Top Flight leading goal-scorers

Status
Not open for further replies.

...when I was little my dad told me Dean used to take penalties with his head. I was as gullible then as I am now.

My grandad used to tell me what I now believe to be an apocryphal tale, but when I was a boy I thought it was true, that Dixie was walking down Lime Street one day and legendary RS goalie Lish Scott was walking toward him from the opposite direction.

Dixie nodded at him in greeting and Lish dived into the gutter lol

The strikers of that era were my boyhood heroes, Adrian Heath, Andy Grey, Graham Sharp and for one fleeting season, Gary Lineker. I refuse to hear any wrong about any of them.
Nothing wrong with any of them, it was a different game in those days. Strikers didn't have to track back, and you didn't defend with 11 men behind the ball (unless you were Arsenal!).

My grandad used to tell me what I now believe to be an apocryphal tale, but when I was a boy I thought it was true, that Dixie was walking down Lime Street one day and legendary RS goalie Lish Scott was walking toward him from the opposite direction.

Dixie nodded at him in greeting and Lish dived into the gutter lol

My father used to tell me the same tale. I believed it too.

I thought of Roy Vernon in 1962-63 but then instantly thought of Jimmy Greaves with Spurs, which it was with Thirty
Seven goals, wow, good job we had Alex Young weighing in to help Vernon that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.