Where/when did it go all wrong for both Liverpool teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Everton,the rot set in during the last few years of John Moore's life.

For years,he was our main benefactor who had the almost unlimited access to provide cheap finance through the Littlewoods Empire.

It's difficult to explain to fans who weren't around then just how big and powerful Littlewoods was.Someone on here described them as the 20th century version on Amazon merged with Camelot,which is probably a good portrayal.

Sadly,as John Moore's health failed and he finally passed away at age 97, no provision had been made to carry on connection with Everton.Of course the Littlewoods Empire collapsed soon after.

We ended up being bought out by a small time local businessman with no interest in the brand around the time the Premier League was being set up.The mismanagement of the club began and the debts stated piling up and we got caught up and overtaken by other clubs.

At that time,we were probably on a par at least with Arsenal and and bigger than Chelsea, Tottenham and City.

If only we had got a decent owner back then,things would have been so different .

Sitting here wondering at the moment what happened and how we find ourselves in this situation.

I'm watching both Manchester teams up there, getting the best Managers, spending the highest transfer fees on the best players (in theory) and paying them the highest wages.

I know it is around 3 decades when both teams ruled the League, but it really isn't that long ago is it?

Where did it go wrong for Liverpool football? Will we ever catch up and go past the Manchester duo any time soon?

City came 4th, United came 5th.......what's the big deal......

It does annoy me that man u are buying them selves out if trouble signing Jose and 200 million to spend

How can anyone compete with this

I remember that somewhere on the net is one of those alternative history forums and it includes a football section. One thread re-imagines history with Everton becoming the dominant English and European club in the seventies. I think it had Clough managing us at one point. What might have been, eh?

Souness for the Reds, and much thiugh i hate to say it, Harvey for us! We should have gone for a top manager when Howard left!

C'mon mate, don't make me go back and find the last 5-10 seasons tables now.

My point being that things change. Throughout the whole of Everton history there have been ups and downs. Utd spent 25 years doing sod all, City were nowhere. Everyone has bad times. Ours are down to pure bad management which is now hopefully changing........

Where did it go wrong ??Heysel and then in the boardroom.

United figured out theirs big bucks in the premier league before anyone else and took advantage of of it. Meanwhile us and Liverpool failed to properly get on the premier league cash bandwagon and ended up stuck in small stadiums with poor sponsorship's.

City just got lucky with the commonwealth games and then the takeover, they've been a nothing club for the majority of their history bar a few seasons in the late 1960's

My point being that things change. Throughout the whole of Everton history there have been ups and downs. Utd spent 25 years doing sod all, City were nowhere. Everyone has bad times. Ours are down to pure bad management which is now hopefully changing........
Yes. That's why I finished up my thought process asking if we can see it changing any time soon?

in purely football terms it was the summer we spent our money on mcdonald, mccall, nevin and cottee.

At the time we could afford and attract the best and what we bought were decent players who were a retrograde step on their predecessors.We then bought a half injured whiteside and the rest is history.

Bear in mind the premier league only kicked off four seasons later - with the right purchases we'd have been in a cracking position to establish ourselves but instead by the time it came around we were absolutely crap with only beardsley and southall anywhere near the required standard.

Well, I think you will find yourself very much in a minority in liking them doing well, even if we are winning.
Psychologically it'd affect them more if they were doing well but not well enough to touch us. If they were down in the dumps there's always the hope that you'd bounce back. Second best to us would do their heads in.

Status
Not open for further replies.