Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playmaker or No10. Or whatever. They aren't exactly common are they? Especially ones that are going to turn a team that finished 11th into a top 4 team and especially ones that can be bought on the drip.
I think we have a better squad than when we finished 5th. It's up to Martinez now.

You can have one who starts outside but has the ability to drift inside and find space between lines. That's not Del's game. I like the lad but he cant adapt to that. He's a winger and very good at what he does too.

Isn't that what Mirallas tries to do?

Martinez said he wanted a play maker, defender and striker, he got 2 of those, but he also said he wouldn't buy for the sake of it. So after the Yarmolenko deal didn't happen, they kept moving the goalposts, Martinez obviously didn't fancy any other play maker. Decent transfer window in my opinion.
Kiev was a very strange place to start and end the search though mate.

The club sounds very unstable to me. Martinez should have at least secured a loan move for a creative player who can make things happen in behind Lukaku. He had months to do it in. This board are a shambles and will always be at fault at root. But RM has to take some of the blame here.

I think the window has been good. Not great but certainly not one to fume over.
We picked up some promising players and in Del and Cleverley a couple of useful 1st teamers.
I wish we had added the dazzling playmaker but if it wasn't to be so be it.

My biggest worry is whether Martinez is too loyal to his players. I am happy we kept Stones as long as he remains comitted to the cause. No one outside of the club will know the true extent of the fallout from the media driven campaign to get him to Chelsea.
Also rejecting 8m for Naismith. I like Steven, and he has scored a few important goals for us, but at times he slows play up and he isn't getting any younger. From a business sense that deal looked hard to turn down. But we did, and he appears to be a very likeable bloke to have around the club.

It's been frustrating. We all wanted that playmaker, that player who could add another dimension to our attack. And it's not through lack of money that we didn't succeed. We bid good money for Yarmalenko, we didn't lowball them, and apparently we've had talks with Kiev even in the last 48 hours, when there was no question of getting any Stones money.

Darth is right, the window's not been awful by any means, and let's hear some more celebration by the way of the manner in which we've held on to Stones, which has sent a resounding message to everyone in the football world. Whether or not we can step up from last season I think a lot is going to depend on players who didn't perform last time around - Ross Barkley for one needs to have a big season for us.

abandon.gif

Kiev was a very strange place to start and end the search though mate.

The club sounds very unstable to me. Martinez should have at least secured a loan move for a creative player who can make things happen in behind Lukaku. He had months to do it in. This board are a shambles and will always be at fault at root. But RM has to take some of the blame here.

I think that is a reasonable critique Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.