When is it acceptable to take your child the match

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodisonRoadSupperBarWool

Player Valuation: £6m
Me and the Mrs both season ticket holders and attend half the aways. During lockdown we have had our first child who is sadly on the waiting list for a season ticket herself ( mums actions not mine). Just talking and actually wondering when is it acceptable to start taken a child to the match ?? I was quite late into footy and only started going from around 10.

My lad was 5 the first time I took him, even then that was only cause his granddad had a heart attack the day before, so his ticket was going spare. I think it was about right though. It also depends on where you sit and who sits by you. I wouldnt take a newborn or toddler into Gwladys street, but may be easier on their ears if you sit in the Main stand etc.
Truth is, it's acceptable at whatever age you feel comfortable and only the two of you will know that.
I'd not take a child who couldn't sit and watch or was pissing every 20 minutes.

Me and the Mrs both season ticket holders and attend half the aways. During lockdown we have had our first child who is sadly on the waiting list for a season ticket herself ( mums actions not mine). Just talking and actually wondering when is it acceptable to start taken a child to the match ?? I was quite late into footy and only started going from around 10.
hello buddy we need a poll to see if children can be REAL fans.

My eldest is 6. I'd say that's the minimum age really, as long as they're interested.
I'd still be reluctant to take her as she'd probably just lose interest/do my head in.

I probably don't don't come across as a great father with these comments... But going to the footie is more valuable for me as a break away from the kids/work. With young kids it's important i think to have time set aside like that.

I will take them both the GP before it's pulled down though.

I think if they're able to watch at least 75% of a match on telly without getting bored and you're happy for them to hear some fruity language then you'll be fine. Think I was 8/9 when my dad first took me and that was about right for me.

My feeling on this sort of thing generally, not just around football, is that children really should be kept in cupboards until... probably their mid 20's I'd say.
I have no children of my own- teaching caused my aversion to having them at home AND work. However I always say of others' children that they are largely irrelevant and do not have a soul until they are old enough to buy a round.

Status
Not open for further replies.