Trevor Steven on talkSPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans will be let back in the ground in April. For the first home game back, Pickford will fluff his first clearance and anger the fans. Suddenly James will turn into Niclas Alexandersson and Dom will do a Jelavic. We'll blow a 7 point lead and the fans reactions will be replayed as often as Gerrard's slip.

Hopefully tomorrow Kevin Ratcliffe will be on with a more positive slant.

If he comes back for a half time wave again like he did last season then I for one am gonna boo him... Even if he was boss and glided over a pitch for us
a terrific player no doubt. But what he has said there is deeply insulting to the club. I thought I went a bit easy on him, just calling him sensitive. Wait until our red friends see that quote, it will be taken up with jubilation.

At the end of the day, Trev is one of our greatest and most decorated players and so his perspective on this should be treated as gospel.

I think we can be our own worst enemy at times and certain players we have bought over the last few years simply do not seem to be motivated by the fear of being lambasted by sections of the crowd if they make a mistake - it seems to have the opposite impact.

All down to individual personalities of course, but the likes of Nev, Ven Den Hauwe, Ratcliffe, Reidy Gray and Sharp were all types of people who would respond and try to go over and above to rectify a mistake. For years now we have had players who just go missing if the going gets tough and they simply don't have the correct mentality to deal with the Goodison crowd if things aren't going well.

The team are clearly playing without fear at the moment and long may it continue. Be interesting how Hamez reacts to any stick if he misses a pass, tackle or easy chance, because it will come....

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but I still can't even compute the logic behind this. Admittedly, I've never really been one to boo, but before he's came on?

Are we expecting him to perform after that? Do we think it's going to inspire the other players? The stick isn't always the way; sometimes you need a carrot.

That's not excusing his earlier performances and what not, however I simply feel that event was too counter-productive and probably did long-term damage.

It's striking a balance and perhaps we simply haven't had the right mix over the past few years.

Schneiderlin had more than enough carrot. The fans gave him so many chances. A fantastic reception when he arrived, patient with him after the whole expulsion from training with Mirallas, but it was evident that he didn’t care about performing he just wanted to pick up a wage. A terrible player who deserved to be booed. He should have had his contract ripped up.

Interesting little interview this morning on talkSPORT. Steven was being asked what he believes are the secrets behind Everton’s great start.

He said that clearly Ancelotti has got a good team which have bought in to his ideas, but perhaps the lack of fans at Goodison has played a part. He recalled his playing days here and said that the crowd are great, but if things aren’t going well then they can almost become a hinderence.
The last line is spot on, our support is poor, it really is, the numbers are good, but the support shown to the team when needed is terrible.
I just pray no fans get in this season.

Having been going to Goodison since 1984 I'd say Steven is bang on. It really can be a nasty place and the heckling towards our own can be fierce. Sometimes I cringe at the things that are getting shouted at our players when things aren't going well.
I've been going since 84 too, remember how even when we were up against it VS Bayern we turned it around, might of been Andy Gray who said afterwards the crowd behind the goal sucked the ball in? Not a chance we win games like that with our modern crowds.

I get the impression that after they equalised yesterday we would have encouraged the team from the kick off because there is a different vibe around the place this season and without even being there, you can feel the positive vibe. The doom and gloom and a quiet goodison would be a thing of the past under the current circumstances.
Its not though, just look on here, Davies got 4 pages of anger he was playing before we even kicked off, some took it for granted him and Siggy would lose us the game, we havent lost this season but most talk is about Pickford....etc

Interesting little interview this morning on talkSPORT. Steven was being asked what he believes are the secrets behind Everton’s great start.

He said that clearly Ancelotti has got a good team which have bought in to his ideas, but perhaps the lack of fans at Goodison has played a part. He recalled his playing days here and said that the crowd are great, but if things aren’t going well then they can almost become a hinderence.

Yeah, because last season when we had no crowd and we were rubbish post lockdown was the crowd the reason.

He is right.

This team has belief. It can win the league this season with a bit of fortune with injuries.

We, as a fanbase have to believe.

Newcastle fans cost them the title in 96/97 by becoming too nervous. Man City struggled and where lucky to face Stoke in a cup final to end 30+ years of no trophies and QPR having Barton that day when Aguero had his moment to win the league.

Nervous energy spreads. We could do with winning the League Cup and League Title this season, then let us all back in :)

Status
Not open for further replies.