We need to talk about Kevin..

Status
Not open for further replies.
On his good days, KM is very, very good forward and better than both Kone and Nais individually or put together.
On his poor days, KM is a liability/luxury we cannot afford.
El Bob has to make the big decision before KM makes it for him - either play him or sell him.
Watching MotD last night, both Hartson and Kilbane agreed that when an in/out player gets selected, it's up to the player to make the most of his chance and give the manager that alleged nice headache.

Mo Besic did exactly that yesterday in a quite marvellous 25-minute performance.

I really don't get this, how many 'poor days' does Mirallas have in comparison with any other winger in the country? It's pretty much in their nature to have off days, it goes with the territory.

There's an obvious agenda from the manager when it comes down to this. Martinez obviously rates and trusts Kone because of that one season at Wigan, which is gutting for me because I think Mirallas is one of our best players. He practically dragged us through the first half of last year.

Unfortunately with the amount of games he (Kone) has played would show the Martinez has no intention of getting rid, Mirrallas on the other hand.......
Would prefer an attack minded set up against Man City as we need to have a 2 goal lead to take into 2nd leg and Kone isn't the answer to that. Mirrallas and Del to start would give Man City more to think about and make their attacking threat less as they would be wary of leaving space behind them for those two and Lukaku and Barkley.
Would rather Martinez showed a positive intent and lose than field a weak defensive side. We have quality defenders and Barry in front of them to cope, it's THEY that need to step up to the plate.

I really don't get this, how many 'poor days' does Mirallas have in comparison with any other winger in the country? It's pretty much in their nature to have off days, it goes with the territory.

There's an obvious agenda from the manager when it comes down to this. Martinez obviously rates and trusts Kone because of that one season at Wigan, which is gutting for me because I think Mirallas is one of our best players. He practically dragged us through the first half of last year.

The anti Kev sentiment is coming from a certain group because he and Martinez had a spat over the penalty situation

If Kev played exactly the same way and had exactly the same attitude, but Martinez loved him, you wouldn't be seeing the venomous attacks on Kev from certain people that you're already seeing

He's become collateral damage

I'll keep it out of the Mirallas performance thread though, as it isn't just specifically about him, but the left hand side of the pitch in general.

I do see the logic of playing Kone there. The idea is that his centre forward instincts mean he will drift inside and link with Lukaku in and around the box. The two problems with this of course, is that firstly, that doesn't happen very often, and secondly it leaves a gaping hole in front of the left back. A big problem when that is the inexperienced and exposed Galloway.
I'm not even going to slate Kone, as he's doing no worse there than the equally out of position Ross and Naismith when they were shoe horned out there last season.

I see the logic of playing Cleverley on the left. He's a hard working, tidy footballer, who might chip in with the odd goal. It reminds me of the days of playing Osman on the right though. He's never going to go past a full back and get in behind the defence, or give the opposition much to think about.
This just puts extra strain on Geri, when we are almost totally reliant on creating from his side of the pitch. Now if Geri is having a bad hair day, or up against a strong full back, he's likely to flounce around and be ineffectual, leaving us totally impotent.

Which leads me to Mirallas. Now some people say he's been poor this season, but what do they honestly expect from a winger who is given 4 or 5 minutes every other game?
When we started with Mirallas and Lennon against Newcastle, it was the most balanced we have looked in ages. We caused them problems all over the pitch, and in the opening half hour when they were fresh, it was possibly the best spell of football we've played in a long while.

Surely, now is the time to have Mirallas and Geri playing either side of Rom? I think this would give teams so many things to think about that even Ross will benefit greatly.

Come on Roberto, take the shackles off. Unleash hell.

.....I don't see the logic in playing Kone left side. The team have clearly considered the Stoke debacle but many times yesterday Kone was caught in no-mans land on the left hand side when Spurs had it. He might as well have stood next to Lukaku because he still wasn't picking anybody up. If somebody is to effectively play the Kone role they will have to be a superb athlete and put a major shift in.

I reckon if we played Mirallas as a conventional left winger he would not only offer more defensive protection than Kone but would also score more goals and create more assists. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

The anti Kev sentiment is coming from a certain group because he and Martinez had a spat over the penalty situation

If Kev played exactly the same way and had exactly the same attitude, but Martinez loved him, you wouldn't be seeing the venomous attacks on Kev from certain people that you're already seeing

He's become collateral damage

The sad thing is you're probably right. Don't get me wrong it's Martinez's prerogative, he's the manager and he gets the right to pick who he wants. But currently we're languishing in the bottom half and he's not utilising one of his best players.

I'd gladly back down on my argument if the team was flying and the likes of Kone were in fine form, but we're not and he's not.

Contrast Kev's behaviour with The Starfish

Kev is out of favour and is getting his head down to prove he belongs, while also showing appreciation to the supporters

T How is in the team every week regardless of form and lashes out at supporters the minute he's given some reasonable criticism

I know who I'd rather have on the playing staff...

Completely agree with this. In terms of professionalism there's a chasm of difference between Mirallas and the starfish gimp. That and Mirallas is also a good footballer who adds something of value on the pitch

Mirallas is not a winger. Kone is not a midfielder. RM shouldn't be playing either as a left midfielder in a 4-2-3-1.

RM needs to change the system or the personnel.

This is unfortunate as Mirallas and Kone could play a role in other places on the field. (4-3-3, 4-4-2)

2013/2014 he started 28 league games and had 4 sub appearances.
He scored 9 goals and contrary to the bollocks spouted about him being greedy he had 7 assists which was the most in the team.
He's a moody bish no doubt but let's stop trying to pretend he's crap
Absolutely...he's a crackin' player

Mirallas is not a winger. Kone is not a midfielder. RM shouldn't be playing either as a left midfielder in a 4-2-3-1.

RM needs to change the system or the personnel.

This is unfortunate as Mirallas and Kone could play a role in other places on the field. (4-3-3, 4-4-2)
Mirallas is a perfect (left)winger for a 4-2-3-1 with attacking fullbacks. He can cut in and give Baines space on the outside. Problem is that with Del on the other side is that it would leave three players that is not so keen on tracking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.