With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s more factors at play.

Firstly the sheer volume of tourists - and that’s what they are, purely tourists not Liverpool fans.

None-local fans of any club is fine as far as I can see, so long as they’re actual fans.

I actually feel sorry for scouse reds at times. The heart and sound has beeen ripped out of their club. It’s a commodity and a cult, not a club.

So I’ve no problem with any clubs fans being from anywhere, as long as they’re true fans.

@Adam-GOTTV - what’s your thoughts?
I think this is pretty spot on. I think the biggest issues are, do they actually follow the team, or do they just say they are fans because they think its cool, and is the international fandom way out of proportion with the local fandom.

The biggest thing I see over here in the states with fans of premier league teams, is the vast majority of them say they are fans(always of the top 6), and get all uppity on who they hate and put down anyone else.......but in reality watch maybe 1-2 games a year and have NO idea what is even happening with "their team". Most of the fans I run across claim to be Liverpool fans, its the hip thing to do, like being a bandwagon Steelers fan when they were good 10 years ago, but out of the 20 or so, only 1 actually follows the sport, and watches any games. This goes for Chelsea fans, Tottenham fans(Man City is rare), and Man U(except the 1 guy I know who actually is rabid about his team and a devoted supporter is Man U). The only major exception to this is Arsenal, which it seems if you are still a fan of theirs around here, you are pretty devoted and know whats going on/watch matches.

I had a guy a few days ago see me in my shirt, think I was a Chelsea fan, and then told me he was a Tottenham fan. Nice guy, but while he was insistent on how he hated Arsenal and loved Tottenham, he had no clue what had even gone on in their season and how things were going for any other team either.

For foreign Everton fans, I think they tend to either:
A) Have some reasonable connection with the club
or
B) Were 'chosen' by something.
I will plant myself firmly in the A category, but am working with a chap who would fall into the B category. I actually asked him why he chose Everton & was expecting a "Tim Cahill" response, but that's not what I got.

He said when he started getting interested in the PL, he had no idea who to follow. He watched a few games & felt he just didn't want to be one of the sheep wearing what everyone else wore, but wanted to support a club that had a unique identity. He found himself watching more Everton games & just 'got it'.

I think there is a chance that some people want to stand out & wear the colours of someone else. To me, that's not 'getting it' though. That'd be like a Bandwagon Blue.

There's also the Glory hunters. And, I bet any of our other International contributors would have the same experience as me... You didn't see Man City gear in the streets a few years ago! They're shallow & of little consequence as they stop supporting the club as soon as the good times roll by.

So, what is it then? Is it the old underdog syndrome, punching above our weight that attracts people. Is it our Heritage, History, and Goodison? Or is it truly just about being touched by the club (appropriately) and we just cannot quantify it? I know the guy I spoke to still doesn't know why he's a Blue, but that's good enough for me.

I think this is pretty spot on. I think the biggest issues are, do they actually follow the team, or do they just say they are fans because they think its cool, and is the international fandom way out of proportion with the local fandom.

The biggest thing I see over here in the states with fans of premier league teams, is the vast majority of them say they are fans(always of the top 6), and get all uppity on who they hate and put down anyone else.......but in reality watch maybe 1-2 games a year and have NO idea what is even happening with "their team". Most of the fans I run across claim to be Liverpool fans, its the hip thing to do, like being a bandwagon Steelers fan when they were good 10 years ago, but out of the 20 or so, only 1 actually follows the sport, and watches any games. This goes for Chelsea fans, Tottenham fans(Man City is rare), and Man U(except the 1 guy I know who actually is rabid about his team and a devoted supporter is Man U). The only major exception to this is Arsenal, which it seems if you are still a fan of theirs around here, you are pretty devoted and know whats going on/watch matches.

I had a guy a few days ago see me in my shirt, think I was a Chelsea fan, and then told me he was a Tottenham fan. Nice guy, but while he was insistent on how he hated Arsenal and loved Tottenham, he had no clue what had even gone on in their season and how things were going for any other team either.
This is pretty true and my experience actually. Most of my mates are Arsenal fans, have been for 20 years and are rabid. I do have see some hard core Spurs supporters around here, due at least in part to the fact the "godfather" of Pittsburgh soccer and frequenter of our longest standing soccer bar was a transplanted Londoner who supported Spurs.

I'm trying my best to bring more and more of my friends to the despair that is being an Evertonian.

that's fair enough mate not saying your any less of a fan than I am, I just don't understand it, like all my mates are red or blue, in school was the same everyone had the banter of the derby etc, the weekend was always about going the footy when you was a kid, at the pub on the weekend it was full of reds and blue so was banter before/after the game in regards to them not winning the league etc

people who live far away don't have that do they? again it's not a dig like I just don't see how young'uns don't get it engraved into them when they are kids by family members etc haha

It's not as black and white as this, is it? Love for or draw towards a certain club can be triggered by more than just local connections or family ties? Supporting Fortuna Sittard over here in Holland, since the age of 6, as they are my local team an never felt any need whatsoever to choose one of the big teams over here.

Roll on the mid eighties and Fortuna getting coupled with Everton in the ECWC. Getting more and more interested in English football around that age, it immediately felt a match between me and that mystical team from England, which to be fair hadn't really took any notice of before. Was probably destined to become a Nottingham Forest fan before that faithful day, as I was crazy about all things Robin Hood during my younger years.

Went to the match in Sittard and was stood right next to the away section, with quite a few Evertonians in our home end. Didn't really feel comfortable tbh, and one of the travelling Everton fans must have noticed, as he handed over an Everton scarf to me.

That was me completely hooked on Everton for the rest of my life. Never looked back since. Now I know a lot of people claim you can only really support one football team in your life, but that's a discussion I'll leave for another day.

Have been to England to watch Everton (and other clubs, as I love groundhopping the English leagues) quite a few times and I think everyone who met me, will testify I've not only fallen in love with that blue club from Liverpool, but also the city of Liverpool itself.

A good blue is a good blue is a good blue. There are plenty of good, not so good and down right pathetic Scouse Evertonians, as anyone who has ever lived in the city will know. These days, most if not all Premier League clubs attract, to a greater or lesser extent, tourists. Such is the popularity of football in general and the level of interest in our league.

It's not as black and white as this, is it? Love for or draw towards a certain club can be triggered by more than just local connections or family ties? Supporting Fortuna Sittard over here in Holland, since the age of 6, as they are my local team an never felt any need whatsoever to choose one of the big teams over here.

Roll on the mid eighties and Fortuna getting coupled with Everton in the ECWC. Getting more and more interested in English football around that age, it immediately felt a match between me and that mystical team from England, which to be fair hadn't really took any notice of before. Was probably destined to become a Nottingham Forest fan before that faithful day, as I was crazy about all things Robin Hood during my younger years.

Went to the match in Sittard and was stood right next to the away section, with quite a few Evertonians in our home end. Didn't really feel comfortable tbh, and one of the travelling Everton fans must have noticed, as he handed over an Everton scarf to me.

That was me completely hooked on Everton for the rest of my life. Never looked back since. Now I know a lot of people claim you can only really support one football team in your life, but that's a discussion I'll leave for another day.

Have been to England to watch Everton (and other clubs, as I love groundhopping the English leagues) quite a few times and I think everyone who met me, will testify I've not only fallen in love with that blue club from Liverpool, but also the city of Liverpool itself.

you seem to think I am having a dig at you when I'm not, I did say I'm not having a dig, I just didn't understand SOME peoples reasoning to supporting a club miles away, even If I didn't understand their reasoning in no way am I saying they are less of a fan

that's all I'm getting at

you seem to think I am having a dig at you when I'm not, I did say I'm not having a dig, I just didn't understand SOME peoples reasoning to supporting a club miles away, even If I didn't understand their reasoning in no way am I saying they are less of a fan

that's all I'm getting at
No mate, not the intention of my post at all. Just wanted to tell my reason why I chose to/was chosen to support Everton

That’s boss, mate.

LFC is primarily a business. Locals can't afford to go to the game anymore because of the greed of clubs. And of course there are glory hunters everywhere, Roy Keane called it right when he slagged off the prawn sandwich brigade.
Everton are not there yet in terms of being run as a profit only business and have a great community effort going. But like all things in capitalism, this won't last when greed eventually kicks in.

Whenever Ive flow to England for Everton matches the local supporters have been more than welcoming. Every Evertonian thinks im there for the rs ofc, but once the cat is out of the bag it quickly turns into a stick they can beat their rs friends with, and thats always hilarious to be a part of - and the friendliness is very much appreciated.
The only bad Evertonians are online, from my experience.

Liverpool locals are probably, in general, the friendliest people I meet tbh. Havent got a bad word to say about any of yous.

Living in Plymouth, I end up not making the 10-hour round drive as often as I'd like. I've met several blues down here and they've all been ace, while the red fans I know of are all utter weapons.
Drove up with some of the blues a couple years ago, 5 of us basically strangers crammed into a small Rover and made it in time for the late kick off. Didn't make a day trip out of it, we were all there just for Everton and started back right after the game ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.