• No

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The game was different back then but I reckon he would still be class today, he would have evolved to suit the game, like I am sure De Gea would have probably adapted easily enough to the game of the 80's.

I think he'd get murdered in the current premier league

WTF????

He picked up the ball from a backpass and hoofed it downfield most of the time.
Same with most goalies of the era

Just telling it as it is

He played in both era's he had no problem with the back pass rule as he had good feet also.

Probably much harder for a current goalkeeper to go back to the 80's where you got far less protection, would even say it was normal to get a bit 'roughed up', than it is for an older generation keeper to convert to kicking a backpass.

Schmeichel was not as good as nev... no way... he was a class keeper and possibly the best prem keeper ... but never better than nev

I personally think Schmeichal is the best I've seen but speaking to an older Evertonian he thinks Its 1.Clemence 2.Southall 3.Schmeichal.
I Suppose its personal opinion

First time on the forum for me. I'm a proud Evertonian, exiled in Wiltshire. I make the long trip up on the South West Everton supporters club coach.

I am fascinated with our history and love the old video's in the Winslow before the game. I have seen plenty of videos of big Nev, but just keen to hear from you guys as to why you think he was the best. What were his outstanding assets/abilities as a keeper?

First time on the forum for me. I'm a proud Evertonian, exiled in Wiltshire. I make the long trip up on the South West Everton supporters club coach.

I am fascinated with our history and love the old video's in the Winslow before the game. I have seen plenty of videos of big Nev, but just keen to hear from you guys as to why you think he was the best. What were his outstanding assets/abilities as a keeper?

Your username has to be a reference to the Magic Roundabout in Swindon, yeah?

I worked near Highworth for a few years

Southall dominated the penalty area and the six yard box was an absolute no-mans land as he would flatten everyone who dared to threaten his goal... and that included his own defenders !

Neville also possessed incredible reflexes and was rarely beaten in a one-on-one as he stayed on his feet and huge... opposition forwards couldn't or really struggled to beat him.

Kevin Ratcliffe used to tell a story about when he was away on Wales duty during shooting practice Nev didn't use his hands to save the shots, just to give the strikers a chance as he was unbeatable.

Can't find any exact quotes but Giggs says something similar during this video:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-giggs-picks-greatest-wales-12203707

Not bad considering those strikers included Giggs, Saunders, Hughes and Rush.

The absolute fact that in any sane discussion about keepers, it would be impossible to arrive at any conclusion about who was better, Nev, Jennings, or Shilton, kind of answers the OP.

In my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.