2022/23 Vitalii Mykolenko

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many players have had the beating of Mykolenko?

…ffs, Zat, I don’t keep a record of players who’ve gone past him but there’s plenty. When he arrived he often stood face on to his opponent and rooted to the ground. As a result, he usually dangled out a leg and brought the player down. I think he’s been steady since those first few months, but that’s what he is - steady.

i watched Sessignon for Spurs yesterday, he offered so much at both ends of the pitch. We don’t get that. I like Mykolenko lots & he’s definitely improved but I’m not convinced by his quality at either end of the pitch, he’s just ok.

Premier League player stats for the season suggest otherwise:

Tackles - Mykolneko has made more than Digne
Clearances - Mykolonko has made more than Digne
Headed Clearances - Mykolenko has made more than Digne
Blocks - Mykolenko has made the same amount as Digne

BA114CBA-2276-40FD-8E78-46582716C082.jpeg

51C02E72-5254-4FB3-9EAC-B5CC3BDF6668.jpeg

….from the Patterson thread :bye:

…ffs, Zat, I don’t keep a record of players who’ve gone past him but there’s plenty. When he arrived he often stood face on to his opponent and rooted to the ground. As a result, he usually dangled out a leg and brought the player down. I think he’s been steady since those first few months, but that’s what he is - steady.

i watched Sessignon for Spurs yesterday, he offered so much at both ends of the pitch. We don’t get that. I like Mykolenko lots & he’s definitely improved but I’m not convinced by his quality at either end of the pitch, he’s just ok.

That’s literally Digne defending.

Yes sessignon offered a lot more because he was playing in a 5 at the back so gave him licence to get forward. Myko has been a rock and has been a part of the great defence. In a 4 his priority is to defend not attack and he does it well

Personally loving the slow- burn off this lads improvement...

1 he's committed.
2. He has all the right intentions, wants to get forward ( remember his goal that helped us end of last season ) and he's usually in position
3. He's young
4. Impossible to understand his focus with the Ukraine situation deepening

He's not deadly yet like TTA was, or Concelao showed, but he's also not dead either. Which might be something hes confronted by daily. Let's show him some love.

For me he has the traits of a Moyes player, a defence I've missed watching for 10 years.

That doesn't necessarily tell us a lot out of context. If teams are attacking Myko and attacking Villa down the opposite flank, you're going to see that result.

I would say that Digne can be up and down defensively, and may be in not so hot of a stretch.
It's a snapshot. But the point I'd make though is that Digne is being inflated in these conversations. The truth of the matter is that he hasn't been all that for two seasons or more.

I thought he was poor for quite a while before we got rid

The fact he was against Benitez meant people felt the need to make him better than he actually was. I hate Benitez more than probably most on here, but I’m not about to rewrite Digne’s time here because of him. He had a very good first season, and a very good first quarter of Ancelotti’s full season, outside of that he was an average Premier League full back who could go from being brilliant to utterly awful in the space of a week. People thought he was going to Chelsea or Man City and he went to Aston Villa, I think that says more than anything about the differences between our fans’ perceptions vs the reality of what some players actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.