• No

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just browsing through the 1995 Cup Final programme - memories! There is a full page about Nev. Couple of interesting points - Neville can spread himself so well he seems to fill the goal. The difference is that in a one-to-one situation between a goalkeeper and a striker, the striker is usually favourite. That does not apply with Neville. He is not frightened of going at people's feet and he is so quick at coming out. Neville Southall is widely recognised as one of the greatest goalkeepers ever to play the game.

Just browsing through the 1995 Cup Final programme - memories! There is a full page about Nev. Couple of interesting points - Neville can spread himself so well he seems to fill the goal. The difference is that in a one-to-one situation between a goalkeeper and a striker, the striker is usually favourite. That does not apply with Neville. He is not frightened of going at people's feet and he is so quick at coming out. Neville Southall is widely recognised as one of the greatest goalkeepers ever to play the game.
Upload it lad

In the mid 80's I was around 13 years old an attended every home game. I'd arrive in the Lower Gwladys at 2pm just to watch Neville warm up with Sharpy. I never did that for any player before or since.

That video compilation might be a little under three minutes, but anyone who watches that and still harbours doubts as to the greatness of Neville Southall quite frankly, needs their eyes testing.

Big Nev, simply the best... End of !!

The best one on one keeper by a country mile. You were not even concerned if a striker got put through, he must have scared the life out of them.

Always remember looking at him before the 1995 cup final and thinking can he still do it? the emphatic answer was yes, he probably looked like the most unlikely keeper in his later years but his agility for a big guy was remarkable.

I watched the whole game again this morning on You Tube just to critique his performance and check that his ball control was as good as I remember.

As I thought, looked really comfortable, around the 65 minute mark he saved a corner from a bad backpass, that most keepers wouldn't have been able to control. Most kicks he made landed on the head of an Everton player.

Few quick points and minutes incase anyone has the time and inclination to look it up, I won't mention the obvious saves like the ones from Scholes.

45 minutes: At the end of the first half could have been a corner or throw to Utd as Nicky Butt ran into the area (or in Howards case a certain pen) but he knew he didn't have to kick it, just pretend to, enabling it to go out for a goal kick.

80 minutes: Pallister save, this was fairly routine for Nev but a lot of keepers wouldn't have been able to hold on to the ball and would have parried it out instead of catching it. There was a line of utd players across the area ready to get a tap in if he hadn't.

82 minutes: Neuer eat your heart out as Nev comes out to clear, not just a stand on his line type.

88 minutes: A Utd shot goes out hits the hoardings and comes back to Nev who promptly and slyly punches it back over into the no man's area to waste another 15-20 seconds. It really is all in the top 2 inches.

90 minutes: A long ball comes in to the box, Nev claims it from a pile of bodies, he actually was a little bit too far in front of the ball to catch it with forward momentum, but sticks a big hand up and it rolled down into his chest.

Great memories watching it back, we will be very lucky to get another keeper who brings 85% of what Southall brought to the table.

In the mid 80's I was around 13 years old an attended every home game. I'd arrive in the Lower Gwladys at 2pm just to watch Neville warm up with Sharpy. I never did that for any player before or since.

. Had tears in my eyes watching that, pure nostalgia. What I'd give to have The big man between the sticks again. Always felt we had a chance with Nev in the team, always give his absolute all.

One of the best of all time, not just in England but in the world. Doesn't get the credit he deserves, people like shilton, seaman, woods were not even close to him.

Southall had incredible reflexes and his positional sense was second to none. He dominated his box, it was his box and our defenders knew it. If a ball was to be won with him, a striker and 2 defenders you would always see 3 people flat are on their arse and big nev standing with the ball

Legend, no other way to describe him
Brilliant!

I watched the whole game again this morning on You Tube just to critique his performance and check that his ball control was as good as I remember.

As I thought, looked really comfortable, around the 65 minute mark he saved a corner from a bad backpass, that most keepers wouldn't have been able to control. Most kicks he made landed on the head of an Everton player.

Few quick points and minutes incase anyone has the time and inclination to look it up, I won't mention the obvious saves like the ones from Scholes.

45 minutes: At the end of the first half could have been a corner or throw to Utd as Nicky Butt ran into the area (or in Howards case a certain pen) but he knew he didn't have to kick it, just pretend to, enabling it to go out for a goal kick.

80 minutes: Pallister save, this was fairly routine for Nev but a lot of keepers wouldn't have been able to hold on to the ball and would have parried it out instead of catching it. There was a line of utd players across the area ready to get a tap in if he hadn't.

82 minutes: Neuer eat your heart out as Nev comes out to clear, not just a stand on his line type.

88 minutes: A Utd shot goes out hits the hoardings and comes back to Nev who promptly and slyly punches it back over into the no man's area to waste another 15-20 seconds. It really is all in the top 2 inches.

90 minutes: A long ball comes in to the box, Nev claims it from a pile of bodies, he actually was a little bit too far in front of the ball to catch it with forward momentum, but sticks a big hand up and it rolled down into his chest.

Great memories watching it back, we will be very lucky to get another keeper who brings 85% of what Southall brought to the table.
Great piece,typed with passion and love for the big man, fess up Nev

Status
Not open for further replies.