Transfer Window rating

Out of 10, what's your rating of our Window?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we less off with goals really, Maupay will get 8-10 same as Richy, if Gordon can up his scoring from 4 to 8 and hopefully Grey will get the same amount as last season and McNeil will hopefully start scoring
Hopefully we get DCL back soon and keep him fit for the rest of the season. I do like the signing of Maupay.

It’s not about being less off with goals, it’s about scoring more. We only scored 43 last season and Richy scored 10 of those.

I see what you mean, but there’s a lot hope that they’ll start scoring:

McNeil (7 in 139 in PL)
Gray (16 in 172 in PL)
Gordon (6 in 54 in PL) 2 in 5 a good start.

Can’t help thinking that maybe .. just maybe .. the board are hoping to pick up someone after WC.

Where some stupid prices being banded about and we ain’t Chelsea/City or even thanks the Lord the RS

…I’d be surprised if we don’t strengthen that area in January, but not specifically because of the WC. You always run the risk of false inflation for a player who impresses in Tournament football.

We are in the process of a rebuild and under the financial restrictions due to poor buys and kee jerks of previous managers/DoFs.

The one area people are mainly moaning about is up top. Frank clearly has a plan and wanted Maupay as cover for Dom - he explained this a couple of weeks ago. He clearly saw defense and midfield as the priorities and I think he was right. If you don't get walked through every match you are less likely to concede. If you don't concede you don't get beat. Footy basics that and has to be the starting point, unless you are Kevin Keegan.

This is good business under that lense.

Loaned - First Team: Dele Alli (Besiktas, Turkey), Jarrad Branthwaite (PSV, Holland), Jean-Philippe Gbamin (Trabzonspor, Turkey), Andre Gomes (LOSC Lille, France), Niels Nkounkou (Cardiff City, Championship), Joao Virginia (Cambuur, Holland)
Youth: Ryan Astley (Accrington, League One), Nathan Broadhead (Wigan, Championship), Lewis Dobbin (Derby County, Championship), Lewis Gibson (Bristol Rovers, League One), Tyler Onyango (Burton Albion, League One), Ellis Simms (, Sunderland Championship), Harry Tyrer (Chester, National League North), Lewis Warrington (Fleetwood Town)

Released - Fabian Delph, Jonjoe Kenny (Hertha Berlin, Germany), Gylfi Sigurdsson, Cenk Tosun (Besiktas, Turkey)

Incoming​

Transferred - James Garner (Manchester United, Premier League), Idrissa Gueye (PSG, France), Neal Maupay (Brighton, Premier League), Dwight McNeil (Burnley, Championship), Amadou Onana (Lille, France)

Loaned - Conor Coady (Wolves), Ruben Vinagre (Sporting CP, Portugal)

Free Agents - James Tarkowski (Burnley, Championship)
Including Richy thats 19 outs & 8 ins .

Squad looks leaner yet stronger and financially healthier.
Just a pity we couldn't top it off with another forward.

Hopefully we get Dominic Calvert-Lewin back soon and keep him fit for the rest of the season. I do like the signing of Maupay.

It’s not about being less off with goals, it’s about scoring more. We only scored 43 last season and Richy scored 10 of those.

McNeil (7 in 139 in PL)
Gray (16 in 172 in PL)
Gray got 7 last year
Gordon 4 last year. I’d expect he get 8-10 this year

You can win the league by only scoring 38 goals and winning 1-0 every game

Defence looks much more solid after additions of Coady and Tarkowski on a loan and a free. Great business Bravo

Midfield completely revamped , we finally replaced Gueye ...with Gueye ! Onana and Garner look like they have bright futures. Gomes gone and hopefully we now get to see very little of Davies and Dacoure. I'm well pleased with our options in Midfield. Well done Kevin.

Attack is the area we look weak, Hopefully Maupay hits the ground running, McNeil greatly improves his stats and DCL has learned how to shoot a football if he manages to stay fit.

….putting aside who did and didn’t come in, we have played 5 league games and 1 cup game without an effective striker. That isn’t just inefficient, it’s negligence & could prove very costly.

Maupay or AN Other should’ve been acquired as soon as Dominic Calvert-Lewin was injured. Thelwell has to be held accountable for not filling that obvious void & I reflected that in my score.

Only time will tell if the players that come in improve us on last season, but I think we have a potential super player in Onana. Generally I’d say;

Defensively - stronger
Midfield - stronger
Attacking threat - weaker

January isn’t too far off and I can see us addressing our weakness in attack but we should have been quicker off the mark in this window.
This.

I like some of the business we’ve done. Onana looks very promising and garner is the type of player I always advocate signing so I’m pleased we’ve gone in that direction. Some of it I’m less happy with, but I don’t think anyone we’ve signed is likely to be a total disaster, which is a step up on most years, and fingers crossed we’ve solved the midfield issues which is a big thing.

It’s really tough to grade it at this point. Some of the signings for the future mean it could turn out to be a 8/10 but I can’t help feeling we haven’t given ourselves enough firepower to stay out of trouble, and if we go down then it’s a definite 0/10 for me. We’ve put ourselves under unnecessary pressure i think, but let’s hope the positives end up outweighing the negatives.

Hopefully we get Dominic Calvert-Lewin back soon and keep him fit for the rest of the season. I do like the signing of Maupay.

McNeil (7 in 139 in PL)
Gray (16 in 172 in PL)

It was his goal involvements too.

And as you say, you look at every other attacker we have and we're relying on some to do what they've never done before.

Defence looks much more solid after additions of Coady and Tarkowski on a loan and a free. Great business Bravo

Midfield completely revamped , we finally replaced Gueye ...with Gueye ! Onana and Garner look like they have bright futures. Gomes gone and hopefully we now get to see very little of Davies and Dacoure. I'm well pleased with our options in Midfield. Well done Kevin.

Attack is the area we look weak, Hopefully Maupay hits the ground running, McNeil greatly improves his stats and Dominic Calvert-Lewin has learned how to shoot a football if he manages to stay fit.
We will create a lot more chances.

We will score more goals this season and we will concede less. Vault me.

We're just a better team now.

We no longer desperately need Mina now. His injury record, contract, and the business we've done this summer, have rendered him an afterthought at this point. If he's fit, great. He won't be missed though, in my view. The negatives far outweigh any positives.

We will play better football this season. I'm not talking about aesthetics here, I'm talking actual better football. We'll compete better in midfield, and we'll defend better. These are ultimately the foundations that any team is built on.

Status
Not open for further replies.