A blueprint: Think small to think big (and why not Graham Potter & Ostersunds FK?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

APN_EFC

Player Valuation: £25m
A lot of people agree that we have to not only replace our manager, coaching staff and at least 1/3 of the players, but also revamp the culture, 'identity', business and development of the club. We seem to have lost our style, and have a romantic idea of 'the School of Science' or 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' as if they actually mean something. We also mistakenly talk of entitlement and 'what we deserve' , just because we are the 4th most successful team in history! (As if anyone remembers that any more). Sometimes, in the darkest days people even whispered how relegation might even be good for us!

For some balance, though, don't forget we are still a premier league club, still, on average. the 7th or 8th best team over the last 10 years, and still have a lot of potential. Our situation is not that bad, and engaging in a refresh or rebrand of the club from this relatively comfortable position is a great opportunity. I would like to see our club behave as if we really are in a crisis, or as if we have been relegated or financially ruined. The supporters' voices seem to be drowned out or ignored because of maybe media spin, or that we are not very sophisticated, influential or well-known, and the club and fans are often patronised.

Well if I could really tell the owners and leaders what to do (by the way, I still don't know really who is in charge!), I would say start from scratch, and fix every small detail in the club. Even the single social media post to the largest signing or ground renovation should follow a pattern and business plan.

- Company Culture - independent, 'authentic', local club
- Fans - real investment in the club, even consider fans ownership model
- Connection to the community and city - build on the success of EiTC, the city's cultural offering, and the city's development
- International appeal - use Howard, Pienaar, Cahill, Funes Mori, Tosun properly! Really engage with their popularity in their countries, but more importantly, tap into the 'tourist' or 'international fan' who is looking to support an 'authentic' 'real' EPL club, and not just jump on the Man City or Man U bandwagon. It's cool to support an 'offbeat' 'different' club.
- Playing Style. Let's be fair, we can't replicate Pepball, Barcajax or anything. I think that the closest style of football that will motivate and reflect the fans' wants are the high tempo, aggressive German style or something like it. We like silky, stylish football, but we also like aggression, tackles and fight. There should be room for both tough solid players and skilful lightweight players. Let that be the style of the academy and the first team
- Finance & business - like international appeal we should really promote everton properly, once we have it's culture sorted
- The staff in every area of the club should be part of the ambition, progress and development. I work in the culture industry in Liverpool, and I see all the time that the city is not ambitious enough internationally and doesn't do well in comparison to other cities. That's partly because Liverpool is caught between trying to stay small, local and independent, but also wants to improve its infrastructure, business and international appeal. We shouldn't fall into that trap - we can do both!

I thought the story of Ostersunds was really great, and something we can learn from. Its a little bit Moneyball, and also places importance on things that football clubs don't - culture. values, emotions, relationships and shared responsibilities. If we could attract these ideas, Graham Potter, or something like this, I think it's a good blue print for us to move forward

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902664

A lot of people agree that we have to not only replace our manager, coaching staff and at least 1/3 of the players,

Suspect this is the fan verdict for most football clubs - if not now, every two/three seasons it will be.

In reality it doesn't work - as we seen with too much change last summer. Evolution, not revolution.

but also revamp the culture, 'identity', business and development of the club. We seem to have lost our style, and have a romantic idea of 'the School of Science' or 'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum' as if they actually mean something.

I disagree.You say we need to revamp our culture, but then belittle ours with "as if they actually mean something"

We have a very clear identity, that's why fans will never accept Sam Allardyce.

We also mistakenly talk of entitlement and 'what we deserve' , just because we are the 4th most successful team in history! (As if anyone remembers that any more). Sometimes, in the darkest days people even whispered how relegation might even be good for us!

Again, have to disagree.

For some balance, though, don't forget we are still a premier league club, still, on average. the 7th or 8th best team over the last 10 years, and still have a lot of potential. Our situation is not that bad, and engaging in a refresh or rebrand of the club from this relatively comfortable position is a great opportunity.

Tend to agree with an opportunity is there.

In an awful season of turmoil, we were still a sniff away from Europa league.

I would like to see our club behave as if we really are in a crisis, or as if we have been relegated or financially ruined. The supporters' voices seem to be drowned out or ignored because of maybe media spin, or that we are not very sophisticated, influential or well-known, and the club and fans are often patronised.

Agree as a club we are patronised, Everton should know their place and get back in their box. I think if you reviewed your thread here you inadvertently reaffirm that by dismissing Everton's identity and refer to entitlement.

Well if I could really tell the owners and leaders what to do (by the way, I still don't know really who is in charge!), I would say start from scratch, and fix every small detail in the club. Even the single social media post to the largest signing or ground renovation should follow a pattern and business plan.

- Company Culture - independent, 'authentic', local club
- Fans - real investment in the club, even consider fans ownership model
- Connection to the community and city - build on the success of EiTC, the city's cultural offering, and the city's development
- International appeal - use Howard, Pienaar, Cahill, Funes Mori, Tosun properly! Really engage with their popularity in their countries, but more importantly, tap into the 'tourist' or 'international fan' who is looking to support an 'authentic' 'real' EPL club, and not just jump on the Man City or Man U bandwagon. It's cool to support an 'offbeat' 'different' club.
- Playing Style. Let's be fair, we can't replicate Pepball, Barcajax or anything. I think that the closest style of football that will motivate and reflect the fans' wants are the high tempo, aggressive German style or something like it. We like silky, stylish football, but we also like aggression, tackles and fight. There should be room for both tough solid players and skilful lightweight players. Let that be the style of the academy and the first team
- Finance & business - like international appeal we should really promote everton properly, once we have it's culture sorted
- The staff in every area of the club should be part of the ambition, progress and development. I work in the culture industry in Liverpool, and I see all the time that the city is not ambitious enough internationally and doesn't do well in comparison to other cities. That's partly because Liverpool is caught between trying to stay small, local and independent, but also wants to improve its infrastructure, business and international appeal. We shouldn't fall into that trap - we can do both!

It's easy to talk about problems, offering the solutions is the challenge.

Example - "Use Tosun/Pienaar etc properly". What could they be doing realistically that they don't already do?

I thought the story of Ostersunds was really great, and something we can learn from. Its a little bit Moneyball, and also places importance on things that football clubs don't - culture. values, emotions, relationships and shared responsibilities. If we could attract these ideas, Graham Potter, or something like this, I think it's a good blue print for us to move forward

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902664

That "story" happens every season. It's football.

Example - "Use Tosun/Pienaar etc properly". What could they be doing realistically that they don't already do?

100% the lot over the park will be using Salah to market their club tat in Egypt. I'd be amazed if they didn't play a friendly there pre season and take advantage. In 10 years a generation of kids there will be adults buying into Liverpool.

We had Landon Freaking Donovan playing for us who is considered one of the USAs best players. Their player of the year trophy is named after him FFS and we couldn't even take advantage of that!!

OP is right, everything from the ground up needs to be revamped. As Buddy Kane once said "In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times."

100% the lot over the park will be using Salah to market their club tat in Egypt. I'd be amazed if they didn't play a friendly there pre season and take advantage. In 10 years a generation of kids there will be adults buying into Liverpool.

We had Landon Freaking Donovan playing for us who is considered one of the USAs best players. Their player of the year trophy is named after him FFS and we couldn't even take advantage of that!!

OP is right, everything from the ground up needs to be revamped. As Buddy Kane once said "In order to be successful, one must project an image of success at all times."

Again - using Tosun as the example, what could the club be doing realistically that they don't already do?

Personally, I'm sick of seeing his grid and "Everton Turkey" - it's everywhere;

cenk.jpg

cenk2.jpg

Out of interest, how are you quantifying those things. You say that Liverpool must be cashing on on Salah whilst we failed miserably with Donovan. What data do you have to back that up?

There no doubt that the club needs a complete overhaul,
We need a new owner, Moshiri currently doesn't own then club. hopefully soon
We need a new CEO, One who knows how to running a multi million/billion pound business properly and is forward thinking
A new Chairmen who hasn't overseen 20 years of failure
A new DOF as the current one is terrible and totally under qualified
We need a new manager to reconnect the fans base, not only with the club but also with each other.

The squad, isn't to bad, it needs one or 2 new faces and a few moved on

Out of interest, how are you quantifying those things. You say that Liverpool must be cashing on on Salah whilst we failed miserably with Donovan. What data do you have to back that up?

The fact that nothing ever came of it. He came, played well, claimed he was a life long Evertonian and then no-one ever mentioned it again.

Re: Salah I said "they will" meaning in the future because they have business planning acumen. Hence the tours in the far east, the US, Scandinavian (obviously) and Ireland. Look how United and RS are received on these tours. Thousands of people waiting at airports, signings, stadium sell outs for meaningless friendlies. Imagine what either of them would've done if they had Donovan for a short time who then claimed he was a "lifelong United fan/Liverpudlian"? Compare this to our handling of international relationships.

There no doubt that the club needs a complete overhaul,
We need a new owner, Moshiri currently doesn't own then club. hopefully soon
We need a new CEO, One who knows how to running a multi million/billion pound business properly and is forward thinking
A new Chairmen who hasn't overseen 20 years of failure
A new DOF as the current one is terrible and totally under qualified
We need a new manager to reconnect the fans base, not only with the club but also with each other.

The squad, isn't to bad, it needs one or 2 new faces and a few moved on

Agree with all, but the last line. I’d say we need at least 5 or 6 new 1st team ready players & easily have 10-12 who are no longer or never have been fit for purpose. That’s assuming we have aspirations of breaking into the top 6.

Agree with all, but the last line. I’d say we need at least 5 or 6 new 1st team ready players & easily have 10-12 who are no longer or never have been fit for purpose. That’s assuming we have aspirations of breaking into the top 6.
A new CB,LB Striker and probably a CM is what we need most

Status
Not open for further replies.