When is it acceptable to take your child the match

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s more difficult now with not being able to queue up to pay or buy a ticket. I took my children to the matches when they reached 5. One loved it, one has no interest at all and the third isn’t really into sports, so 1/3 of the boys maintained support. I wouldn’t take my daughter to the game because of the bad language, not hers or mine obv......

Me and the Mrs both season ticket holders and attend half the aways. During lockdown we have had our first child who is sadly on the waiting list for a season ticket herself ( mums actions not mine). Just talking and actually wondering when is it acceptable to start taken a child to the match ?? I was quite late into footy and only started going from around 10.
I was born in 1967, started going the match regularly when I was 7 or 8 but my first game was towards the end of the 69/70 season me old fella ignored the rath of me ma and said I had to see that team once. So three years old, I don’t remember much but get to say I have seen the two best Everton teams. Thanks Dad.
I started taking my lads to the odd game when they were about five but they didn’t really get properly into the whole game until they were about ten.

It’s more difficult now with not being able to queue up to pay or buy a ticket. I took my children to the matches when they reached 5. One loved it, one has no interest at all and the third isn’t really into sports, so 1/3 of the boys maintained support. I wouldn’t take my daughter to the game because of the bad language, not hers or mine obv......

Wait...it was okay for your sons to hear the bad language, but not your daughter?

I knew you’d pick me up on this, but yes.....

I hear this in a Droopy Dog voice and it's killing me...lmao

s-l300.jpg

I took my lad to his first game when he was 4. We had one of those backpacks that you can also sit on, with the backpack full of snacks and sweets. He loved the game, but he was more interested in what's under the tunnel? where the sprinklers go when the game is on? where do the players who get subbed go? what is the man outside doing while the game is on? and how does the man with the camera put the picture on our tele?

We predicted the scores beforehand, he guessed 3-0 and he thought he'd won cos we missed both Swansea goals with bathroom breaks. He enjoyed it and we carried on picking and choosing games for him to go to. I'd say be prepared that you might not get to watch much of the game, cos football isn't really interesting enough to hold the attention of a younger kid, but what's going on around them can be.
Your first paragrap, my oldest son was five, he was the same, asked me a hundred questions at his first game,none of them about football, I took my younger son, with his bother, to the Altrincham fa cup game, he was five, never took his eyes off the pitch from start to finish, enchanted by being inside Goodison Park watching, not just the Blues, but football, his two older boys are Everton fanatics and the youngest will be too, it’s all in the genes, mostly forced in!!

Took mine just before his 8th birthday. Spilled tea over himself and saw us get beat. Then the pandemic hit and no more. However I'm thinking of getting him to post on the match thread as he'd fit in perfectly. "Iwobi is useless. Why can't they pass it forward. Is there no one better than Sigurdsson?" etc.

Was out in malaga at preseason and took my 2 year old then. Proud of him as he struggled up the steep steps to away end. He seemed to like the colour and noise.

Started bring him to goodison when he was 7 and got good views from main stand so he seemed to follow the match the whole way through. Daughter who was a bit younger fell asleep.

My lad will be 4 near Christmas so contemplating taking him to a Boxing Day game of at home, but I worry he’ll get bored after 10 mins and want to get on the pitch or something. Might just take him Top Balcony and tell him if he moves he’ll fall out of the stand!

Me and the Mrs both season ticket holders and attend half the aways. During lockdown we have had our first child who is sadly on the waiting list for a season ticket herself ( mums actions not mine). Just talking and actually wondering when is it acceptable to start taken a child to the match ?? I was quite late into footy and only started going from around 10.
Brought both mine to games from when they were 5. Biggest issue at that age is them being able to see the game. Be prepared to miss plenty of goals yourself as you are holding them up whenever a move looks half decent ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.