Which managerial sacking was the biggest mistake?

Who should we have kept on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Koeman had a horrendous fixture list that cost him his job when we lost most of them plus a dreadul malling to Atalanta in Europe. Heard he was also unpopular at the club amongst staff, arrogant and stand offish. Martinez never got the chance with the increased cash but his stubborness with Distin was very strange and ultimately cost him his job. Silva was unlucky with a few results notably Brighton away but the heavy defeat at Analfield after a bad run left him doomed. He was popular with players though and a good coach which he is now proving at Fulham. Whichever way you cut it, I dont think they playing staff feel they are expected to win at Everton anymore. Making up the numbers in a league they cant win appears sufficient throughout the club.

Worse than where we are now?

Yes

A big part of the problems we've had in recent years has been overpaid, ageing players on the books who we can't shift - we only got shut of Tosun in the summer

Giving Allardyce a summer transfer window with his mate Walsh would have only made that problem worse and wouldn't have been balanced out by Allardyce finishing 10th or whatever if he'd been allowed to see out the final 12 months of his contract

He had a golden opportunity to show the world that he wasn’t a one trick grock ale house, horrible style merchant with us, as we were safe, and he decided to keep the same horrible tactics and way of playing instead - until Benitez, the most un-Everton Everton manager possible.

Plus he should never have got the job in the first place.

62202FE9-6456-4BE8-A7CB-9237D29FAFCA.jpeg

Ultimately, this is why Sam got the hook. He got us to 8th that season from the relegation zone so fair play to him for that but the fans couldn’t buy into that style of football long term.

Would we take that in our current predicament to guarantee safety though? Most probably would.

All well and good looking back now but at the time most fans wanted each manager gone.

He had a golden opportunity to show the world that he wasn’t a one trick grock ale house, horrible style merchant with us, as we were safe, and he decided to keep the same horrible tactics and way of playing instead - until Benitez, the most un-Everton Everton manager possible.

Plus he should never have got the job in the first place.
Exactly this - for prob the first time in his career he had a period of no pressure, we're safe, let's play some football. What happened? He wet his big knickers and continued to play alehouse kick and run because that's all he knows.
Horrible episode in the club's history but at least we got Tosun out of it eh?

From the above list BFS because he had done what he had asked to do. He was sacked by finishing 8th and because the fans didn’t like him. I always say give mid finger to style of play. As long as we win, I don’t care how boring the football style is. I don’t see how entertaining it is to see Everton losing game after game now.

I remember Koeman had a horrendous fixture list that cost him his job when we lost most of them plus a dreadul malling to Atalanta in Europe. Heard he was also unpopular at the club amongst staff, arrogant and stand offish. Martinez never got the chance with the increased cash but his stubborness with Distin was very strange and ultimately cost him his job. Silva was unlucky with a few results notably Brighton away but the heavy defeat at Analfield after a bad run left him doomed. He was popular with players though and a good coach which he is now proving at Fulham. Whichever way you cut it, I dont think they playing staff feel they are expected to win at Everton anymore. Making up the numbers in a league they cant win appears sufficient throughout the club.
Kendall said something related after his third spell (we were probably even worse then than we are now but it's close). The song Simply the Best came on the coach radio and everyone started laughing - something like that. And he felt sad looking at the losing mentality he was working with, relative to what he'd had previous at Goodison.
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for one man to root out a culture of absolute losers, but it can be done. Moyes did it, in fact.

On reflection you'd say Silva but he wouldn't have last the run he was going through.

The biggest mistake was the whole system of the club from director of football, to recruitment and style of play.

We have little to no identity. The only identity we have is signing average players for big money with no sell on value.

Exactly this - for prob the first time in his career he had a period of no pressure, we're safe, let's play some football. What happened? He wet his big knickers and continued to play alehouse kick and run because that's all he knows.
Horrible episode in the club's history but at least we got Tosun out of it eh?
How people forget this baffles me - he had his shot at a big club in everton when we were safe and he shat it - if he would have at least tried to change his ways and play some footy I could have gave him longer in the job and a bit more money to spend, to see where he went with us.

Until Benitez, BFS was the worst I have felt supporting and watching Everton, but tbh most of our recent history I would like to forget ever happened, even the so called “good times” with Bill Jong-Un.

Fat Sam, the rest all had to go.
Fact is the only one that improved us.
Fact is it was the most painful of improvements and I couldn’t suffer it any more. Even when were safe he carried on with it the dirge. I guarantee he would have got us top 8 the next season but atmosphere would have been toxic and he would have been hounded out.
The only side is that we would have been more resilient as a club.

Koeman results that got him the sack:

Everton 1-0 Stoke
Man. City 1-1 Everton
Chelsea 2-0 Everton
Everton 0-3 Spurs
Man. United 4-0 Everton
Everton 2-1 Bournemouth
Everton 0-1 Burnley
Brighton 1-1 Everton
Everton 2-5 Arsenal

Got just 9 league games that season and club was also in europa. O.k some poor defeats there but aside from Burnley all it shows is club would've been miles off top 6 which shouldn't have been a shock given Lukaku hadn't been replaced at all.

Carlo had a similar run after lockdown.
Stank the Europa out as well from what I remember. The scores look better on paper than the performances were - Koeman had completely lost it.

None of them were really mistakes, they were all terrible managers, although you could argue the mistake was appointing them in the first place, but it would make little difference with the clowns at the top, they're the ones who need sacking

None of them were really mistakes, they were all terrible managers, although you could argue the mistake was appointing them in the first place, but it would make little difference with the clowns at the top, they're the ones who need sacking

Koeman is or wasn't a terrible manager. Won stuff at big clubs in Holland, Portugal, did very well following Poch at Southampton and I was happy enough with his first season. Since then he got Holland going again but made a mistake going to Barca when he did. Now back as the Dutch manager.

Silva was also a good up and comer who'd won stuff at Olympiakos and Watford were playing well before his head got turned.

You can't always get in an Ancelotti proven manager especially when you're bottom half.

Status
Not open for further replies.