanover.

If you're prepared to do a bit of 'light' travelling, at both ends, you can still get to Germany for as little as £45 from Dusseldorf (just under 3 hours train to Wolfsburg) on the Thursday.

For the Weds, Bremen and Berlin are both under £70 and both within an hour of Wolfsburg. You also have the options of flying in from other countries like the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Eindhoven) or even Poland (Szczecin from Luton for £30 return, 4 hours to Wolfsburg direct on train), or even Brussels.

But look for places like Frankfurt, (3hrs), they are still accessible.

We're doing German Wings Stansted -> Hanover on the weds arriving at 10:10, and home on the friday, Berlin -> Liverpool with Easyjet. Cost £100 for the flights and 2 nights in the Hotel Iberíco, which seems pretty central in Hannover, which is what i wanted!

Train from Hanover to Berlin costing £14 quid too.

We're staying in Hanover.

If you're prepared to do a bit of 'light' travelling, at both ends, you can still get to Germany for as little as £45 from Dusseldorf (just under 3 hours train to Wolfsburg) on the Thursday.

For the Weds, Bremen and Berlin are both under £70 and both within an hour of Wolfsburg. You also have the options of flying in from other countries like the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Eindhoven) or even Poland (Szczecin from Luton for £30 return, 4 hours to Wolfsburg direct on train), or even Brussels.

But look for places like Frankfurt, (3hrs), they are still accessible.

We're doing German Wings Stansted -> Hanover on the weds arriving at 10:10, and home on the friday, Berlin -> Liverpool with Easyjet. Cost £100 for the flights and 2 nights in the Hotel Iberíco, which seems pretty central in Hannover, which is what i wanted!

Train from Hanover to Berlin costing £14 quid too.
Bmeister general...you've got our train tickets haven't you?

Bmeister general...you've got our train tickets haven't you?

For Hanover to Wolfsburg? Not yet, it's a Niedersachen ticket, costs €34,00, and covers four people, but it's just the same price on the day, so i'm gonna just buy it when we're there, and split it. £7 each, bargain.

Niedersachen ticket covers the Lower Saxony region, which is Hanover and Wolfsburg, and Bremen etc, so if you're flying in on the day to Hamburg, Bremen or Hanover look into one, as it's unlimited use in one day, and will save you a fair bit of bob.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regional/lower-saxony-ticket.shtml

For Hanover to Wolfsburg? Not yet, it's a Niedersachen ticket, costs €34,00, and covers four people, but it's just the same price on the day, so i'm gonna just buy it when we're there, and split it. £7 each, bargain.

Niedersachen ticket covers the Lower Saxony region, which is Hanover and Wolfsburg, and Bremen etc, so if you're flying in on the day to Hamburg, Bremen or Hanover look into one, as it's unlimited use in one day, and will save you a fair bit of bob.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany-regional/lower-saxony-ticket.shtml
I'll trust ya, we're only 3 miles away from each other in the hotels...you've got primark near you! haha

Been put off after Lille experience, may possibly wait till next round before I decide to go again.

I'd imagine Lille put a bad taste in the mouth for many Evertonians. It took the gloss and excitement off travelling in Europe for the games. Hopefully it will pass with no incident and everyone has a good time.

Im flying to Amsterdam from Manchester on the wed £100. staying with brother who lives in Leiden (town 30mins south of Amsterdam) wed night. Then doing 4.5hr hour train journey from leiden-hanover on morning of match (can also get direct trains from amsterdam). Then getting return train journey from hanover to wolfsburg before and after match and staying in budget ibis hanover thurs night. Getting train back to Leiden next morning. flying back to Manchester Saturday ready to watch the blues on telly verses spurs on the Sunday :).

Bit of a thought after previous comment about rush for trains.

In lille I made a crazy decision to run to the next station along on the yellow line from Gare lille flandres to caulier do to riot police and over crowding in flandres. Does anyone think is it worth booking all the trains with exact times in advance or just turn up when needed?

Going to Luton by car, flying to Dortmund then jumping on a train to Wolfsburg. Staying in Wolfsburg then doing the reverse trip back.

It's going to be so über

Im flying to Amsterdam from Manchester on the wed £100. staying with brother who lives in Leiden (town 30mins south of Amsterdam) wed night. Then doing 4.5hr hour train journey from leiden-hanover on morning of match (can also get direct trains from amsterdam). Then getting return train journey from hanover to wolfsburg before and after match and staying in budget ibis hanover thurs night. Getting train back to Leiden next morning. flying back to Manchester Saturday ready to watch the blues on telly verses spurs on the Sunday :).

Bit of a thought after previous comment about rush for trains.

In lille I made a crazy decision to run to the next station along on the yellow line from Gare lille flandres to caulier do to riot police and over crowding in flandres. Does anyone think is it worth booking all the trains with exact times in advance or just turn up when needed?

I've already booked and made reservations on our trains from Hannover to Wolfsburg and back. Cost a few quid because I booked on the faster ICE trains (journey time about 30 mins). Guessing the train just after 10pm will be chocka, so thought that was the one I'd need to reserve seats on. Paid a bit extra for the ticket so I can jump on another train (without a reservation though, admittedly) if we're early/late

Status
Not open for further replies.