Unai Emery

Status
Not open for further replies.
He finished 5th (a point from 4th) and a Europa League final last season.

They were about 7th or 8th when he got the sack. A rocky patch in form that the fans got worried about and got on his back.

Probably he's a bit too much like Wenger of the past few years in terms of style. But that's why they got him in. He's certainly wasn't doing any worse at Wenger for the past few years.

But I don't know what their fans want. Cos challenging for the title isn't gonna happen for a while regardless of who they get in
This just isn't true.

He had Arsenal playing turgid football and they weren't even fun to watch any more. It's not like they were losing games 4-3 up and down the pitch. It was kind of like when we were having 60% possession with Martinez but doing nothing with it. I have a lot of mates who are Arsenal fans and they couldn't wait to see the back of him. Getting outshot at home by bottom feeders.

As others have said, I thought Emery was a good hire for Arsenal at first and I'd have loved him here. After this season with his struggles with a side like Arsenal with the talent they have, I'm not so sure he'd be a good fit for our Everton.

As for 7th or 8th when he got the sack, that's a bit disingenuous. 7th through 17th is so congested.

He was the manager I wanted after the gravy guzzler, but having seen whats happened at Arsenal, I think we dodged a bullet.
You can’t believe his fall from grace. Did an excellent job at Sevilla won 3 Europa league, challenged real and barca. Can’t comment on his job at PSG as even I’d win the league managing that lot. However his failure to address the defensive issues at Arsenal is alarming, even though everyone bar him and wenger could see that.

Bottle Saturday. 2 days he had. We all saw it.

Will have a week before the United game. Fed up with this modern "philosophies" bollox. I havnt watched back every single Everton winning match, but I do know what a winning EVERTON performance looks like.

And its boss. Like Saturday.

He finished 5th (a point from 4th) and a Europa League final last season.

They were about 7th or 8th when he got the sack. A rocky patch in form that the fans got worried about and got on his back.

Probably he's a bit too much like Wenger of the past few years in terms of style. But that's why they got him in. He's certainly wasn't doing any worse at Wenger for the past few years.

But I don't know what their fans want. Cos challenging for the title isn't gonna happen for a while regardless of who they get in

They were soft as butter away from home. Like all the teams he has managed. When people reel off what hes won it includes domestic trophies in france with PSG. Its not as impressive when you break it down.
I wouldnt even dare challenge the europa league wins. 3 on the bounce is brilliant. But they were nothing great in la liga away from home again. One season an entire full season with 0 wins away. Thats my issue with him. So unless he turns Goodison into a fortress. His teams are always mentally weak away.

Key difference for me is that he's enjoyed success in a genuine top league, and has a great pedigree in the European competition that Everton could realistically qualify for in the coming years.

Massive reservations over the fact that he had the worst centre-backs in the division performing elaborate passing routines, as well as his failure to bullet the worst midfielder in the league in Xhaka (yes, even worse than Scheiderlin), who he also allowed to be voted captain.
He also failed to get top four in Spain with Sevilla, and managed to lose the league with PSG!

If we are to appoint someone like Emery then I'd prefer it was done in the summer when he has time to build a squad. Im not sure he'd be right man in a prolonged relegation battle.

Ha far from it. But that's because he has had a litany of disappointment after Manchester United. Emery still has a bit of good credit to play with.
I dunno losing the French league with PSG and ruining Arsenal do not scream success to me. He did well in the Europa, but never finished top four in La Liga. And at least Moyes has a successful couple of relegations scrapes behind him since leaving Man Utd

This just isn't true.

He had Arsenal playing turgid football and they weren't even fun to watch any more. It's not like they were losing games 4-3 up and down the pitch. It was kind of like when we were having 60% possession with Martinez but doing nothing with it. I have a lot of mates who are Arsenal fans and they couldn't wait to see the back of him. Getting outshot at home by bottom feeders.

As others have said, I thought Emery was a good hire for Arsenal at first and I'd have loved him here. After this season with his struggles with a side like Arsenal with the talent they have, I'm not so sure he'd be a good fit for our Everton.

As for 7th or 8th when he got the sack, that's a bit disingenuous. 7th through 17th is so congested.

Again, a bad drop in form. But the speed of which the fans turned (booing their own captain for one) just meant he lost his grip.

And as for talent...they've got 2 exceptional strikers. Everyone else is barely okay who you wouldn't think most clubs would bite your hand off for.

Having said that, he's not bought well and his handling of Ozil was weird.

They were soft as butter away from home. Like all the teams he has managed. When people reel off what hes won it includes domestic trophies in france with PSG. Its not as impressive when you break it down.
I wouldnt even dare challenge the europa league wins. 3 on the bounce is brilliant. But they were nothing great in la liga away from home again. One season an entire full season with 0 wins away. Thats my issue with him. So unless he turns Goodison into a fortress. His teams are always mentally weak away.

You do have a point.

You can’t believe his fall from grace. Did an excellent job at Sevilla won 3 Europa league, challenged real and barca. Can’t comment on his job at PSG as even I’d win the league managing that lot. However his failure to address the defensive issues at Arsenal is alarming, even though everyone bar him and wenger could see that.
When did he challenge Real and Barcelona when finished 5th, 5th and 7th with Sevilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.