Homepage Update: Wayne Rooney transfer "agreed in principle"

Wayne Rooney - Provided he expects to be a regular starter - Keep or Sell?

• Keep

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Sell

Votes: 131 87.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never forget seeing him in Duncan's testimonial, come on and embarrass 90% of the team by just being so far head and shoulders above everyone in terms of quality and brain. This over 10 years after I watched him make a show of Radebe at Elland Road. Incredible player that kid.

....and it’s important to remember his background. I don’t mean to be unkind when I say it’s a true rags to riches story, a truly modern day version of the Beverley Hillbillies.

I remember walking out of Bellefield behind his parents and brothers after watching Wayne play, no car for them to get in they trudged off in the direction of Croxteth. I remember watching his brother, Graham, playing on the AstroTurf at Walton Hall Park when all the other kids had fancy dimple studded boots on and he had flimsy school pumps but was still easily the best player on the pitch.

The greatest thing that every happened to him off the pitch is Coleen, who has provided at least some stability. There have been lapses and incidents but Coleen is a key influence. Wayne has grown from a kid with very little to a man with everything. He’s not academically clever, but he’s bright and articulate as well as being a genius of a footballer.

Said this last year too, he needed a good, strong manager, proper tactics and a coach to succeed at Everton. He either needs to be the boss of a team , which defined one or two of his early successful years at Man U, or be properly coached as if he's a young player, as he was in later years so well by Fergie. Last year, he was given neither tactics or the responsibility of leadership.

Its because in the MLS there are playoffs, and with the number of games left, DC desperately needed a win to help their playoff hopes. Probably one of the first times ive seen it in the MLS but it makes sense from that perspective.
They're also propping up the table and before Wayne came they were adrift from the rest. Two wins and a draw in three since he's arrived has obviously helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.