2017/18 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every team needs a defensive midfielder + a central midfielder.

Gana should be rotated with schneiderlin as a 'zonal' defensive midfielder.

You cant play a central midfielder who loses the ball as much as Gana.

As for Davies, I'm not sure how you compare him to Mark Noble?

A neat and tidy player who will do well for a Premier League side. Quite similar imo.

In terms of stand out attributes that'd turn him into a top player I don't think he's quite there.

I just picked out these 2 posts but there have been others...

I cant comprehend the logic 'he shouldn't start every game'.

Do you mean in defensive/central/right/left/attacking midfield? Because he gets shunted around so much of course he cant show consistency.

Play him EVERY GAME in central midfield.
No Zat.
He has not acheived the consistency to play in ANY position yet.
Had a big impact coming on last week as did Vlasic (similar age ) last night ,he is a good way off being a 1st team mainstay yet.Tom is a fantastic young prospect lets not ruin him eh.

Just madness. What you're basically advocating is him starting every game instead of Gueye because that's who plays the central midfield role in our team.

People rave about Davies as though he's a future England captain when actually it's far more likely he'll be a Mark Noble type player.
Ageed...but he is a far better player than Noble ....even now.

That he may be, but he was very very bad yesterday and people are discussing it in the Tom Davies thread.

Just making sure there is some perspective here frandel

We're very quick to get stuck in to the young lads around these parts, just wanted to plant a seed in everyone's minds in hopes that the dogs aren't fully unleashed upon the lad after a so-so performance. Because that's all it was. The badness of it is being exaggerated. Not his best game but there were still things he did well

It's a service I provide gratis for the fine folk of this forum

Just making sure there is some perspective here frandel

We're very quick to get stuck in to the young lads around these parts, just wanted to plant a seed in everyone's minds in hopes that the dogs aren't fully unleashed upon the lad after a so-so performance. Because that's all it was, the badness of it is being exaggerated

It's a service I provide gratis for the fine folk of this forum

IMO yesterday he was the only one of the midfield who was trying to get the ball forward, he was terrible when he was played on the left - but yeah he isn't a bloody left sided player so that was naturally gonna happen. Thought he actually had an ok game considering what was happening around with Sandro and Rooney being absolutely clueless

For our second goal thought he was the one who quickened us up and got it forward with a great ball to Rooney, replaced by Klassen who was god awful terrible

IMO yesterday he was the only one of the midfield who was trying to get the ball forward, he was terrible when he was played on the left - but yeah he isn't a bloody left sided player so that was naturally gonna happen. Thought he actually had an ok game considering what was happening around with Sandro and Rooney being absolutely clueless

For our second goal thought he was the one who quickened us up and got it forward with a great ball to Rooney, replaced by Klassen who was god awful terrible

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to pretend he was Pele or anything last night but, as you have pointed out, there were certainly things he did well

Ultimately, young players like Tom have to be graded on a scale IMO. Some may find that unfair, but I think it's necessary

Vets like Williams are on a different scale, because there's a certain level of competency that they should be displaying every time they go out there, because they've been doing this for years. Only fair if you ask me

Davies, because he isn't the fully formed player yet, shouldn't be graded on that scale, because he isn't a beneficiary of all those years of experience

Just my opinion of course, but I feel it's valid and I also believe it bares repeating when a young lad doesn't have an amazing game

One summer is not made by a swallow, and one career is not made by one so-so performance on the pitch

I'm just providing a counterpoint to the norm in order that we don't go OTT in sticking the boot in on young Tom

The best thing for him is to get right back on the horse this Sunday IMO. Sooner he goes out and has his usual good performance the better

Said my piece now, so I'll be offski methinks

Status
Not open for further replies.