Was Dunc right for hooking Kean?

Was Dunc right to hook Kean?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing about "if he wasn't fit why put him on in the first place", doubt Ferguson knew his level of fitness would be as bad as it was when he put him on. At least he has the foresight and self awareness to accept it was a mistake, take him off and gain a valuable point in the process.

I hope he lays the gauntlet down to Kean now and show him what is needed and if he does what he wants there is a way back. I don't want to see him completely bombed from the team.

Lessons for both manager and player in this, I think.

This is literally the second game of football that Ferguson has ever managed. Perhaps, with the perspective of one of his 2am bathtimes he might think that the call he made with the adrenaline flowing was a bit harsh, maybe calling the kid over and asking "Are you injured? Because if not I need you working just as hard as everybody else, you're our fresh legs to finish this game strong". Maybe he reflects and realizes he was right. Either way, he's going to have to explain it to the player today. Nothing wrong with telling him "You weren't up to what I expected so I took you off. Maybe I was wrong, but we're both learning the hard way here", then lay out what's expected.

Kean can either sulk, or he can recognize that the Premier league is a lot quicker than Serie A and that he needs to be working harder to take the chances when they come.

If Ferguson thought bringing Kean off was the right decision, then he was right to do so at that moment in the game. A manager must make each player feel he is vital and special, but, at the same time, know with utter clarity that the only things that matter are the team and the result. How it all pans out, only time will tell. I watched MOTD last night and found myself agreeing with Jenas and Richards, but, if Ferguson had tried to console Kean and the player had reacted badly, then we'd be looking at a mush more unseemly spectacle and the debate around it would be longer and louder. If Ferguson thinks Kean can be effective for Everton, then he has to use his man-management skills now, behind closed doors. And if Kean has the right stuff, he'll have to show it on the pitch next time the chance arises, whether he remains furious with Ferguson or understands his decision.

Im sure Im right here but didnt Howard Kendall do the same? Someone like Kevin Langley was sent on as a sub and dragged off 5 minutes later for not following instructions.

We have to trust the manager. It's a high pressure situation with the game finely poised. The same manager who has gotten these players playing at a decent level and competing with top 6 clubs the past 2 games, when they were clueless and useless for most of the other games this season.

Games are won or lost/goals conceded in a few moments. We saw that when Iwobi made a stray pass against Spurs and Davies against Leicester, etc. If Kean stays on the pitch and loses the ball or doesn't pull his weight, and we lose the game, then Ferguson gets slaughtered for not managing the game or making a tactical change. You just can't win with some people.

I want Kean to succeed but if he isn't up to the required standard yet, then the coaching staff need to manage the player accordingly. The player himself also needs to decide whether or not he really wants to be at the club and then commit and apply himself to making it a successful chapter in his career.

At the time of the sub, excluding any other considerations, who would you have said were our players most likely to make a mistake that lead to conceding an injury time goal be it a poor pass/not tracking back/stupid tackle/brain fart? I’d have had the shortlist as Kean, Iwobi (through tiredness) and Pickford. Davies would have been on the list earlier in the game but he’d calmed down considerably.
You may be right.
He wanted to keep playing 4-4-2 which I like but he can change to 4-5-1, put Richarlison and DCL out wide and played Kean up front by himself.

So many ifs and buts anyway.
:)

If this was niasse there would be hardly any comment, just a few laughs. The difference between the two though is that niasse is a model pro and can actually score the odd goal in the premier league.
I don’t think anyone labels this guy as a future star apart from Everton fans. Juve sold for a reason. The lad has been jo like poor but without the goal. I also get the impression he’s not very well liked. Can’t think of anyone mentioning him in an interview (players I mean) or photographed with him...just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.