With Neville going- something to ponder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are generally poor at transfers , the fact that moyes can spot a player has impacted obviously . With lescott I think there was genuinely a intention from moyes not to sell which pushed the price up and led to a deal that couldn't be turned down.

Bringing players in or moving players out we are awful at transfers and I can assure people that's a commonly held view in the game .

I would agree with that in fact to go beyond that I would say the cause of thoses issues are several fold:-

1. Lack of funds causes us to scrounge out deals which can lead to the collapse of the deal
2. The preassure on the manager to get it right everytime with limited funds causes indecision which leads to stalled transfers.
3. Everybody has their snout in the transfer money pot that includes non authroized offcial partys on both sides of the transfer table.
4 CEO and Owners playing out ego games in the transfer discussions.

I'm ready and primed for another embarrassing transfer window.

Gonna be hilarious watching teams like Wigan and Swansea splash out 20m with their newly-found funds, only for Everton's "running costs" to mysteriously rise 20m and no money given to the manager. lol

Something that Everton don't do very well in transfers is selling.
Moyes might be phenomenal at bringing in players at a bargain, but aside for Lescott he hasn't really done well at selling players at the height of their value (while bringing in players who are superior, or who in time will be)--- something that Wenger does excellently.
I think this is partly due to the club/manager/fans' strong strong strong desire not to be seen as a selling club- but selling is just a tool to be used to then bring in solid players.
Let's assume Moyes stays- we can assume he has a pretty decent list of gems he'd love to buy at a bargain who can improve the team (Jelavic, Mirallas, Gibson- all recent examples). Of the players listed above I wonder who he could do a Rodwell with this summer to finance purchases.
I mention this in this thread only because obviously the older players get and the longer we hold onto our players the lower their sell-on value becomes.
Would people be willing, for example, be willing to sell Mirallas at the end of the season if it was for a massive profit (like Anelka at Arsenal?)

Massively disagree. It is infact one of the things we do best.

In 2002 we had Pembridge ad Li Tie in midfield. Now we have Gibson and Fellaini. Have they not improved the team?

Last edited:

In 2002 we had Pembridge ad Li Tie in midfield. Now we have Gibson and Fellaini. Have they not improved the team?

I'm with hibbert on this one.

We could have sold saha or yak earlier and got more money without losing much on the pitch, same with cahill and neville. Moyes is excellent in transfers so it seems churlish to gripe but we often keep players past their sell by date rather then selling when their stock is still high.

I don't think we're terrible at it. I'm suggesting we could do a lot better.
Lescott was a brilliant sale, profit-wise.
Which other ones?

I think we are generally poor at transfers , the fact that moyes can spot a player has impacted obviously . With lescott I think there was genuinely a intention from moyes not to sell which pushed the price up and led to a deal that couldn't be turned down.

Bringing players in or moving players out we are awful at transfers and I can assure people that's a commonly held view in the game .

There's few clubs with a better hit/miss record in terms of the players they buy to be fair, sheeds. Moyes can spot a player like no-one else and I think, at least part of his dithering, does help us out in that we rarely buy duds.

But yeah I know what you mean. The way the yobo deal went and the four or five times we've announced transfers that didn't happen and the like.

There's few clubs with a better hit/miss record in terms of the players they buy to be fair, sheeds. Moyes can spot a player like no-one else and I think, at least part of his dithering, does help us out in that we rarely buy duds.

But yeah I know what you mean. The way the yobo deal went and the four or five times we've announced transfers that didn't happen and the like.

Moyes record in the market is excellent overall , I can also understand though why those working in it find him frustrating as he does tend to be very very 'considered ' but whether that's his character of the clubs financial situation or a combination of both that's the question .

I think moyes' eye for a bargain has saved us in the market because be it Yobo or the whole pienaar deal , the repeated aborted attempts to sell Heitinga and many more we are (the word I hear ) amateur .

This topic is in my opinion why DM is holding BK to ransom over his contract renewal.
I feel it's not down to league position but ultimately how can the squad be rebuilt over the next 3-4 years, as by then the likes of Howard, Distin, Hibbert, Osman, Jags will be either retired or on the brink.
Bottom line is how can we find the funds to buy replacements of this calibre, and this is why DM won't commit.

This topic is in my opinion why DM is holding BK to ransom over his contract renewal.
I feel it's not down to league position but ultimately how can the squad be rebuilt over the next 3-4 years, as by then the likes of Howard, Distin, Hibbert, Osman, Jags will be either retired or on the brink.
Bottom line is how can we find the funds to buy replacements of this calibre, and this is why DM won't commit.

That's why it's about opinions as I firmly believe its about whether anybody else wants moyes .

If you think it's about 'funds' if moyes gets the funds you believe he wants but gets offered spurs , Chelsea , city , arsenal or united (which he almost certainly won't ) would he sign for us or leave ?

Moyes record in the market is excellent overall , I can also understand though why those working in it find him frustrating as he does tend to be very very 'considered ' but whether that's his character of the clubs financial situation or a combination of both that's the question .

I think moyes' eye for a bargain has saved us in the market because be it Yobo or the whole pienaar deal , the repeated aborted attempts to sell Heitinga and many more we are (the word I hear ) amateur .

Why does Moyes dither so much?

I see your point sheeds, and I believe DM is a perfect fit for us.
That said, I just can't see the clubs you mentioned approaching him without any silverware.
I am aware he is always linked to them by the red tops but I just don't buy into it, guess that's the cynic in me.

I see your point sheeds, and I believe DM is a perfect fit for us.
That said, I just can't see the clubs you mentioned approaching him without any silverware.
I am aware he is always linked to them by the red tops but I just don't buy into it, guess that's the cynic in me.

I don't think any of them are interested mate certainly I know for a fact spurs weren't .

I don't think any of them are interested mate certainly I know for a fact spurs weren't .

He's not going to walk into a big job. The question is whether he'll risk going to somewhere like getafe or hoffenheim or Sunderland where he'll have to take a pay cut but there's a bit more cash to spend and try to build a winning team there, or stick here where's there's no cash to spend but he's on a massive set of wages.

Although it has been announced that Neville is leaving (rightly so in my opinion) it still leaves us worryingly with an ageing squad (none of our starting 11 under 25!). At the start of next season if you look at the respective ages of our supposedly strongest team, many of the team are heading towards the twilight of their careers.
Howard 34

Coleman 25
Jagileka 31
Distin 35
Baines 28

Piennar 31
Gibson 25
Felliani 25
Miralles 25

Jelavic 28
Anichebe 25

Bench
Osman 32
Heitinga 29
Naismith 26
Hibbert 32
Oviedo 23
Barkley 19
Vellios 21

Looking at this squad, not only do we have one of the smallest squads in the premiership, but it is also one of the eldest. I know there has been advances in training and nutrition of players in recent years to prolong their careers. Nevertheless be it Moyes or another manger is going to have to replace many of our squad in the next 2-3 years e.g. Howard, Distin, Hibbert, Osman, Piennar. We barely have the money to invest in the squad at present, so how on earth are we going to replace this 'ageing' team?

I think is was either The Guardian or The Mirror....but they did the average all age of teams in the PL (I think 1st 11), and we were just over 25....I don't think we have too much to worry about really

Status
Not open for further replies.