Where/when did it go all wrong for both Liverpool teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kithnou

Player Valuation: £70m
Sitting here wondering at the moment what happened and how we find ourselves in this situation.

I'm watching both Manchester teams up there, getting the best Managers, spending the highest transfer fees on the best players (in theory) and paying them the highest wages.

I know it is around 3 decades when both teams ruled the League, but it really isn't that long ago is it?

Where did it go wrong for Liverpool football? Will we ever catch up and go past the Manchester duo any time soon?

Sitting here wondering at the moment what happened and how we find ourselves in this situation.

I'm watching both Manchester teams up there, getting the best Managers, spending the highest transfer fees on the best players (in theory) and paying them the highest wages.

I know it is around 3 decades when both teams ruled the League, but it really isn't that long ago is it?

Where did it go wrong for Liverpool football? Will we ever catch up and go past the Manchester duo any time soon?

One word answer.

Heysel.

Why have both Liverpool teams gone backwards? Coincidence?

Heysel hurt us more than the RS. They aren't in that bad of a shape as us direction wise, just limping since the 90s. If there is one thing that hurt them, it was Fergie, hell bent on beating them and their records.

For us, I would say the England ban came at the worst time possible. We might have build upon our dominance but that was not to be.

Why have both Liverpool teams gone backwards? Coincidence?
Well football tends to move in cycles so obviously there was always going to be a down turn at sometime,sky tv certainly helped United become even bigger reaching more overseas viewers that coincided with them winning,add into the mix that both Merseyside clubs made wrong managerial choices,and it pretty much ends up how it is

That's so long ago mate. It just seems that both teams will forever be in the shadows of the Manchester two.

They won't.

You asked where it all went wrong.......not why it hasn't been put right.

But where it all went wrong for us was the Heysel ban.

It cost us our best ever manager and led to the break up of one of our best ever.teams.

That it hasn't been put right can be blamed on several factors.

Carter should have shown greater ambition and not taken the easy option by appointing Colin to succeed Howard.

(hindsight speaking here....like everyone else I was chuffed at Colin getting the nod but in retrospect Carter should have moved for someone to take us forward instead of trying to keep things as they were)

Then we had Peter Johnson and all that that entailed, culminating in not backing Joe over the Flo transfer when we still had a chance of making it back to the top. Instead we lost Joe and a sadly diminished Howard came back to the club.

Then we had Bill emptying his piggy bank to buy the club.......a bit like you or me buying a house but not having any money to furnish it.

That is a long litany of things which went wrong for us.

You can take your pick which one it was......but all roads lead back to Heysel.

As for that other lot, who cares why it went Pete Tong for them.....just so long as it did ;)

Every club is catchable. Barca, Real has its implode years. Milans are not doing well. Juve was relegated before for match fixing. Bayern has lost titles before.

The key to success is to have a clear and sustainable roadmap and not deviate from it. Establish a good track record of finances and spend within our mean, build the team, stadium, fanbase and marketing and revenue pipelines and keep on building. Once we have that established, we'll be rolling. Well, at least I hope we'll be anyway.

Ferguson's dynasty was some 20+ years and look how frail it is now. If you're not building, you're deteriorating. That's how things are. We'll catch them, but we can only hope every decision we make lays the groundwork for better things every time, and that doesn't always happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.