Was Dunc right for hooking Kean?

Was Dunc right to hook Kean?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that if he's shattered or not listening or doesn't get it - it's not good - but unfortunately it's also only the management who can fix it or take responsibility. They have to find that one thing that motivates him, or that one translator or communication style or something that gets him going. We can't give up on him because he has got potential. Silva seemed to be doing the traditional thing of letting him settle down and get used to it, and maybe start using him more at Xmas and new year. Brands did that big gesture to his mum when he came over. Everyone needs TLC and he's only 19 - I hope he's l;ooked after

Depends, we dont know what hes like behind closed doors...

Could have been told many times what to do and ignored advice...

Could need the reality check.

I don't remember Howard Kendall getting flack when he did the same to Neil Adams, which was at not only Wembley but also his first game for the club. He went on to play 12 (10 as a starter) games for that Championship winning side, and if not for injuries would have played more. So if Kean has the right attitude (which sadly i doubt) then maybe it's just the kick up the arse he needs.

He took off a midfielder who was gassed coming back from a spell out, moved Richarlison wide and brought on a young striker to defend from the front with energy.

It was totally the correct call - the issue was Kean didn't do what was asked of him, so he brought on Niasse.

Of course, you've took your position so you will constantly and irrationally now look for reasons to bash Ferguson, so I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond.
Gassed my arse.

The decision to make was take off a forward and put on the only defender he brought.

We hauled our £27m, 19-year-old highly rated striker who has so far struggled to adapt to the league but has shown no inclination that he is unhappy at the club off for the sake of four minutes of Oumar Niasse, after he'd been on the pitch for 18 minutes.

That is what happened. You can dress it up all you like. And that isn't good.

I thought it was a brave move and a good one. Putting a fresh striker on to give the United back four and midfield someone new to worry about and perhaps pin a couple of their players back. If nothing else get someone snapping at their heels and pressing them further upfield.
A "correct" decision he corrected ten minutes later.

Ok.

He clearly wasn’t following instructions so he hooked him. Sends a message to other players do what I say or you won’t be playing. Managers need to have a ruthless streak. Kendall was nice but he was ruthless when he needed.

We hauled our £27m, 19-year-old highly rated striker who has so far struggled to adapt to the league but has shown no inclination that he is unhappy at the club off for the sake of four minutes of Oumar Niasse, after he'd been on the pitch for 18 minutes.

To be fair he hasn't shown any inclination to turn up for meetings on time or score goals either, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

He took off a midfielder who was gassed coming back from a spell out, moved Richarlison wide and brought on a young striker to defend from the front with energy.

It was totally the correct call - the issue was Kean didn't do what was asked of him, so he brought on Niasse.

Of course, you've took your position so you will constantly and irrationally now look for reasons to bash Ferguson, so I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond.

Agree that the initial change was a good one but Kean didn't actually play up front. At first he did, then he was moved to the right, with Iwobi moving infield.

Then he found himself on the left, with Iwobi on the right and Richarlison central.

When Niasse came on, he was put up front and Dom was moved wide right.

Could that not have just been done with Kean? Play him solely up top and move Dom wide in the closing stages as is what happened anyway?

I don't think you (or Dunc) are wrong in saying Kean struggled to get to the pace of things. But there's better ways to handle it than what happened.

wrong dave, decision was correct. He took off a returning Bernard, who had run his legs off and was struggling with the pace, moved to Richarlison to the left to continue with his battling attitude and supporting of Baines

Kean was brought on for his pace and directness to cause Utd trouble on the counterattack

basic football that the majority can understand. I say majority and not all, because there is you

happy Monday Blue

DUNCAN
DUNCAN FERGUSON
DUNCAN
DUNCAN FERGUSON
Propaganda.

In what world is replacing a MF with Kean...and then replacing Kean with Niasse..."correct"?

Lol.

Agree that the initial change was a good one but Kean didn't actually play up front. At first he did, then he was moved to the right, with Iwobi moving infield.

Then he found himself on the left, with Iwobi on the right and Richarlison central.

When Niasse came on, he was put up front and Dom was moved wide right.

Could that not have just been done with Kean? Play him solely up top and move Dom wide in the closing stages as is what happened anyway?

I don't think you (or Dunc) are wrong in saying Kean struggled to get to the pace of things. But there's better ways to handle it than what happened.

There's no need to leave on an ineffective player in a competitive game. There was no better way of handling it - he wasn't putting a shift in and jeopardising the result.

To be fair he hasn't shown any inclination to turn up for meetings on time or score goals either, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

He was late for a meeting. You're a better posting than stereotyping the whole thing!

And well he's not exactly been given tons of chances to score goals has he. In fact, when he has played, he's looked dangerous. Should have scored in the derby but yesterday he didn't get a chance near goal.

Final 4 minutes away at United when it's 1-1 and you're under the cosh are actually quite important mate. It's not like we were home and dry. You can dress it up all you like but Ferguson did what he felt he needed to do to see out the game.

There's no need to leave on an ineffective player in a competitive game. There was no better way of handling it - he wasn't putting a shift in and jeopardising the result.

But he was putting a shift in. He ran 2.09 km in 18 minutes, and sprinted 6 times. Only three of our players - Dom, Coleman and Rich - managed more sprints in the entire game.

He looked shattered. That's obviously a worry. But he's looked languid whenever he's come on the pitch tbh. And that goes back to the intensity required of being a sub in Serie A compared to the PL is massively different.

But the 'not putting in a shift' argument falls down. He did. The quality is obviously fine to call into question. But I find it utterly baffling that people are defending Ferguson for the way it happened.

If it had been Silva, there'd have been people calling for a public flogging, mate.

Look, I'm chuffed for Dunc. He's brought back that passion and energy. But there's nothing wrong with saying it was a bad call the way that it played out. Because it was.

He was late for a meeting. You're a better posting than stereotyping the whole thing!

And well he's not exactly been given tons of chances to score goals has he. In fact, when he has played, he's looked dangerous. Should have scored in the derby but yesterday he didn't get a chance near goal.
I'm not stereotyping anything. In 4 months at the club he's been late for 2 meetings, liked a social media post abusing his manager, been hauled off the pitch for what most people assume was lack of effort, and contributed a grand total of nothing on the pitch. If you think that warrants treating him with kid gloves and giving him the benefit of the doubt then fine, but I don't.

I don't remember Howard Kendall getting flack when he did the same to Neil Adams, which was at not only Wembley but also his first game for the club. He went on to play 12 (10 as a starter) games for that Championship winning side, and if not for injuries would have played more. So if Kean has the right attitude (which sadly i doubt) then maybe it's just the kick up the arse he needs.
You answered your own question mate: it was HK...an aknowledged genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.