Was Dunc right for hooking Kean?

Was Dunc right to hook Kean?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferguson was perceived to have needlessly humiliated the young striker, especially after not even acknowledging him as he walked off the pitch, but on the Totally Football Show this week Michael Cox said Ferguson might have been right to make what looked like a harsh decision.

“I was speaking to someone who was there and he was saying Ferguson was constantly shouting at Kean to do something, and Kean was just ignoring his instructions and drifting into different positions,” he said.

View attachment 74066

Touched the ball 9 times
Lost the ball 6 times
Won none of his five duels
If true, Duncan is justified. You don’t ignore the head coach and expect to get away with it. I’ll give Kean the benefit of a doubt and say he was confused. Still, I can appreciate the statement Dunc made. We all saw what happened on the pitch.

It looks like it was much more an issue of correct positioning than lack of work-rate or conditioning.Maybe the occasion got to him and he reverted to type as a player who mostly plays centrally? Or perhaps playing for Juventus and Italy he's more used to being on the front foot looking for the goal rather than tracking runners as his side looks to see out a tough away fixture. Either way, hope that he uses this to spur himself on rather than sulks.

It looks like it was much more an issue of correct positioning than lack of work-rate or conditioning.Maybe the occasion got to him and he reverted to type as a player who mostly plays centrally? Or perhaps playing for Juventus and Italy he's more used to being on the front foot looking for the goal rather than tracking runners as his side looks to see out a tough away fixture. Either way, hope that he uses this to spur himself on rather than sulks.
In my opinion it's this. To start he was on the right which mind you is not his best position (AND I don't believe we have never played him in his best position; someone can check me on this) and he was probably confused from the jump. I would imagine there are a certain amount of nerves that go into stepping onto the pitch at Old Trafford, a stadium known by anyone who cares about football. That combined with being given instructions in English it was probably just a confusing, stressful experience and he is a teenager after all.

In my opinion it's this. To start he was on the right which mind you is not his best position (AND I don't believe we have never played him in his best position; someone can check me on this) and he was probably confused from the jump. I would imagine there are a certain amount of nerves that go into stepping onto the pitch at Old Trafford, a stadium known by anyone who cares about football. That combined with being given instructions in English it was probably just a confusing, stressful experience and he is a teenager after all.
I don't think it was nerves, I don't think it was confusion, I think it was a talented young lad who believes his own publicity and won't be told by anyone how to play or that he should sacrifice his own game for that of the team... a harsh lesson for him but a necessary one.

Right to hook him, all thoughts now considered.

Massively wrong not to put his arm round him as he left the pitch. Some of you may think that's soft or Klopp-like, fair enough, but he's 18/19. Try and remember when you were that age.

Pretty sure when he first went on he was sprinting across to the far left side to replace Bernard like for like. Richy stops him, says something and appears to decide he is going out wide instead and directs kean to a central position. Not seeing that as being Kean's issue. That said he looked unfit almost immediately after a couple of sprints and attempted challenges. On balance probably just about right to hook him with an away point finely balanced and less then 5 mins left. The lack of any outstretched arm was uncomfortable to watch but.

Right to hook him, all thoughts now considered.

Massively wrong not to put his arm round him as he left the pitch. Some of you may think that's soft or Klopp-like, fair enough, but he's 18/19. Try and remember when you were that age.
Yeah, it is the blanking that was especially harsh but with both of them high on emotion the standard hug might not have even gone well - for instance Moise throwing off the arm and then Dunc yelling at him.

We can only hope that with cooler heads the relationship has been patched up.

Status
Not open for further replies.