Trevor Steven on talkSPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reidy said the same, there's no hiding place at Goodison but one thing we will get behind is 100% effort, if it's quiet and dead that is on the players, we are an easy to please crowd, just start fast and the crowd is there, look like we are just passing it around the back with zero shots on target and obviously it's going to be rubbish atmosphere.

A point martinez,coleman and marco silva never understood. 3 arms folded managers who failed to understand the intensity needed for home matches with a full goodison.

Wrong modal verb there: it would have got nasty. Let's not forget when Morgan was booed before he had even came onto the pitch.
Would've gone all Gwladys St / West / Keflavik, Vee signs being hurled in both directions...tbh, he hadn't had the best of months and his bottle had gone.
Strange how things go in circles

I think a lot of us now feel better when teams score against us knowing that we are likely to kick on and not fold, that will help in future.

Pickford making clangers is a different thing though, you can support your player if he makes a mistake or two. Nearly every game though has caused the patience and nerves to go. Unless he transforms into something else by the time fans are allowed back it's best he goes.

Steven is a little on the sensitive side though. He is also on the record saying what a hard task master Kendall was. I'm not sure about that I do remember him writing a book with the appalling Gary Stevens, who laid into the fans outrageously once he'd got his move to Rangers.

Reidy said the same, there's no hiding place at Goodison but one thing we will get behind is 100% effort, if it's quiet and dead that is on the players, we are an easy to please crowd, just start fast and the crowd is there, look like we are just passing it around the back with zero shots on target and obviously it's going to be rubbish atmosphere.
That's exactly what it got like mate under Martinez. Frustratingly boring , pointless , possession football. Crushed everyone's spirit.
Trevor is bang on really.

We haven't had the players to cope with the expectations of one England's greatest clubs and its fans. A succession of managers (Martinez excepted) also didn't understand it. This manager does, and for the first time since possibly the beginning of the 87-88 season we have a first eleven that have the ability to match our status. 30 odd years of fans getting used to dross and expecting far more won't change overnight, however this break might be what was needed. I guarantee that if we went back now the bed wetters and worriers would be well outnumbered by folk who can see the positive development and change and so consequently the players would get more time if things weren't quite going to plan. I'm much more relaxed watching them. I re watched the excellent film about Howards time in charge and how he slowly ended 15 years of losing and I see the same things happening now. I then thought that its now or never, the young generation must see us do something before we move out of Goodison. One last hurrah at our old home would be amazing. Imagine just imagine.

Schneiderlin fully deserved his booing. Utter fraud.
Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but I still can't even compute the logic behind this. Admittedly, I've never really been one to boo, but before he's came on?

Are we expecting him to perform after that? Do we think it's going to inspire the other players? The stick isn't always the way; sometimes you need a carrot.

That's not excusing his earlier performances and what not, however I simply feel that event was too counter-productive and probably did long-term damage.

It's striking a balance and perhaps we simply haven't had the right mix over the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.