Tony Cottee on TalkSport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just on there this morning saying that the downturn in form could be partially down the the negative attitude of the fans. What do we reckon to that? I reckon there could be some truth in it.

Probably a fair enough comment, loads of teams will have the crowd rocking before the game and being a cauldron of noise during the game, soon as we kick off you can hear a pin drop - if the away supporters not making a racket that is.

The fans at the game deserve better than what we are getting on the pitch and if the team bothered to attack without going backwards or giving the ball away I'm sure it would be better. I think the crowd could look at themselves also though, go back to the Arsenal game last season, after they scored the stadium got behind the team and didn't really stop until the end which helped them get a result. Perhaps we need to have more of that, especially while we are struggling for form. Or at least can the groans until the second half.

Yeah , those thousands of fans who travelled all the way to Brighton were disgraceful, if it hadn’t have been for them depressing our usually bubbly and brilliant players we would have won 3-0. ‘Sake why bother with these ex players who know if they don’t say something controversial they won’t be back , so most of the time just spout garbage.

was that the only thing u had never seen? Glad to complete your life :)

you my friend have completed my life, I mean asif you have thought of a scenario where fans booing at 0-0 would lead to jags giving the ball away and the other team scoring. if a few fans is effecting a 30 odd year old man into making silly mistakes then he should be playing at a lower level.

he is experienced enough to not let a few groans effect him

So you think it does them good? The players being told they are sh1te?

I think it does them worse that they clearly live in fear of their manager personally

Again, the idea that we as fans are to blame plays nicely into our own self loathing. We'll happily accept that it's our fault, the ticket buying match goer, as opposed to the manager and club hierarchy who are being paid handsomely to get something out of these players and are failing miserably

Yeah, it might not help that we're unhappy, but that's not what's being implied. What's being implied is that we as fans are causing this to happen, as opposed to us being a symptom of a much bigger problem

Every club has boo boys, the difference with us is that we have had years of mediocre football and little to cheer about and we don't attract pot hunters or the prawn sandwich mob, which makes a difference. I hate it when I hear individual players getting stick, it's counter productive and hardly constitutes calling yourself a 'supporter,' but if the team gets a roasting it's the only way of getting through to the board and manager that what is being served up is unacceptable.

It's our club, our team and we have every right to express our feelings when the manager looks so hopelessly lost. Managers and players will come and go, we are stuck with this for life and as such we are fully justified in having our say. Dot Cottee is wrong, if we were playing good football and looked confident but weren't getting the rub of the green then most of us would be behind the team, but we know when something is very wrong.

PS What's happened to Davek? I thought he'd be all over this thread telling us he was right all along.

He’s right though. Just look at the way a section of our fans abused Lukaku, Stones and Barkley. No wonder none of them want to play for us and we’re stuck with the dross we have now. Our fans are honestly among the worst in the country.
The majority of football fans are the same - the exception being the new generation of sky fans (plus geordies) who accept any old crap because its their team.

I agree, but it only happens because the fans have given him this opportunity.
Fans have a right to be critical though, maybe some are always too harsh, but BK would have more credibility if he came out and defended a player's mistakes from overly harsh criticism (from the fans or even rk), but he doesn't, he only does it to cover his own feck ups.
The truth here is we hardly ever get on the back of a player/manager/director that's trying hard as a minimum benchmark.

you my friend have completed my life, I mean asif you have thought of a scenario where fans booing at 0-0 would lead to jags giving the ball away and the other team scoring. if a few fans is effecting a 30 odd year old man into making silly mistakes then he should be playing at a lower level.

he is experienced enough to not let a few groans effect him

I agree he should be immune to all that but hes only human and in all likelihood him getting booed for passing it back will change his mindset next time hes in the same situation, wonder if Holgate will think twice aswell and just hoof it up field instead. I was at the game on Sunday and couldn't believe it when he got booed for it, at 0-0 ffs. Then we go 1-0 down and all I hear is 'your getting sacked in the morning', wtf, If I was an Everton player (or manager) I would think [Poor language removed] u to the fans, think Ill take the quickest exit out of the club.....ala Rom, Barkley, Stones etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.