Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez hinted that the Merseyside side were unlikely to make any major signings ahead of the new Premier League season, which begins on Aug. 8.

The Spanish-born boss was speaking in Singapore before his club's opening match of the Barclays Asia Trophy against Stoke City on Wednesday night.

Last summer, Everton signed Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku for a five-year contract, worth a record fee of £28 million but Martinez says a similar deal wasn't on the cards.

"At the moment we're just looking to build on what we've done in the last four [transfer] windows," Martinez said.

"I think now we've got a really strong group, We've probably got the most exciting youngsters that you're going to see in the league, we've got exceptional leaders and players with an incredible experience and at the best moment of their careers. I think that mixture is perfect."

Earlier this month, Everton signed former Barcelona winger Gerard Deulofeu, who had a loan spell with them in the 2013-14 season, for a reported fee of £4.2 million.

But Martinez added that he was open to strengthening the squad before the transfer window closes at the end of August for the right price.

"Yes we're going to use the window until the very last day because there is a couple of positions we need to strengthen, but the focus goes into the players we already have," he said.
I think that is incredibly stupid, we're not going to have more than two or three new players I don't see how that's going to take anything away from our current squad, if anything it's worse because the squad have all worked together and have the squad as it is and then after we've already started playing games, everyone's roles are set and then brand new faces then come into it when once we have all ready started. It then makes it later into the season until those new players settle.

It's not like holding off the players go any cheaper if anything the later into the window you get the less likely clubs want to sell because those teams can't get replacements themselves. The longer we wait the more of our targets we have will be signed by other teams or re-signed to current clubs. Giving us less time to put in a plan B incase our plans don't work.

Those quotes and that mindset really annoy me.

I really don't understand why people thought this TV deal would be any different to the previous ones.

Every TV deal has been a record breaking deal, we spend a bit in the first few windows then it's back to sell to buy again. The TV money always ends up in the players and agents pockets.

FFS we borrow against future TV money, and people honestly believe they will provide a new stadium for us.

We are a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.