Who'd you keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone bin rom?! Seriously! We have one of the best young goal scorers in the world! He does his job, scores. Get better service and he will score more.

Baffling.
Sometimes you only appreciate something when it is no longer there. I dread to think where we would be in the league without rom. Our second highest goalscorer is Coleman. Yes let's do away with our main source of goals.

With Koeman saying he knows what needs to be done, realistically out of our established squad who would you keep?
I'm not suggesting this happen overnight but if we want to move to the next level the only ones I can go with are:
Williams
Coleman
Baines
Barkley
Gueye
Lukaku
Potential
Lookman
Holgate
Davies

A bit of job on with this rebuilding job as Baines is possibly a doubtful!
Agree with all of that, just give DCL and Galloway a chance to prove themselves. Also Besic in last chance saloon for me

I've been through my thoughts on Lukaku many times before, I've even provided a link to my screediest essay on the lad. We won't get a striker who scores as many goals as he does in a season, but I'm certain we can find someone who isn't such a liability to the team in every other aspect of their football.
I only want my strikers to score goals. I don't want him running around like a headless chicken burning energy, yeah his holdup play could be much better, but the fact he has usually a centre half stuck to him all the time has something to do with it, he is so isolated at times teams can man mark him all over the pitch. He has room for improvement giving his age.

Nonsense To suggest we are better off without.

Pure Diarrhoea in fact

Williams, Coleman, Baines.

Long term:
Holgate, Davies Gueye, Barkley, Besic, Lookman, Deulofeu, DCL, Lukaku.

The most important thing would be a high quality new spine of a team - GK, CB, CM, AM, ST. Ironically, they should have more of a backbone.

Sometimes you only appreciate something when it is no longer there. I dread to think where we would be in the league without rom. Our second highest goalscorer is Coleman. Yes let's do away with our main source of goals.

And there is the rub. We don't seem to have any other goal scorers who chip in with 10-12 goals a season. Until that changes, we can never hope to compete at the top table because if the opposition shackle Rom, they pretty much stop us scoring.
Plus, of course, we don't actually play to Rom's strengths too often

Keepers
I'd keep one of robles/stek (can't decide which, maybe robles because of age, but stek is more reliable and would love to see us get begovic and pickford to battle it out for the no.1 spot - Pickford being out future long-term keeper.

Defence
Coleman, kenny, williams, mori, holgate, galloway, baines

Midfield
Mirallas, Deulofeu, Gueye, Davies, Walsh, Barkley, Besic, Bolasie, Lookman, Tarashaj

Strikers
Lukaku, DCL

That's 17 first team players with possibly a couple of youths to come through.

I would consider keeping Jagielka, McCarthy (our best hope of raising a good sale), Lennon (can't believe he's only 20!) and Barry as squad fillers and a bit of necessary experience.

However, most of them would not be in my starting XI; as well as the two keepers i mentioned above, we'd need a new left back in the summer to properly push Baines, we obviously need a new dominating centre back, we need a new DM to replace Barry (hopefully schneiderlin), we would need 1, possibly 2 new wingers (i'm just not sure on lennon any more, whereas mirallas and deulofeu could provide a tad more class), as well as two strikers, ideally one who can also play as a playmaker.

And that has us around that 25 player mark including a couple coming through from the youth which aren't included.

That sees a release over the next two windows of:
Robles/Stek
Oviedo
Garbutt
Browning
Pennington
Gibson
Cleverley
McGeady
McAleny
Henen
Niasse
Valencia
Kone
Rodriguez

and possibly:
Jagielka, McCarthy, Barry and Lennon as well as Tarashaj, Grant and Dowell (who are al young enough to have more of a chance imo)

Think that's a decent overhaul over the next 2 or 3 windows.

With Koeman saying he knows what needs to be done, realistically out of our established squad who would you keep?
I'm not suggesting this happen overnight but if we want to move to the next level the only ones I can go with are:
Williams
Coleman
Baines
Barkley
Gueye
Lukaku
Potential
Lookman
Holgate
Davies

A bit of job on with this rebuilding job as Baines is possibly a doubtful!

Del should be top of that list.

For the first 11 for now (being realistic)

Coleman, Williams, Gueye, Barkley, Lukaku (will probably be sold).

For the squad for now:

Stekelenburg
Browning
Holgate
Mori
Baines
Lennon
Davies
Barry (I wouldn't personally have kept him but he's just signed a new contract)
McCarthy
Besic
Deulofeu
Bolasie
Calvert-Lewin
Lookman

Then next summer i'd be looking at replacing Williams and having Coleman as a squad player and getting rid of a further 8+ from the above list.

In this window and this summer get rid of:

Robles (I think he's a decent back up keeper but no point having him and Stekelenburg)
Jagielka
Oviedo
Galloway
Cleverley
Gibson
McGeady
Mirallas
Niasse
Kone
Valencia
Henen

For the first 11 for now (being realistic)

Coleman, Williams, Gueye, Barkley, Lukaku (will probably be sold).

For the squad for now:

Stekelenburg
Browning
Holgate
Mori
Baines
Lennon
Davies
Barry (I wouldn't personally have kept him but he's just signed a new contract)
McCarthy
Besic
Deulofeu
Bolasie
Calvert-Lewin
Lookman

Then next summer i'd be looking at replacing Williams and having Coleman as a squad player and getting rid of a further 8+ from the above list.

In this window and this summer get rid of:

Robles (I think he's a decent back up keeper but no point having him and Stekelenburg)
Jagielka
Oviedo
Galloway
Cleverley
Gibson
McGeady
Mirallas
Niasse
Kone
Valencia
Henen
You're not far off with that squad.

I've been through my thoughts on Lukaku many times before, I've even provided a link to my screediest essay on the lad. We won't get a striker who scores as many goals as he does in a season, but I'm certain we can find someone who isn't such a liability to the team in every other aspect of their football.
The most important aspect in football is scoring goals - ergo you need a goalscorer. But, let's sell our only goalscorer and get some players in who run around a lot. As far as I can see there is no method in this madness.

How can anyone bin rom?! Seriously! We have one of the best young goal scorers in the world! He does his job, scores. Get better service and he will score more.

Baffling.
If left to me I'd keep him everyday. Of the week, I can see why he might get binned off though, having a player like him changes the team dynamic, as much as I hate to talk about them, I doubt anybody in that Liverpool team would out score Sturbridge, yet with him out of the team it plays better, if we got the right players in I'd sacrifice lukaku for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.