"Watch Classic Matches Again"

Ah the infamous Coventry game. I was there but just watched your highlights and didn't even realise that Big Fat Sam and Stuart Pearce played. Irvine was horrendous in that game or should I say worse than the rest if that was possible.
I along with many on here was there.
Can't remember the exact crowd but I'm guessing we get about 20,000 more paying astronomical prices nowadays.

There were less than 14000 there. I know it was bit of a grim period,but I used to love watching Everton then,never bothered me that the ground would be only a quarter full and the game would inevitably be dire. I was 14,and saved every penny I could to go and watch them,I didn't care that I knew that I'd be getting slaughtered in school by reds who'd been inside Anfield on less occasions(if they'd ever been at all that is) than I had in an era when they were really dominant. I suppose I had the optimism of youth,although even that was tested by the game I remember most from that period,a painful 2-0 home defeat by Norwich on a grey November afternoon when John Bailey scored one of the daftest own goals I've ever seen(I can still picture it now,him heading the ball over big Nev who'd come racing out of the Gwladys Street goal to collect some aimless punt forward from a Norwich player). As I said earlier,you would never have guessed what was around the corner for us!

Ah the infamous Coventry game. I was there but just watched your highlights and didn't even realise that Big Fat Sam and Stuart Pearce played. Irvine was horrendous in that game or should I say worse than the rest if that was possible.
Not only was I there I watched the "highlights " on MOTD later. That was a desperate game.

Found a good channel on YouTube (1980s football heaven) our home game v Oxford Utd league cup 1984 snowy night at goodison is on there been looking for this game for years . Apologies I don't know how to put video on here

There were less than 14000 there. I know it was bit of a grim period,but I used to love watching Everton then,never bothered me that the ground would be only a quarter full and the game would inevitably be dire. I was 14,and saved every penny I could to go and watch them,I didn't care that I knew that I'd be getting slaughtered in school by reds who'd been inside Anfield on less occasions(if they'd ever been at all that is) than I had in an era when they were really dominant. I suppose I had the optimism of youth,although even that was tested by the game I remember most from that period,a painful 2-0 home defeat by Norwich on a grey November afternoon when John Bailey scored one of the daftest own goals I've ever seen(I can still picture it now,him heading the ball over big Nev who'd come racing out of the Gwladys Street goal to collect some aimless punt forward from a Norwich player). As I said earlier,you would never have guessed what was around the corner for us!

Is that the Norwich game where Big Joe Royle netted for Norwich and got applause from all corners of the ground.
I actually remember Peter Reid playing just after we signed him and thought he was total gash and made a mistake.

Edit: I was totally wrong....Peter Reid did not play for us then. The 2-0 Norwich win was 80-81 season. Age is eating away at my brain cells.

Last edited:

what a time to be alive that was. hard to see that happening again there again a couple of seasons before that i would not of imagined that team
Just checked out the official attendance at this game -- 36,000! No wonder the attendance announcement near the end of each game in this era used to draw loud laughs from supporters and no wonder that our offical average attendance for that championship winning season was only 32,000.

You make me feel old when I was a young lad young we only had the BBC teleprinter at half time and full time.......... lol
Then we had MOTD the first team on have a guess the other lot........v Arsenal I think just one game.......
ITV responded with regional football shows compiled by Brian Moore on Sundays
to think how unbiased they were in those days.......
Remember when the only live football (FA Cup Final apart) on TV consisted of 5 a side games from local sports clubs?