what do we lack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uknightbreed

Player Valuation: £35m
ive spent the last 20 minutes drooling at how good the squad has become. exicited at the proven quality and the youthful talent coming through.

but im thinking to myself , what do we lack that prevents us from winning a trophy this year ?

i think as it stands and we had no injurys or suspensions then the team will already do just aswell as it did last season if not slightly better(cahill vaughan arteta at full fitness for a whole season would surely add 9 points atleast to our tally).

but its obvious we will have an injury or 5.

so wheres the weakest area ?

well the midfeild looks good but it lacks depth.rodwell gosling and jags can move up to the middle of the park though if needed.

the defence is the best ive seen the club have in all my years of being an everton fan.

the strikers are a good blend.aj and yak as first choice , vaughan and anichebe as back up.is good enough.

(note* id rather fill the gaps in the squad first before improoving/replacing the playing staff we have here already)

ive also not seen anything so far that convinces me that turner or ruddy are adequate quality to back up howard if he gets injured.(although jags is also a keeper apparently !)

so we do probably need another back up keeper and another midfeilder at a minimum.

2 questions are left though...

1. do we have enough experience in the squad now we have lost gravesen stubbs and carsley?
2.if we buy new players , who should make way in the first 11 ?

ie arguably moyes first 11 being .howard neville yobo jags lescott osman cahill arteta pienaar aj yak.

if new talent is coming in , somebody is going to have to make way and isnt going to be too happy.

my answer ..forget the joaquins the arshavins and the bentlys , i think first off we do need a 30+ player with a couple of years left who has experience of winning cups.i think a paul scholes viera or gattuso type to steady the ship would do us wonders.

one thing is for sure , moyes has got the club into a great position but the hard work is just about to begin imo.

ps i hope our style of football improoves this year , id love us to play the holland way. in the euros they have looked every inch a school of science team.

We should replace the weakest players in the team but instead of getting rid keep them as squad players,over the last few years we seem to buy some one then sell some one else which in fairness has improved the team but as also done nothing for increasing the back up options.

Neville, Hibbert, Osman and Johnson are regulars that are not near to being Champions League quality players. So that is four we need to look at moving on from at some point assuming we intend to be chasing fourth place on a regular basis. All of the above could make excellent squad players, though.

We need a holding midfielder (though I'd like to see Moyes try Jags at the position this preseason now that he's settled in) and a RW.

Other than that depth and very little injuries.

We need a holding midfielder (though I'd like to see Moyes try Jags at the position this preseason now that he's settled in) and a RW.

Other than that depth and very little injuries.

No, No, No! Stop trying to play players out of position. Jags proved himeslf to be quality in the centre of defence... why then move him into a position he clearly isn't comfortable in?

We need a midfielder enforcer/destroyer who is tall and can play a bit. Someone who not only breaks up play but helps create a good tempo and has passing ability and creativity as well (Maybe Cana or someone similar). Then we need a central playmaker (Fernandes would be ideal). That would take up most of the budget... So if we go for Arshavin it would have to be instead of Fernandes, with Arteta moving inside to play in a midfield 5. Then a couple midfield squad players to make sure we dont run out of numbers. That would mean a formation of...

Howard

Neville Jags/Yobo Lescott Baines

Cana
Arshavin Arteta Peanuts

Cahill

Yakubu

That would leave Osman who we could rotate with any of the attacking midfielders and hopefully a couple of promising youngsters to bring in too, or a bosman free with experience.

Yakubu with Cahill just behind is a perfect combo and leaves Johnson, Vaughan and Big Vic as backup which is more then enough cover.

All we'd need then is a back up keeper and a backup central defender, as we have Hibbert as cover for right back and Lescott cover for left back.

So we probably need 6 signings in total...

2 world class midfielders
2 backup midfielders
1 backup keeper
1 backup centre back

Midfield is the only position where light in. Both in wide positions and centrally. People could mention strikers but we more or less have five in Johnson, Vaughan, Yakubu, Anichebe and Cahill as a second striker.

Carsley, Neville, Osman and maybe even Pienaar are the positions we can improve on. I love Osman and Pienaar, two quality players but think we can get better players in or players who are going to make them fight for there place in the team. Pace and strength definatly needs to be added to the midfield.

Neville and Carsley are the only weak links though. Carsley's gone and hopefully Neville will become a squad player next season. Don't get me wrong he's a decent right back but there are alot of better right backs out there. We need a more athletic right back in all honesty. Somone who's physically strong, quick and offers something going forward.

No, No, No! Stop trying to play players out of position. Jags proved himeslf to be quality in the centre of defence... why then move him into a position he clearly isn't comfortable in?
We need a midfielder enforcer/destroyer who is tall and can play a bit. Someone who not only breaks up play but helps create a good tempo and has passing ability and creativity as well (Maybe Cana or someone similar). Then we need a central playmaker (Fernandes would be ideal). That would take up most of the budget... So if we go for Arshavin it would have to be instead of Fernandes, with Arteta moving inside to play in a midfield 5. Then a couple midfield squad players to make sure we dont run out of numbers. That would mean a formation of...

Howard

Neville Jags/Yobo Lescott Baines

Cana
Arshavin Arteta Peanuts

Cahill

Yakubu

That would leave Osman who we could rotate with any of the attacking midfielders and hopefully a couple of promising youngsters to bring in too, or a bosman free with experience.

Yakubu with Cahill just behind is a perfect combo and leaves Johnson, Vaughan and Big Vic as backup which is more then enough cover.

All we'd need then is a back up keeper and a backup central defender, as we have Hibbert as cover for right back and Lescott cover for left back.

2 backup midfielders
1 backup keeper
1 backup centre back

I agree with that to an extent andy but EFC have got 3 world class CB's in Jags, Yobo and Lescott and you can't play 'em all but i couldn't bring myself to leave any of 'em out. If one gets injured, god forbid, there won't be a problem but if we persist with Lescott at LB then Baines won't want to bench warm for another season

I'd love to see something like this:

--------------------------Howard---------------------------

Neville----------Yobo/Jags-----------Lescott-----------Baines

Arteta----------Fernandes----------Engelaar----------Arshavin

----------------------------Cahill-----------------------------

---------------------------Yakubu----------------------------

Its a waste of time hoping we get a replacement for Neville,because for reasons beyond me Davy always wants him in the team,so in all honesty if thats the case leave him at right back as he is a disaster in mid field.

Basically, we need class competition for places in the first team squad, a sub's bench that causes trepidation amongst the opposition.We need players that will dictate games,close games down in their half instead of inviting pressure onto our back four, the last ten minutes of almost every Everton game is heart in mouth time, i'd like to see the class of player that prevents such nervous and negative mindset spreading amongst the players and fans alike.

2 backup midfielders
1 backup keeper
1 backup centre back

Cana can play CB if we have any problems ;)

NEVILLE IS A GOOD RIGHT BACK

Hibbert is a back up so thats ok, osman needs to be replaced and so does johnson. The rest are good :)

For me, I'd like to see us get:

1) One or two good midfielders
2) One striker
3) One right back

That's if they're an improvement upon what we already have.

I agree that instead of going out and getting a few more squad players for depth (which we sorely need), to go out and get a few top drawer players (provided we have that kind of money) thereby making a few of our current starting players, squad players.

Just upgrading the position. That's all.

For me, I'd like to see us get:

1) One or two good midfielders
2) One striker
3) One right back

That's if they're an improvement upon what we already have.

I agree that instead of going out and getting a few more squad players for depth (which we sorely need), to go out and get a few top drawer players (provided we have that kind of money) thereby making a few of our current starting players, squad players.

Just upgrading the position. That's all.

I agree wholeheartedly Bill, those positions shoud deffo be top priority, but i would add a right winger as well, as Arteta prefers to play inside, and even if he plays on the right we have no cover whatsoever if anything happens to him, touch wood it doesn't like

Status
Not open for further replies.