Why is it always a big No to Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is Moyes took us as far as he could.

We've had countless opportunities to get upgrades and opted against it, from Rangnick, to Tuchel etc... we've just got it wrong, so wrong.

Moyes repeatedly lost the biggest cup games, which was my point. Whether that's the worst Liverpool team in 45 years, and trying to bring on Hibbert at 1-1 on 89 minutes, or Wigan where we'd have had a Championship side at Wembley to contend with.

Am I saying we're in a better place? No. Am I saying Moyes will never be the answer? Yes.
Yes he did without a pot to p&£@ in.
And still bottled every semi, the final and every big game.

Money is irrelevant. He assembled a squad capable of winning trophies. But he didn’t have the confidence to go and actually finish the job.

The Semi Final against Liverpool is still one of my most angering Everton moments. If he doesn’t go ultra negative against Fiorentina away, we have a great path to the final.

How much money he had was irrelevant when he’d already assembled the tools.
you must be surprised that Man City, Chelsea, and radio are winning all before them then. Who’d of thought top class players costing top class fees win you things.

you must be surprised that Man City, Chelsea, and radio are winning all before them then. Who’d of thought top class players costing top class fees win you things.
Possibly down to the huge wage we had to pay him when he was here, he was one of the best paid managers in Europe whilst with us.

He made a few Bob for the club in transfers in and out.
When you say the club is that Everton or the controlling minds of the club? I don't see much evidence of any ever coming the way of the spectators in either top players to push us on, or stadium improvements of any kind.

In an age before City had money, we had a chance, it wasn’t the closed shop.

Bolton won trophies, Portsmouth won trophies.

I don’t like Moyes, but not saying he didn’t do a good job. But, his time will be looked back in theory as a failure, after he steadied the ship.

Always appreciate everything he did, but he assembled a squad capable of winning trophies and didn’t deliver.

I think Moyes is definitely remembered through blue-rose tinted specs just because (a) we're worse than normal right now, (b) West Ham have had a good season-and-a-bit. It's taken Moyes about 8 years to have a good season: disaster at Man Utd, disaster at Sunderland, nothing of note at Sociedad, not exactly amazing stuff at West Ham first time around, and was going the way of non-employabe until West Ham gave him another shot. He did very well taking us from a team at the bottom end of the Prem to best of the rest, but there was a lot of boring, dour football too. Sure, a top 4 finish once in 11 years and a cup final, but also zero trophies and zero wins away at the big teams. Even for every Europa League campaign we qualified for we swiftly crashed out of looking like amateurs at European football. For me, Moyes had hit his ceiling with us and we were really just plodding along as a mid-table team, never winning anything, never challenging for anything (unlike now, where we're a mid-table team, never winning anything, never challenging for anything buuuuut at least have the ambitions of a rich owner).

I think Moyes is definitely remembered through blue-rose tinted specs just because (a) we're worse than normal right now, (b) West Ham have had a good season-and-a-bit. It's taken Moyes about 8 years to have a good season: disaster at Man Utd, disaster at Sunderland, nothing of note at Sociedad, not exactly amazing stuff at West Ham first time around, and was going the way of non-employabe until West Ham gave him another shot. He did very well taking us from a team at the bottom end of the Prem to best of the rest, but there was a lot of boring, dour football too. Sure, a top 4 finish once in 11 years and a cup final, but also zero trophies and zero wins away at the big teams. Even for every Europa League campaign we qualified for we swiftly crashed out of looking like amateurs at European football. For me, Moyes had hit his ceiling with us and we were really just plodding along as a mid-table team, never winning anything, never challenging for anything (unlike now, where we're a mid-table team, never winning anything, never challenging for anything buuuuut at least have the ambitions of a rich owner).

Great post.

Same way Benitez was going to get stick, when he had a bad spell.

Moyes was all going to get shouts as soon as he did well again, only took 8 years.

In an age before City had money, we had a chance, it wasn’t the closed shop.

Bolton won trophies, Portsmouth won trophies.

I don’t like Moyes, but not saying he didn’t do a good job. But, his time will be looked back in theory as a failure, after he steadied the ship.

Always appreciate everything he did, but he assembled a squad capable of winning trophies and didn’t deliver.
He assembled a squad of decent players with a shoe string to his disposal. We where the main club over a period of time challenging the big spenders, however he wasn’t given the funds to get over the line. As you said we had a chance. He was a descent manager for Everton IMO better than any since he’s left.

however he wasn’t given the funds to get over the line.
Not sure if lack of funds is the main reason Moyes could never get across the line in terms of winning a trophy or cracking the top 4. His pragmatic, conservative approach only takes a team so far. United had huge resources, but he style never changed on the pitch. 11 years and zero away wins at the big clubs, yet Martinez and Carlo cracked that pretty quick because they went with a bit of belief and ambition and had a go. That was never Moyes style, regardless of money.

Frankly if we were bringing back a manager I would rather it be Bobby Brown Shoes or even Hi-Ho Silva. I dont think dour Davey ever took us anywhere other than upper mid table mediocrity. He hit his ceiling. He does realise that to draw/win in the prem you do have to have some big units who can put it about a bit, which Benitez seems to fail to grasp.
Charles, Benitez has only been here six months and they’ve took the cheque book off him after he had spent £1.7M, give him a chance mate!!

Outside of the top 4 clubs and briefly Aston Villa....he had as much money if not more that the rest of the teams in the division.
11 seasons of not winning at Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal basically told us his demeanor (knife to a gunfight attitude) and went there not to lose and hope at best for a draw.
Liverpool semi stood out for me when we had a half time lead and under not great threat and looked capable of maybe adding to the scoreline, but 2nd half and we go defensive and lost any control of the game we had.

Not sure if lack of funds is the main reason Moyes could never get across the line in terms of winning a trophy or cracking the top 4. His pragmatic, conservative approach only takes a team so far. United had huge resources, but he style never changed on the pitch. 11 years and zero away wins at the big clubs, yet Martinez and Carlo cracked that pretty quick because they went with a bit of belief and ambition and had a go. That was never Moyes style, regardless of money.

Martinez won once away at the top clubs in 3 seasons. Ironically against Moyes of course. I doubt he would have beat a Fergie team. That is absolutely not ‘cracking it’.

And Carlo only won big away games at empty stadiums and every stat in the book tells you about the anomalies of away wins last year.
When faced with a crowd we got beat 4-0 by Chelsea, 5-0 by City and lost against Liverpool’s youth team. ‘Cracked it’.

Status
Not open for further replies.