Transfer Window Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy man here, but like others hoping that the profits will be spent in Jan. I think BK told Martinez he could spend it all.

In two I will fly over to go to my first game at Goodison for years and hope the crowd will really start to get behind our new boss and it starts to click into place with us beating Chelsea.

As an Irishman, and generally a big fan, I for one am delighted we have McCarthy.

In: Permanent Robles, Alcaraz, McCarthy, Kone Loan Barry, Deulofeu, Lukaku

Out: Mucha, Neville, Hitzlsperger, Fellaini, Anichebe

Goalkeeper: Improved competition

Defence: Improved with Alcaraz over Neville, who was finished. Increase competition with Stones' emergence.

Midfield: Potentially decreased the quality of our first XI with the loss of Fellaini, but definitely increased the quality of depth with Deulofeu, Barry and McCarthy.

Forward: Increased the quality of our first XI substantially and the quality in depth. Lukaku should be fantastic, a really physical forward who also knows where the back of the net is.

Conclusion: We're going into the season with a significantly stronger squad. So long as we spent some of our money back (which could be in the region of £15m+) in the next two transfer windows then I'll be happy with the business overall.

rather have kept fellaini than have mccarthy
lukaku - excellent , but its a loan so its a stop gap. where does it leave jelavic and kone ?
why sign kone if hes gonna play 2nd or 3rd fiddle ?
i also think id rather have a young evertonian in anichebe than an aging kone.
barry , 32 another stop gap.
so when the loanees leave thats 3 players we need to replace along with the ageing players already in the squad.
just my opinion , but short term yes we have done well . but long term i dont think we have made any progress, in fact i think we have gone backwards.
32.5 million in the bank ? yea lets wait and see how much of that we see.

Pretty much what I'm saying + don't forget the additional transfer money will go on wages I imagine. A lot of players in on good wedge...Barry apparently 100k a week were paying !!

I just worry that RM is looking a bit too short term. McCarthy is the only player who you could say might become a backbone of the side for the next 5 years. The rest will have no sell-on value or we will never able to afford to make permanent.

Best transfer window since I don't know when. Absolutley delighted. Thrilled and truly looking forward to this season more than in may a long year.

Total disgrace and Martinez has spunked all the cash down the toilet basically;

Ex Wigan;

Robles -- 1.5mil reserve keeper
Kone - 6,5mil reserve forward
Alcaraz - Signing fee for an injury prone 6th centre back
McCarthy - 13mil obviously Martinez first choice

Loans

Barry - Paying 100k a week for him
Deulofeu - No chance to buy later
Lukaku - No chance to buy later

Out

Fellaini - 27.5mil a good price but one of our top two players.
Anichebe - 5mil good fee

Firstly, £5m for Kone, £700k for Robles.

Lukaku is a big improvement on Anichebe, or any of our strikers, regardless of short-term or not. How big do you think the signing on fee for the 3rd choice centreback is? We are NOT paying £100k per week for Gareth barry, simple as.
-

Biggest load of rubbish I've thread on here today.

Felli fee (once tfr rqst in we had to sell realistically) and lukaku obviously huge positive

I think too many writing off Barry (32 - not that old as players regularly at best until 34/5 nowadays) and I like most people if they're honest don't know enough about McCarthy to judge whether fee too much. What is clear is he is a young, but experienced PL & international who our manager massively rates and that's enough for me. Also could Barry be perfect person for him to learn from in same position for 12/24 months?

Bigger picture people?

We didn't shift Heitinga;
We didn't shift Gueye;
We didn't bring in a right-sided midfielder;
We have lost a physical presence in midfield;
We didn't improve the creativity in central midfield;
We didn't actually increase the size of the permanent squad - three of our recent signings are loans who will be gone by the end of May 2014.
We overpaid for McCarthy IMHO
We did not squeeze United hard enough for Felli IMHO

We DID sell Anichebe for a decent price IMHO;
We DID bring in CM cover (one more in than went out)
We DID massively upgrade our front line IMHO (admittedly only on loan)
We do have a chunk of change left over.

Hard to be happy about anything other than the Lukaku and Anichebe deals if I'm honest.

I put this in the Baines/Fellaini thread but worth repeating here:

I know it's not popular here to praise the Management of Everton but I have to say from my perspective - Congratulations on a fantastic Window.

We've strengthened the squad undeniably, kept Baines (our most valuable player from a footballing perspective) and strengthened the financial position of the club, all in all a good night's business. And before I get shot down for saying it, it is important that our finances are strengthened even with greater tv revenues in the future.

Our ability to compete for talent in future windows depends on our relative financial strength and the quality of our team manager - it seems that Martinez has not only performed well, but is a manager that can attract talent to the club.

Feeling very optimistic for the coming months....

The people saying we won't have a prayer of signing the loannees are maybe spouting rubbish. Ok we have no chance of signing Gerard but Barry is out of contract in the summer and if he does well may well end up here and the way Mourinho gets rid of random players there is a fair chance Lukaku will never play for Chelsea so he may be a possible signing too in the long run.

The people saying we won't have a prayer of signing the loannees are maybe spouting rubbish. Ok we have no chance of signing Gerard but Barry is out of contract in the summer and if he does well may well end up here and the way Mourinho gets rid of random players there is a fair chance Lukaku will never play for Chelsea so he may be a possible signing too in the long run.

There's no chance of us signing Lukaku lad. If he doesn't stay at Chelsea he'll go to another CL team, he's class.

Here lids.

All confirmed here:
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2013/09/02/blues-confirm-five-deals

Everton have agreed deals which will see three new faces arrive at Goodison Park, with two players departing the Blues.

Marouane Fellaini has moved to Manchester United for a £27.5m fee, with Victor Anichebe heading to West Brom for a fee which could rise to £6m.

Coming into Goodison are James McCarthy for £13m on a long term deal and a pair of season long loan deals for Romelu Lukaku and Gareth Barry.

All five deals were confirmed on the stroke of Monday night's transfer deadline. Fellaini's exit ended a summer long period of speculation after the Belgium international emerged as one of former Everton manager David Moyes' prime targets for his new club.

Roberto Martinez moved to boost his midfield by signing James McCarthy from his own former club Wigan Athletic.

The highly-rated 22-year old arrives with an impressive reputation as one of the game's brightest young talents.

Also arriving at Goodison is Chelsea's powerful striker Romelu Lukaku. The frontman, 20, switched from the Stamford Bridge outfit after enjoying a productive temporary spell at West Brom last season - when he plundered 17 goals from 20 starts.

Lukaku's arrival offsets the departure of Anichebe to West Brom - the academy graduate moving to the Midlands after making 168 appearances and scoring 33 goals for the Blues.

The final piece of the deadline day jigsaw sees England international and Premier League and FA Cup winner Gareth Barry arrive from Manchester City. The 32-year-old brings a wealth of experience to the Everton midfield having also played for Aston Villa in the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.