We have to get back to a four man defence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sill think he will change the formation in some games, i thought the formation looked ok but the lack of any real cf did not help us at all.
I think the formation yesterday was kind of forced by no striker, he could of gone 4 at the back, left out Godfrey and started a striker, but we didn't have one.
Next week will be different I'm sure

This present system of three is not us and it's not that effective, as seldom do we have five at the back when we have to transition when the ball is with the opposition. It's alien to us and it's showing. We're playing it because of personnel, not because it's a tactical strength. Lampard is frustrated we dont have the people here to go with 4 at the back and 3 in midfield and said so recently.

We conceded yesterday because the players we have just cant work the system and we end up with non-defenders bundling over the opposition to hand pens and victories to them.
Utter bollox

I think it's possible if we get Onana and Gana in because a trio of them two and Doucoure has enough legs to cover for our fullbacks and get into the final third too. Have Gana sitting and Onana/Doucoure running box-to-box would be sound. Currently we can't because we don't have the players for it.

It was a clear pen. And it exposed the confusion of defenders not knowing who they should be picking up in those situations.
Disagree mate
It was a shocking decision from the ref again. If that happens at the other end no pen. I could see it wasn’t a pen from my vantage point and was further away from the idiot ref.
Chilwell dived like most Chelsea players were doing yesterday .
Not a pen for me in a million years.

If we had a proper striker yesterday I think we'd have won.

We looked miles better than last season but faded badly in the second half without a DCL type to hit balls into. We wasted turnovers of possession by just turning back and passing to Pickford- like we did 50 times a game last season.

Gueye & Onana are coming in so Doucoure/Iwobi won't have as many defensive responsibilities moving forward. The penalty came from poor positioning from Holgate and therefore Mina not getting across quickly to cover. Doucoure then had to get back, but we all know how clumsy he is.

Did we ever look under real threat from Chelsea? I thought we looked solid, even though we had to change the defence twice through injuries.

I say we stick with it for now.
Agree with that mate. I thought we looked well organised without a focal point.
That was the problem for me.
They won from a pen that wasn’t IMO

Up against a big spending, highly rated Chelsea side I'm convinced they'd not have scored in open play if the match was still being played now. That back line was immense even without Cody.

Strikers are our real issue or lack of. With a finisher up front, just one single finisher we win that game yesterday.

We defended well on the whole yesterday! I didnt have to dive behind the sofa everytime a cross went into the box! Can see a massive improvement in our defensive shape and the way the 3 CB’s stayed close together when Chelsea had the ball. So that has clearly been worked on.
Was a 0-0 game neither team deserved a win. Clumsy, silly, needless challenge from Doucoure was the difference. Encouraging early signs considering our team will be a lot stronger in a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.