Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton manager Roberto Martinez hinted that the Merseyside side were unlikely to make any major signings ahead of the new Premier League season, which begins on Aug. 8.

The Spanish-born boss was speaking in Singapore before his club's opening match of the Barclays Asia Trophy against Stoke City on Wednesday night.

Last summer, Everton signed Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku for a five-year contract, worth a record fee of £28 million but Martinez says a similar deal wasn't on the cards.

"At the moment we're just looking to build on what we've done in the last four [transfer] windows," Martinez said.

"I think now we've got a really strong group, We've probably got the most exciting youngsters that you're going to see in the league, we've got exceptional leaders and players with an incredible experience and at the best moment of their careers. I think that mixture is perfect."

Earlier this month, Everton signed former Barcelona winger Gerard Deulofeu, who had a loan spell with them in the 2013-14 season, for a reported fee of £4.2 million.

But Martinez added that he was open to strengthening the squad before the transfer window closes at the end of August for the right price.

"Yes we're going to use the window until the very last day because there is a couple of positions we need to strengthen, but the focus goes into the players we already have," he said.

I agree that we are financially hamstrung. The burst in TV money has been absorbed by increased player/staff wages and reversing losses from previous years. Revenue growth from 'traditional' sources is pretty static and I cannot see this changing without a decade of stellar performances (lifting global profile, merchandising etc). But such concerted, consistent stellar performance is unlikely without money. It's the old vicious circle/catch 22 situation. FFP has altered the impact of a sugar daddy new owner, although obviously if one was to stump up with investment to improve commercial revenue then that would catalyse breaking the catch 22 situation referred to earlier. Personally, I think the likelihood of some white knight riding in is so remote as to be discounted totally.
In short, we are a mature business and thus very vulnerable to the SKY money spigots being turned down. Fortunately, for the next 4 years at least, this won't happen. But that money is available to all PL clubs, so doesn't provide a competitive advantage.
In short, the present status quo won't be changing for the foreseeable future and in fact, looking beyond 4 years, without prudent financial management, Everton (and many other PL clubs) could be quite vulnerable.
Can you translate that into english mate?
hmmmm.... I'll see.

*Checks Google translate into Peppa Pig narration option*

nah sorry mate, you're just going to have to try occasionally reading words of more than two syllables. :-(

Everton manager Roberto Martinez hinted that the Merseyside side were unlikely to make any major signings ahead of the new Premier League season, which begins on Aug. 8.

The Spanish-born boss was speaking in Singapore before his club's opening match of the Barclays Asia Trophy against Stoke City on Wednesday night.

Last summer, Everton signed Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku for a five-year contract, worth a record fee of £28 million but Martinez says a similar deal wasn't on the cards.

"At the moment we're just looking to build on what we've done in the last four [transfer] windows," Martinez said.

"I think now we've got a really strong group, We've probably got the most exciting youngsters that you're going to see in the league, we've got exceptional leaders and players with an incredible experience and at the best moment of their careers. I think that mixture is perfect."

Earlier this month, Everton signed former Barcelona winger Gerard Deulofeu, who had a loan spell with them in the 2013-14 season, for a reported fee of £4.2 million.

But Martinez added that he was open to strengthening the squad before the transfer window closes at the end of August for the right price.

"Yes we're going to use the window until the very last day because there is a couple of positions we need to strengthen, but the focus goes into the players we already have," he said.
If you're going to quote something you might as well tell us what cesspool of Kopite nonsense published it???

Bobby said he was looking to bring another two in before the window ends.

Which paper managed to totally quote him out of context?

Theyre saving money for new stadium x.

Bobby said even before the window opened we were looking to get 1 or 2 in early and a couple more we may have to be a little bit patient with.
Makes me wonder possibly van dijk, as celtic have said they want to keep him for the champs league qualifiers?
Also makes me wonder are barca looking to get their transfer ban lifted and there is someone he has his eye on there?
Or is it a little later in the window that emerson boyce comes availible

Tut......I feel dead mean now. I meant no harm, Even less offence, What I should of scrawled instead.... I rarely understand what you write, your obviously a very intelligent blue x :( sorry dude.

Inteligence and using a thesaurus dont always come hand in hand

So CB & ACM coming in. If Mirallas Stays Lennon might not be seen here after all.

Obvious that we will be looking at CB and Martinez has said before he wants a natural number 10.
Id get Lennon in and push mirallas upfront as competition to Rom cos Kone is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.