When is it acceptable to take your child the match

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a way, it's a bit like how long is a piece of string. My son was four and really enjoyed the experience; my middle daughter was seven and it was too much.

I think it boils down to how much you're willing to miss the match: I've seen grown men getting angry with their child as they've lost interested - idiots.

As soon as they can boo
20210508_093459.jpg

Took my firstborn when he was five. Top balcony seat. He cried when we scored frightened by the crowd cheering. My younger son was four as we sat in the Street End Upper stand. I persuaded the turnstile bloke that he would sit on my knee so passed him over the turnstile not paying for him. Just as well because he fell asleep only waking when we scorer. Aaaaah the eighties, great days.

Honestly don't remember how old I was when my dad started taking me. First game I remember was when I was 9, Tottenham F.A. Cup semi final when we won 4-1. Anyone remember the year..?

It's like religion. You've got to convince them from as early as possible that supporting Everton is the only way. Otherwise, they get intelligent enough to start questioning who in their right mind would support this shower of spineless wasters.

Or pray that Carlo makes us good again soon.

Me and the Mrs both season ticket holders and attend half the aways. During lockdown we have had our first child who is sadly on the waiting list for a season ticket herself ( mums actions not mine). Just talking and actually wondering when is it acceptable to start taken a child to the match ?? I was quite late into footy and only started going from around 10.
My first match was 1968 FA Cup Final v WBA, I was 6 months old!!!

A somewhat disappointing start but I don't remember the trauma of being one of the hottest favourites in years and actually losing, although I'm sure it's buried in the dark recesses of my mind

Never too you to start this journey, prep him or her early for the roller coaster!

Congratulations by the way!

I took my lad to his first game when he was 4. We had one of those backpacks that you can also sit on, with the backpack full of snacks and sweets. He loved the game, but he was more interested in what's under the tunnel? where the sprinklers go when the game is on? where do the players who get subbed go? what is the man outside doing while the game is on? and how does the man with the camera put the picture on our tele?

We predicted the scores beforehand, he guessed 3-0 and he thought he'd won cos we missed both Swansea goals with bathroom breaks. He enjoyed it and we carried on picking and choosing games for him to go to. I'd say be prepared that you might not get to watch much of the game, cos football isn't really interesting enough to hold the attention of a younger kid, but what's going on around them can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.