Why don't we get a Europa place now Chelsea have won it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard one DODGY rumour of wigan giving up their europe spot because martinez think 'it will be a distraction from wigan coming back up'. If they give it up, it can only go to us.

If this is true, does that sound like Martinez is coming to us?

Heard one DODGY rumour of wigan giving up their europe spot because martinez think 'it will be a distraction from wigan coming back up'. If they give it up, it can only go to us.

If this is true, does that sound like Martinez is coming to us?

Tell him to do one if its true. Which it probably isnt anyway.

Out of curiosity...who would rather qualify for Europe via our general play/table position than a technicality/fair play entry?

Just curious. Would love to see a poll on it.

Out of curiosity...who would rather qualify for Europe via our general play/table position than a technicality/fair play entry?

Just curious. Would love to see a poll on it.

I'd be happy if they had a rule that gave it to clubs beginning with E ........

i wouldn't call it a dodgy rumour at all

i called it ages ago saying that any club can give up their european spot if they wish to

the fact wigan got relegated doesnt mean they have to, but consider the fact they will be playing in a 46 game division next year plus an additional 3 if they make the playoffs, + an additional 2 minimum for cup games, + an additional 2 for qualifier to get to group stages + an additional 4-5 games in group stages = a season with potentially over 60 games?

would they want that ideally if they are looking to bounce straight back up with minimal effort? im sure the fans would be happy to forgoe europe to get back in the prem, they are probably exstatic to have just won a cup.

i wouldn't call it a dodgy rumour at all

i called it ages ago saying that any club can give up their european spot if they wish to

the fact wigan got relegated doesnt mean they have to, but consider the fact they will be playing in a 46 game division next year plus an additional 3 if they make the playoffs, + an additional 2 minimum for cup games, + an additional 2 for qualifier to get to group stages + an additional 4-5 games in group stages = a season with potentially over 60 games?

would they want that ideally if they are looking to bounce straight back up with minimal effort? im sure the fans would be happy to forgoe europe to get back in the prem, they are probably exstatic to have just won a cup.

wouldn't it make more sense to just play youngsters / reserves until they lose? Can't see the advantage in giving up something that they earned, and surely the tv revenue is worth something

It saddens me that we're one of the only clubs who would welcome Europa league football, and yet we've missed out by the narrowest of margins for 4 seasons in a row.

Mind you, there's bound to be a place in the competition untaken now.

A place reserved for the winners......but not being used because the winners are in the CL.

Or maybe the winners don't automatically have entry into the Europa League the following season?

You're probably right. Of course, if Liverpool win it the rules might need to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.