Was Marcel Brands a good choice for DOF? POLL

Has Marcel Brands been a good choice as DOF?

• Yes he's been a success. Glad he's with us.

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • No he's been a failure. I wish we'd gone for someone else.

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • Jury's still out.

Votes: 156 55.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury is definitely still out for me. I like the guy and he is definitely going to need a lot more than 2 years to sort the mess of Everton out tbf but i simply cannot ignore the fact that we dont seem have gone anywhere either and are still carrying absolute tossers. Yes we have a boss Manager and a couple of boss players but the team is still mostly made up of overpaid under achieving people that couldn't really give a toss about Everton and it is a challenge just to get behind some of them and we are continuously in an infinite loop of just well meh, yeah whatever.

Ask me again in another couple of years i guess. Hopefully the rebuild will be a lot further on and who knows, i might even get excited by the prospect of following Everton again by then. :)

Summed up nicely davek.

When you get to a certain age you can understand but get tired of excuses. You have witnessed dozens of examples of success, failure, mediocrity with a bit of fortune or miss fortune thrown in.

What worries me (in other more important areas of life and from other people) is that when failure stares you right between the eyes in facts (where you are the league/performances in the Cup in this case) people still think it is a success or non-failure.

When you have prominent Evertonians at the AGM calling for him to step down off the board I think you know the answer.

I think he's been a failure overall and think his signings are largely average outside of Richarlison and Digne compared to those who the likes of Wolves and Leicester have brought in around us.

Obviously he'll get this summer alteast but I hope if he signs more rubbish then the owner looks at his position and doesnt give him some sort of job for life.

Im a believer myself that the DOF should be held responsible for the signings as much as the manager over the performances/results therefore for me he shouldnt be sat on the board - he should have to answer to the board as the manager does.

In 2 seasons he's spent around £200 million - when you look at how many of his signings were in the team against the likes of Utd and Chelsea it tells you Ancelotti does not rate his dealings.

Prominent Evertonian? What makes him more qualified to comment on the job Brands is doing than anyone else?

Tom Cannon was all for the move to Kirkby by the way so let's not hold him up as some fanbase idol. The support (or lack thereof) he received at the AGM for that embarrassing motion he put forward speaks for itself.

Marcel Brands came into a club in a complete mess. He is still working his way through that mess with the added pressure of results on the pitch being expected immediately and an expectant fanbase and owner.

You simply cannot judge a five year job on year two.

Last edited:
It is a firm yes from me ,for the dross alone he has moved .We must remember that the squad has to be balanced ,numbers in and out .I said last summer that DCL would come good and my prediction for this summer the same for Marcel the man .

Prominent Evertonian? What makes him more qualified to comment on the job Brands is doing than anyone else?

Tom Cannon was all for the move to Kirkby by the way so let's not hold him up as some fanbase idol. The support (or lack thereof) he received at the AGM for that embarrassing motion he put forward speaks for itself.

Marcel Brands came into a club in a complete mess. He is still working his way through that mess with the added pressure of results on the pitch being expected immediately and an expectant fanbase and owner.

You simply cannot judge a five year job on year two.
One Evertonian had a good go at Brands, out for publicity for himself in my opinion. When it came to the vote only one man had his hand up for Brands to go, Tom Cannons. Everton have been in a mess for years and it will take more than two tears to sort it out. No he hasn’t proved himself yet, give him time though and let’s see where he takes us, and delay in football and the problems this virus has caused will not help him although applies to football all over the world.

Reactions: Tez
I think this group of players just need time and they will come good. Too many changes, we just need stability. It would have been better to get Brands in before transfer fees went through the roof.

I think his transfers are probably 50/50 so far so I voted Jury is still out.

Delph has been poor but I can understand why he went for him. We needed a leader but his "leadership" style is counterproductive. I suppose we have relied on him more than we anticipated with Gomes and Gbamin missing most of the season.

Iwobi is looking like a panic buy that we could have done without, but may still do a job.

Gomes has quality for all to see but consistency is a big problem.

Jury is out on Kean, he seems immature but the performance against Newcastle was promising. Happy to take our t time with him.

Richarlison, best signing by a mile, what more do you want in a player. Build a team around him ASAP

Digne was terrific first season but personally think he has been poor this season. Hoping Carlo can get his form back.

Bernard is a tidy little player but I think he's going to become more a squad player as we add a few this summer. Not quick or strong enough. Nor has the stamina. First touch is unreal though.

Sidibe is an atrocity, maybe wingback is his position.

Jury is out on Mina, I like him and think a mobile player next to him can let him play his game were he can bring the ball out of the defence knowing he was a speedy defender to cover him.

I'm hoping we see the best of Brands in the next season or two when we shift the crap and he can concentrate more on quality players and the odd bargain instead of spending a lot of time trying to offload duds.

tbh the question is now moot as Marcel Brands RIBA has now been overtaken by events. DoF is just a sinecure whilst Don Carlo is around.

He did a respectable job though IMHO. Steadied a ship that was wildly abeam in stormy seas - inherited an obese, mediocre squad and was methodically paring it down and adding quality. Very big task and if you could move 1 or 2 signings from the negative to the positive side of the ledger you'd take the hat off to him doing a great job. Too many failed / unconvincing signings though in aggregate, so overall a positive but mixed legacy.

Solid 1st season.
Terrible 2nd*

*this season is void for me

Jury is out. If the club can rectify the mistakes of the previous Summer, then they will improve. Holgate, DCL and Richarlison, is a solid young base to build from. Hopefully Gomes is fully recovered too.

One Evertonian had a good go at Brands, out for publicity for himself in my opinion. When it came to the vote only one man had his hand up for Brands to go, Tom Cannons. Everton have been in a mess for years and it will take more than two tears to sort it out. No he hasn’t proved himself yet, give him time though and let’s see where he takes us, and delay in football and the problems this virus has caused will not help him although applies to football all over the world.
Where was Bobby Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.